Rotoworld GM rankings

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2nt3il4a said:
^^^^ We don't disagree about why they're written, although I'm pretty cool over here on my side of the fence, thank you. :)

I've never gone to bed at the end of the day and regretted not having read enough listicles. ;)

Your excessive use of chick emoticons on this site makes me question your coolness.

Jville

Reaction score
Cardinal fans should be ecstatic about the relationship Steve Keim and Bruce Arians have built. I thought they closed up the gap between themselves and Pete and John this past year.

I'm looking forward to reviewing the Cardinal draft in a couple of weeks.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":14vl75en said:
Marvin49":14vl75en said:
Well, to be fair, while he wasn't the official GM, he'd been running the draft since 2005. :D

Well, I mean, it really comes down to being consistent in who we're going to give credit to.

If we're giving credit for the draft to the person who has the final say:

2005-2007: the credit goes to Mike Nolan, who was the defacto GM and answered to nobody (Scot answered to him).

2008-2009: Scot was the GM, and answered to nobody (Baalke answered to him).

2010-Present: Baalke is the GM and answers to nobody (Gamble, then Joel Patten, and now Gamble again answer to him).

It's why I think part of Hawks' fans obsession with the Scot narrative ISN'T simply disparaging Baalke. Although no longer applicable it was also self-congratulatory and emerged when Scot was with the Hawks before he fell off the wagon again.

Basically the point is even in the wildly most generous read of the timelines, you can't give Scot credit for 2005-2007 and not give Baalke credit for 2010. It's just illogical.

That Scot absolutely tanked his two drafts as the GM is one of those things that has gotten lost down the memory hole (as has also already started to happen with Harbaugh going 8-8 last year :lol:)

I was aware of Mclouhan before he came to Seattle. It was a hot topic. No one I know of is trying to puff our chest about him being here. It is the same now as it was when the subject was first brought up Before he was in Seattle.

Also I think you might be seeing more than what has been said. Baalke deserves credit for his drafts but you can't ignore that Mcloughan was there to help build the 2011 draft. It's not taking all credit away from Baalke it is like Marvin said, we will now see.

As for the comparison of C-Mike and Hyde the stats are meaningless because C-mike is behind a healthy and talented duo in Lynch and Turbin. Hyde was thrust onto the field to spell Gore who was often taking himself out of games. Of course he is going to have better numbers, he has had much more opportunity. My point was that if C-mike was on your squad last year he would very possibly have stolen that role from Hyde.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":gyxinss3 said:
Again, the 2010 draft lol.

You are correct. That was the draft they got Iupati, Davis and Bowman. The 2011 draft does look like a solid draft though with Aldon Smith at #7, Kaep, Culliver, Kilgore, Hunter and Miller.

But do you consider 2011 draft a success?

Aldon was well documented as a potential problem and why he was there at 7 and while his performance when healthy and on the field is excellent he balances it out with embarrassment and lost time and you know you are just waiting for him to screw up again.

Kaep has flashed but many of your own fan base isn't sold on him and you know he is still a big question mark.

Culliver struggled to get playing time and has dealt with injury as well as embarrasing the franchise. He looked good last year in his FA year but his punishment is still pending and your FO didn't believe he was worth the money he got even though you are now desperate at CB after losing both your starters to FA.

Kilgore couldn't beat out Goodwin and landed on IR and still is not ingrained as the starter at center. Isn't he a FA after this year? Or did they get him signed?

Hunter has injury issues and has yet to prove anything.

Miller looks good but with his DUI this offseason many of your fans believe he won't be back.

Just the 2011 draft alone netted you how many arrests? Aldon multiple times, Culliver for felony hit and run and threatening a witness and now Miller with the DUI. Even Kaep has had some embarrassing moments.

Baalke seems to wear his rose colored glasses when he picks. Grabbing guys with well know history of trouble or injury issues. Those sometimes work out but there is a reason other teams are staying away from them.

