How do the hawks stop Greg Olsen on sunday?

seanoob

Reaction score
It seems like the linebackers have had some problems covering TEs so far this year. Do the hawks stick with what hasn't been working too well (see Dallas and San Diego games) or employ some other scheme/personnel change to stop Olsen?

BlueBlood

Reaction score
You cant expect to stop him, you can only expect to contain him.

OP
OP
S

seanoob

Reaction score
I am hoping he drops some passes at crucial points, but a linebacker (or 2) stepping up would be better.

Have we ever put a corner on a tight end? I know our corner depth is depleted, so that might not even be an option.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Man I just can't understand how these guys were able to totally shut Graham down last year twice and this year they've been owned by TEs. All I can figure out is Kam being hurt has been the difference which was obviously the case against Gates. But he didn't cover Graham last year, KJ did. So has there been a coverage change and if so, why?

Cartire

Reaction score
The LB's will just ask to carry his walking stick. The guy has looked slow lately, and the presumable ankle injuries are taking their toll on an aging TE. Prime Olsen would man handle this team right now. Current Olsen seems manageable.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Cartire":97mukdw9 said:
The LB's will just ask to carry his walking stick. The guy has looked slow lately, and the presumable ankle injuries are taking their toll on an aging TE. Prime Olsen would man handle this team right now. Current Olsen seems manageable.

wat? he has more recptions and yards than any TE in the league and 3rd in touchdowns behind gates and thomas. . .doesn't seem like he's hobbled too severely by father time....

Cartire

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2zvzauw7 said:
Cartire":2zvzauw7 said:

wat? he has more recptions and yards than any TE in the league and 3rd in touchdowns behind gates and thomas. . .doesn't seem like he's hobbled too severely by father time....

Its coming, watch. His catches against GB were from a slow man not being covered well. Vontaze Burfit has already done the damage. Next week will show a lot.

Poor Olsen.

OP
OP
S

seanoob

Reaction score
I hope you're right. If the hawks can contain Olsen. That leaves Newton and Benjamin as the primary threats for the game.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Jam him at the line to disrupt the timing of his route and re direct him to a waiting safety? He has been good this year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The last time we played them, Olsen was open a number of times but Cam wasn't even looking that way.

I expect that to change. They know Kam is hurting, they know Wags is out. They will target Olsen a lot.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Hope he misses the bus to the game.

Idk. Greg's gonna get his yards. Id worry more about getting pressure on Cam so Greg doesn't have a 3 TD game ala Gates.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1kp87rgj said:
Man I just can't understand how these guys were able to totally shut Graham down last year twice and this year they've been owned by TEs. All I can figure out is Kam being hurt has been the difference which was obviously the case against Gates. But he didn't cover Graham last year, KJ did. So has there been a coverage change and if so, why?
T think you've touched on the problem, and that being Kam not able to enforce with the coverage like he did last Season.
He forced TE's and Receivers to escape his punishing hits, by funneling them down to areas where they were kept from breaking containment.
We are depleted at Corners so the Quarterbacks are finding some soft areas, and are exploiting the inexperienced backups.

OP
OP
S

seanoob

Reaction score
The last time we played them he dropped some passes. Hopefully, dropsies will help to limit the damage. I'll be pushing pins into the olsen voodoo doll on sunday.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I am really worried about Olsen, KJ needs to step it up and hopefully Kam can come through for us as well.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Last year they'd defend tight ends a lot by kicking the DE out wide and have the nickel corner line up head up with the tight end. Other times they'd just lock Kam on the tight end depending on the strengths. Unfortunately all the injuries prevent this from being affective.

I expect them to bracket Olson when they can, their outside receivers don't consistently scare me. Newton's mechanics are all over the place and I expect the Seahawks to squeeze the underneath routes a bit. Malcolm Smith has been a liability in coverage this year, his drogs aren't deep enough or he doesn't get there quick enough, he just looks lost. Hopefully he steps it up a bit.