Big Red sounded bitter

Blitzer88

Reaction score
On the ESPN Monday Night Football, they interviewed Big Red and Clem. Big Red was asked about they ended up in Jacksonville and Big Red said that "its what have you done for me lately and I guess what we did for them lately wasn't good enough." When he said that I got kinda sad, I felt like both him and Clem both gave a lot to this team and organization. Anyone else catch the interview?

King Dog

Reaction score
I would love if they were both on the roster, but I guess the $$ didn't work out. Good luck to them.

They should be very thankful and gratuitous towards the Hawks FO though. Red didn't work out as a traditional DT (and most likely would have been out of the league) and Clem didn't do jack squat until he came here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
What are they supposed to do? Overpay a limited DT? He got far more then logical at Jacksonville so be happy and play out your contract on a team that has a good chance to make the playoffs in the next year or two if not sooner.

Smellyman

Reaction score
they were cut because of money. I would be a little bitter too.

Would you rather be in Seattle or Jacksonville?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
What are they supposed to do? Overpay a limited DT? He got far more then logical at Jacksonville so be happy and play out your contract on a team that has a good chance to make the playoffs in the next year or two if not sooner.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
He probably is a little bitter but I don't blame him. Still one of my favorite Hawk personalities.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Red has said that he was never asked to reduce his pay. So, it's a bit unfair to use his $8.5M cap number against him. The team simply moved on. I'm sure many of us would feel 'tossed aside" if in a similar situation. Doesn't mean it wasn't the best football decision. But also doesn't mean this isn't a cold business.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3esgfmy8 said:
Red has said that he was never asked to reduce his pay. So, it's a bit unfair to use his $8.5M cap number against him. The team simply moved on. I'm sure many of us would feel 'tossed aside" if in a similar situation. Doesn't mean it wasn't the best football decision. But also doesn't mean this isn't a cold business.
It's damned cold and only the ignorant believe different. And it always has been since day 1. The guy will make more money just THIS year then 90% if not more, of the entire population of the world will in their entire life, so cry me a river of faux tears and then shut up and play.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":255oys0x said:
On the ESPN Monday Night Football, they interviewed Big Red and Clem. Big Red was asked about they ended up in Jacksonville and Big Red said that "its what have you done for me lately and I guess what we did for them lately wasn't good enough." When he said that I got kinda sad, I felt like both him and Clem both gave a lot to this team and organization. Anyone else catch the interview?

Don't feel too bad for them. Each of them made over 20M dollars playing football for the Seattle Seahawks. Red knew when he signed his deal in 2012 that he was going to see year 3 of the deal. No way no how are we paying 8-9M for a DE that is stops the run. You pay that kinda of green for a DE that sacks the QB.

Both Clem and Red got nice deals to provide leadership for prolly 2 years on JAC and will make more in those two years playing for Gus than they would in one for Seattle w/ the possibility to play beyond that.

Clem can make almost 10M this season alone based up sacks and playing time. He makes 5.4M if he never sees the field. Seattle it would've been zilch had he gotten hurt prior to the first game of the year.

Red- will very easily make about 9M this season.. more than he would've made in Seattle.. boo hoo.. he was a fool to think that was going to stick around and that possibly Sherm or Earl's deals would get delayed to appease him.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
I think it's hard to win games in this league and they are on a rebuilding roster and starting over....understandable to be somewhat upset, but it's a business and both players know that very well. Happy they got their rings and are always Hawks to me anyway.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
From 2012 to 2013 Red's base salary more than doubled while his snap count/percentage decreased as did his level of play.

Should the Hawks feel bitter about getting the raw end of that deal from 2012-2013? It's a two way street.

Jville

Reaction score
Sounded more like resignation to me. They are both in good hands with Gus.

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
I listened to it, but I didn't think he was bitter, maybe his response just came across as being irritated that he an Clem were no longer on the team. The reporter asked a sensitive question and I don't blame him for his feelings of being let go. I felt like Clem was being cautious after hearing Red on what to say next and only kept it positive. If I recall, Red also finished his statement something along the lines of 'what is going in Seattle can't be replicated'. He finished by giving props to his crew back home. When the reporter asked about Red and Clem about being in Jacksonville, he said they were going to start something new and said there was great talent on his new team. Good outlook. Money in the bank and ring on the finger.

Barthawk

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":2rxmsiri said:
I think it's hard to win games in this league and they are on a rebuilding roster and starting over....understandable to be somewhat upset, but it's a business and both players know that very well. Happy they got their rings and are always Hawks to me anyway.

Nice first post. I firmly believe that they both knew that when they got new deals prior to the 2012 season that they knew they would not see year 3 and that thought had to reaffirmed when Bennett and Avril were signed in 2013.

Love them both and will cheer my ass off when they both raise the flag someday.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
After he was released, Red said he would have been willing to take less money to stay with the Seahawks (ala Zach Miller) but was never asked.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Camp in Florida has got to suck for a big man.

I don't blame him a bit. We all know business is business, but the man had a child born in Seattle, his Father in Law was longtime Hawk, and he was an emotional leader for this team.

They have a model. It can feel heartless when the model does not include you.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":pdhp68f9 said:
Camp in Florida has got to suck for a big man.

I don't blame him a bit. We all know business is business, but the man had a child born in Seattle, his Father in Law was longtime Hawk, and he was an emotional leader for this team.

They have a model. It can feel heartless when the model does not include you.

Good point about the family aspect Scott.. that sometimes gets lost in the dollars and cents of a deal. His wife prolly spent the majority of her life in Seattle.. I never thought about that... but, in the small scheme of things... he spends 2-3 years in J-ville and makes more money than he would've in Seattle and then they can move back if this is the place they want to be.

Maybe being military I am a little jaded on having to move to a new place because of a job.. there were a few places (Ft Lewis) that I loved at the time and was pissed that I had to leave. Now, I live in San Antonio and love it..

It is a business and they both are young men with more than half their lives ahead of them.. yes it blows to go from the greatest team in the history of pro sports to the redneck riveria.. but it is temporary.. I am sure Clemons is more than happy to be less than 2hrs from his hometown.

I will say it did suck a little seeing them play tonight and not be in blue.. Clem looks amazing.. bigger, faster.. his knee is fully healed and will kick ass I think.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I hope he does well and helps Jax make a playoff push, but Im happy with the move.