Jackson beats Sherman, er or Kam...?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Someone said, maybe it was Sherman that it was just a bad scheme against that sort of play.

Sherman had to peel off to follow the middle receiver, and that left Kam one on one with the fastest WR in the league. NOT a good scheme.

So technically I guess it was Kam's fault, that was his assignment on that play. But you don't put your defenders in that position who can't make the play, so I blame Bradley for calling that coverage.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd agree bad scheme, but Gruden claimed Sherman got caught trying to "steal the seam". Maybe there was an option and Sherm was trying to sneak over and get some action as he hasn't been challenged much this year, and his got got passed to Kam.

Gruden is a better X's and O's guy than me, so I'll trust him. Either way it seemed to be a mistake. YOu can't expect Kam to stay with Jackson. Especially when you're giving Cousins that much time.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wr7qc9h said:
Someone said, maybe it was Sherman that it was just a bad scheme against that sort of play.

Sherman had to peel off to follow the middle receiver, and that left Kam one on one with the fastest WR in the league. NOT a good scheme.

So technically I guess it was Kam's fault, that was his assignment on that play. But you don't put your defenders in that position who can't make the play, so I blame Bradley for calling that coverage.

Just got to give the Redskins credit. The play design got what they wanted. A favorable matchup with their top WR. Not much more can be said.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear that Kam makes the first move towards Desean, Sherman is reacting to that move and taking the inside guy who would otherwise be running free. So it wasn't Sherm trying to get a little glory. Even Gruden who at first said Sherman got beat retracted that when the reply was shown. Would love for someone to ask Kam or Sherman what the thinking was on that play. Though I think as likely as not they say something generic about running the scheme with little actual content. I don't blame them as you don't want other teams getting inside the thought process...but I would still like to know.

SC

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":p6nkjccm said:

Poor Gus. He gets the blame for the Seahawks' bad D even when he's coaching the Jaguars.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I believe they were in zone. Kam covering the flat; Sherman basically responsible for two players (the receiver peeling inside and possibly over-the-top coverage on the man outside). They likely ran this coverage hoping the pass rush would get home and force Cousins to throw quickly to his receiver inside while tricking him into thinking Sherman would peel outside sooner (giving Sherman a chance to pick it off). Instead, Cousins had time in the pocket (allowing D-Jax to get to the vulnerable point in the zone) and threw a perfect deep pass right in the soft spot.

Washington simply beat the coverage. I don't really think it's on any specific player. They ran a perfect concept to counter what Seattle was trying to do defensively and executed beautifully (protection, pass, catch). Pete said on the radio this morning that the coaches put Sherman in a bad situation on that play, so I think that at least somewhat confirms what I think happened.

They threw the ball to the exact area where neither Chancellor nor Sherman could be expected to be. Simply got out-schemed and out-executed on that play.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Interview with Pete said that it was a bad scheme for that particular play. They said they put Sherman in a near impossible situation.
My guess is that they did exactly what they were suppose to do, and the O dialed the right call.
Looked to me like the Seahawks were guessing that it would be a short yardage attempt, Kam passed his man to Sherm and Visa Versa. Sometimes they do that on underneath passes. That is one of the reasons Kam make huge hits on short YAC attempts. Kam was running up towards the line and had to reverse direction.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yes, bad scheme. The DBs switch all the time like that. But imaho, Earl Thomas should have been there to cover over the top. I think he let Kirk Cousins move him to the right with his eyes.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
It's hard to tell exactly what the play call and scheme was, but it looks like a cover 3 (Maxwell, Thomas and Sherman are responsible for each deep third of the field) where Kam was covering the flat on the side that Jackson was on.

If that is true, Kam's responsibility was to cover any receiver in the flat and stick with them. What was brutal is that Jackson is a burner and Kam just got beat deep on basically a wheel route. The play can be chalked up to great execution and decision making by Cousins to get the ball where it needed to go.

For what it's worth, that play call was great against a cover 3. The skins had two receivers attacking the seams which opened up space both under and on the outside considering Sherm, Thomas and Maxwell (Maxwell stays with the outside receiver on this play) at that point have to choose who to cover based off where the QB is looking and where the open space is.

IMO, no one really had any bad execution on that play because the call against a cover 3 was pretty much perfect and one of the best ways to attack a cover 3.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It was a great design. There was no way Kam and Sherm can switch there without having 2 open receivers - their momentum is going the wrong way.

Seems to my uneducated mind that the key is getting Earl to get in between the two so he can make a play on the ball or getting Sherm to peel back so Earl can take his receiver. ( so Earl needs to get down to the receiver instead of playing deep and giving up the mid middle of the field.)

Cartire

Reaction score
The All-22 should be out tomorrow. I plan on capping this play along with many others and should be able to show the coverages in the process. But just so some people know, you can never quite know every assignment in a coverage because there are many different variations of it. So even though we can call out a cover 3, it may still have different assignments for the personal. Something that anyone outside of the organization is not privied to for obvious reasons.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The similarities between this and the Luck to Hilton pass last year are no coincidence. all or 4 go is the playcall to beat cover 3.

Every once in a while this play is going to work. There have been plenty of times it hasn't.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the first long pass beat the scheme and play call, hitting the hole in the zone exchange at the right time. Attribute it to good coaching and a nice throw.

the second was simply an excellent throw and catch.

as the cliché says, there is no defense for the perfect pass. Cousins doesn't suck and neither does DeSean Jackson.

Instead of focusing on those two plays, focus on the fact that aside from those two plays they really didn't do anything else, rushing for 32 yards.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2tl71n0z said:
Sgt. Largent":2tl71n0z said:

Poor Gus. He gets the blame for the Seahawks' bad D even when he's coaching the Jaguars.

LOL, old habits die hard!

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Cartire":2gzyvx93 said:
The All-22 should be out tomorrow. I plan on capping this play along with many others and should be able to show the coverages in the process. But just so some people know, you can never quite know every assignment in a coverage because there are many different variations of it. So even though we can call out a cover 3, it may still have different assignments for the personal. Something that anyone outside of the organization is not privied to for obvious reasons.

Not trying to argue or anything - you are 100% right about not knowing exactly what the play calls are unless you're on that field - but unless Maxwell's assignment was man coverage on that play, it looks like it was textbook cover 3.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawknballs":38emf48q said:
the first long pass beat the scheme and play call, hitting the hole in the zone exchange at the right time. Attribute it to good coaching and a nice throw.

as the cliché says, there is no defense for the perfect pass. Cousins doesn't suck and neither does DeSean Jackson.

Instead of focusing on those two plays, focus on the fact that aside from those two plays they really didn't do anything else, rushing for 32 yards.

Why should we not focus on this play? For the Hawks it's a man bites dog story. It doesn't happen very often and I'm looking at this play as an opportunity to learn, not to assign blame or freak out.

SC

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Looked like the same type of route Denver got us on twice last game, but on the left side...

They need to figure that out.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yep, same scissors concept that Denver did. Kam was the robber and not his zone. Sherm needs to hand that off to ET and get outside faster.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
StoneCold":15u2njuh said:
Hawknballs":15u2njuh said:

Why should we not focus on this play? For the Hawks it's a man bites dog story. It doesn't happen very often and I'm looking at this play as an opportunity to learn, not to assign blame or freak out.

SC

how exactly is a message board fan scrutinizing this play and learning from it possibly going to help the seahawks win?