NFL.com latest power rankings

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Can't say I have a problem with being ranked #5. I think we're better than that, but we haven't demonstrated it this regular season thus far. Doesn't help that we faced three of the five best QBs in the game to open the season with.

OP
OP
K

kpak76

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2g4milat said:
Can't say I have a problem with being ranked #5. I think we're better than that, but we haven't demonstrated it this regular season thus far. Doesn't help that we faced three of the five best QBs in the game to open the season with.

I'm not too concerned. They could name us 32 and I still don't really care. This is the NFL and your W-L indicates how good you are. I know its still small sample size but I really have no problem being where we are in this rankings after going 2-1. It does shock me a little that its the Bengels and not the Feagles that are #1 though.

Cartire

Reaction score
Dont care where were ranked, but these arent Power Rankings. He just took the standings with the exception of 2. Theres nothing power rankings about this.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Espn has us at number one, this one has us 5, who cares, it's all subjective opinion. The only power ranking that matters is the one where the team is holding the Lombardi trophy after the Super Bowl. Just my 2 cents worth.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Agree with Cartire. Elliot Harrison has a very lazy way of doing his rankings. Any of us can sort the NFL standings ourselves. I don't think anyone actually believes CIN/AZ/PHI are the three best teams in football. Keep in mind, these are also just the rankings of one guy. He has apparently made almost no effort to contextualize wins and losses across the league. [Insert "you only have one job" meme].

ESPN has SEA/CIN/DEN in the top three, which is a lot closer to the real perception of power within the NFL. See: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
NFL.com's rankings are definitely way more reactive than any of the other major Power Rankings this year. They are having huge swings every week. Where most rankings are trying to predict how good each team is in relation to each other, NFL's rankings seem to be more about moving teams around every week based on their record.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think the NFLs power rankings may have to do with being the official site of the league. Though we all know it to be true, you're insinuating unequal level of competition throughout the league by not having the teams with best records at the top. Not that power rankings are a big deal, but this clears the NFL writers of any perceived bias.

Seattle and Denver are the two best teams; while I believe San Diego to be quite good as well.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kpak76":18pe9c29 said:
RolandDeschain":18pe9c29 said:

I'm not too concerned. They could name us 32 and I still don't really care. This is the NFL and your W-L indicates how good you are. I know its still small sample size but I really have no problem being where we are in this rankings after going 2-1. It does shock me a little that its the Bengels and not the Feagles that are #1 though.
Not me because if things remain the same it will be Cincinnati in the Superbowl not Denver. They are very good on both sides of the ball. Right now I would say the 3 best AFC teams are Cincinnati, Denver and San Diego and each of them need HFA to have a reasonable shot of beating the other at playoff time.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kpak76":71nwqa60 said:
Sports Hernia":71nwqa60 said:
Espn has us at number one, this one has us 5, who cares, it's all subjective opinion. The only power ranking that matters is the one where the team is holding the Lombardi trophy after the Super Bowl. Just my 2 cents worth.

Speaking of, here is ESPN's list. Wow has the Niners have fallen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/4

Okay, I'm confused.

How is getting ranked by ESPN #1 possible with the deep-seeded hatred of the Sehawks I keep hearing about? Is this to lull Seahawks fans into a false sense of security so they can sucker punch them later?

kearly

Reaction score
It's kind of silly having SD over Seattle just because they beat them, or SD over Denver because they beat a team that beat Denver. By that logic, UW was better than Oregon in 2012 because they beat Stanford who beat Oregon.

DavidSeven nails it. Power Rankings should be more about the perception of the pecking order of the NFL. Simply looking at the standings can be misleading. Last year the Panthers and 49ers started 1-2, and turned out to be two of the best teams in the NFC.

If you are trying to determine the three best teams in the NFL right now, that list is clearly Seattle, Denver, Cincy, with a pretty big dropoff to the next team.

byau

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3nompd0i said:
Okay, I'm confused.

How is getting ranked by ESPN #1 possible with the deep-seeded hatred of the Sehawks I keep hearing about? Is this to lull Seahawks fans into a false sense of security so they can sucker punch them later?

There are a lot of power rankings out there, the fact that there is disparity means that the top teams are very close to each other , more than in pre-season when Seahawks were a clear # 1. With the teams now closer to each other, different analysts use different filters and you'll see more disparity.

To me, I still see the Seahawks as being #1 right now. A bad game was dominating Denver for a half and then getting an OT win from Denver.

For power rankings, I like listening to the "ESPN Football Today" podcast.

Every Tuesday the hosts Robert Flores and Matt Williamson do their power rankings

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2544457

Easy listening, not super in-depth analysis, pretty good analysis team by team and great to listen to if you want to get some updates from around the league from these two guys point of view.

A few interesting comments:

* Browns moving from 25 to 18 (and from me: who would have guessed Hoyer was going to play that well? Bridgewater and Bortles in.. Manziel still on the side)

* Ranked 49ers at #15 (down from #8) and talk about their surprising collapse, and comparing Kaepernick to Wilson, and that now that more is being asked of both, Wilson is handling it in stride, Kapernick is still the same quarterback. Did some chatting on Kaepernick's throwing not evolving and that all his passes still look the same. Wilson has a variety of passing styles. They're 1-2 right now, next four: home to philly, home to KC, @ St Louis, @ Denver. They think 2-2

* Green Bay: #14 (down from #4) (wow they are really having a tough season)

* Bengals: #3: 1st or 2nd best defense in the league, Dalton is doing well but don't trust the coach in "managing" him and how he will do in post-season

* Denver: #2: they think that it's possible you can swap Bengals and Denver. Manning hasn't been as great, rushing not as great, and defense better. (I disagree, seems Manning is doing pretty well)

*Seahawks: #1: NO COMMENTS FROM THE HOSTS... dang ... does that mean for them it is just a foregone conclusion? Last week they placed them # 1 because they said, to take them to # 2, someone else needs to be # 1 and they couldn't see who they could put there. They had Denver as a close #2. I guess considering Hawks beat Denver, that means it's a pretty obvious # 1.

I agree with a lot of their comments, not all the rankings. I'm mostly wary of Philadelphia and interested to see how that turns out if they will get stronger or weaker as time goes on. I predict weaker and they will eventually tire out and be more prone to injury as the season goes on .

I expect the Hawks to get stronger.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What entertains me more than any set of power rankings is how so many people on this site have a problem with them. :)

They're amusing to look at regardless of where we're ranked, IMO, and no ranking "bothers" me.

Latest posts