Would the best Hawk players be as good on another team

seabowl

Reaction score
Just curious what everybody thinks here. Would players such as Sherm, Russ, ET, Kam, Beast, etc... be considered as good as they are right now if they had played on another team or in another system? Maybe a better way to put it is how good would they be if they never became Hawks playing under Pete and the rest of the bunch? Are they great players or a product of what has been put in place here? To use one player as an example IMO Sherm would have a tough time being as good as he is right now on most other teams. Obviously it depends on what team and situation they would be put in so give you best opinion/analysis.

Jville

Reaction score
Who we become is a reflection of where we have been.

Sac

Reaction score
All the great players on the Seahawks would likely be great players elsewhere. But the fact that so many great players are on one team, and actually play as a team, make them greater than the sum of their parts.

sutz

Reaction score
No player-by-player breakdown, but I suspect most would not. It seems too many FOs/HCs have pre-conceived notions about what players should look like and how they should play, and while most parrot the words, not many excel at "setting players up to succeed" as well as Pete has done.

After all, look at where some of our best players were drafted. Strong indication that even if they were drafted by another team, they would have been forced to play in ways that don't necessarily reflect their strengths. It looks like the rest of the league is catching up, especially with the number of big corners that are being drafted now, but P & J were the pioneers. All over the Seahawks there are players that could probably excel elsewhere, but would they get the chance? Pete and John look for specific things, and look past things like 'measurables' to a certain extent. They're searching for football players that fit niches in our team and can fulfill a role for us that other teams might not be able to.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I agree with Sac.
And will add that being a Seahawk in this era will make any player better.

Anybody with goals should know that surrounding themselves with like minded people, is very important.
:{)

Steve2222

Reaction score
No. The Seahawks players are all just average NFL players. It's Pete Carroll's magical system that makes them elite.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Steve2222":br5t1sbb said:
No. The Seahawks players are all just average NFL players. It's Pete Carroll's magical system that makes them elite.
No. Percy Harvin excelled in Minnesota, he's a freak. Russell Wilson would be great on any team he plays for. Cliff Avril was a beast with Detroit. I could go on. Earl? Seriously? He's a freak too.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1bb3omdr said:
Steve2222":1bb3omdr said:
No. Percy Harvin excelled in Minnesota, he's a freak. Russell Wilson would be great on any team he plays for. Cliff Avril was a beast with Detroit. I could go on. Earl? Seriously? He's a freak too.

Do...you think Steve2222 was serious??

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
RW in Philly would probably win over Jaws because he'd see more Russell.
RW backing up RG3 would = controversy year 1 when RG3 went down. RW would have won over the DC crowd in Shanahan's offense with his intelligence, elusiveness, clutchness and leadership.
Baldwin would have proved he belonged anywhere he went.
Same with ET.
Sherman may have been a two way player ala Patrick Peterson on some teams. Only difference would be he's 6'4" with great hands and reaction as a corner or wideout. Just my 2 sense werth.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Is every coaching staff as good at maximizing player potential as ours? No.

minormillikin

Reaction score
No, they would not be. Some might be nearly as good (Sherman, Russ, Earl), but most would not. I'll tell you who doesn't know this: The players themselves.

This is why the team will be slowly disbanded over the years, as each player demands a couple more million than the Seahawks can offer, thinking they will become great stars on other teams. Another thing they don't know, because they are young and lack perspective, is that they would become much more "successful" by taking a few million less in salary as Seahawks and becoming such a perfectly cohesive unit that no one could compete at their level.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the system and staff they go to, our players excel due to a staff that fits the players strengths to a system and lets them play to them, many coaches are dedicated to their system and want the players to adapt to it, it's why so many name players that want to be traded disappear from the radar after a trade. Their strengths do not fit the system and a staff wants to change how they play a position.

You see it in Football and Basketball all the time.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Let's take it a step further: Without our A+ coaching staff, many of these players would not even be in the league...and without PC and Paul Allen we wouldn't have this great coaching staff or G.M.

Rarely do you see a coaching staff remain together after winning a Super Bowl.

Ruminator

Reaction score
This is the reason I've been looking forward to watching certain other teams with greater interest compared to a typical year, with several recently departed ex-Seahawks who did well here now scattered. It is an interesting opportunity to watch and see how well Giacomini, Tate, Browner, Bryant*, Clemons*, Thurmond, and even Maragos do under a different system compared to their past contributions as a Seahawk -- complex intangibles notwithstanding. Yes there are a number of ex-Seahawks newly signed to other teams every year, but this particular group will be especially interesting to at least track. Will they be able to duplicate their performance? Drop off? Do even better? We'll see.

* My sympathies for these two who must now endure a seriously dumb helmet design

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I know that I will get to watch Tate every Sunday now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch was already pretty good when the Seahawks acquired him from the Bills. Russ Wilson is smart enough that he would add value to another team. Same for the others. I'm happy these guys are Seahawks and just enjoying the ride. Not worrying about whether they would be good on another team. I hope they just keep them on our team. We already know they are good here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's the beauty of what Pete and John are doing, guys like Sherman, Kam, Wilson, Baldwin, Kearse, etc would have never been given the chance to shine on another team.

So no, I don't think these guys would be as good on another team, because they wouldn't have had the confidence and attention needed to learn how to play the right way instilled in them that Pete and John have instilled.