Your FA's this offseason were Gore, Iupati, Culliver, Cox, Skuta and Crabtree. Did I miss anyone? There are alot of starts there. Did Baalke get any of them resigned? I don't believe he did. Three of those he drafted. What does that say?These guys were supposed to be the players to replace the vets Baalke inherited.

Correction on Bruce Miller it was domestic violence not a DUI. So hard to keep track. But he is apparently not taking part in the 49ers off season program.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":295hwggp said:
Popeyejones":295hwggp said:
Again, the 2010 draft lol.

You are correct. That was the draft they got Iupati, Davis and Bowman. The 2011 draft does look like a solid draft though with Aldon Smith at #7, Kaep, Culliver, Kilgore, Hunter and Miller.

But do you consider 2011 draft a success?

Aldon was well documented as a potential problem and why he was there at 7 and while his performance when healthy and on the field is excellent he balances it out with embarrassment and lost time and you know you are just waiting for him to screw up again.

Kaep has flashed but many of your own fan base isn't sold on him and you know he is still a big question mark.

Culliver struggled to get playing time and has dealt with injury as well as embarrasing the franchise. He looked good last year in his FA year but his punishment is still pending and your FO didn't believe he was worth the money he got even though you are now desperate at CB after losing both your starters to FA.

Kilgore couldn't beat out Goodwin and landed on IR and still is not ingrained as the starter at center. Isn't he a FA after this year? Or did they get him signed?

Hunter has injury issues and has yet to prove anything.

Miller looks good but with his DUI this offseason many of your fans believe he won't be back.

Just the 2011 draft alone netted you how many arrests? Aldon multiple times, Culliver for felony hit and run and threatening a witness and now Miller with the DUI. Even Kaep has had some embarrassing moments.

Baalke seems to wear his rose colored glasses when he picks. Grabbing guys with well know history of trouble or injury issues. Those sometimes work out but there is a reason other teams are staying away from them.

Your FA's this offseason were Gore, Iupati, Culliver, Cox, Skuta and Crabtree. Did I miss anyone? There are alot of starts there. Did Baalke get any of them resigned? I don't believe he did. Three of those he drafted. What does that say?These guys were supposed to be the players to replace the vets Baalke inherited.

Correction on Bruce Miller it was domestic violence not a DUI. So hard to keep track. But he is apparently not taking part in the 49ers off season program.

A resounding "yes".

Aldon: For all of Aldons troubles (and I really hope they are behind him), he's one of (if not the) the most dominant pass rushers in the NFL.

Kap: Fans are overly dramatic. Most SF fans couldn't stand Steve Young because he had the audacity to not be Joe Montana. Niner fans are spoiled. I am a fan of Kap. I know peeps here love to rip on him all the time (as expected on a opposing forum), but I really like Kap. Kid has work to do, no question, but the tools are there. The desire is there. The work ethic is there and he has a skillset that's special. I love that he worked with Warner in the offseason and I love that the plan is to put him in better position to use what he's good at and do less of trying to make him into what he's not.

Cully: He didn't "struggle to get playing time". He was the nickel as a rookie and in 2012. Was probably the teams best DB in 2012 and only wasn't a starter because they liked what they had in Rogers and Brown. He was lined up to start in 2013 before he tore his ACL in camp. Last year he finally got his shot and played very well. Yeah, he had his comment at the SB and he had trouble off the field, but he was a good player. He's not in SF anymore because the Niners weren't in a position to pay when he wanted as a FA.

Kilgore: Goodwin was a Pro Bowl Center. "Couldn't beat out Goodwin" is pretty short sighted. He was the 6th lineman on a team that played 6 lineman quite a bit. He was groomed to eventually take over for Goodwin just as Hyde was groomed to take over for Gore, Carradine is being groomed to take over for Justin Smith, Ward is being groomed to take over eventually for Antoine Bethea, Borland was being groomed to take over for Willis (oops), and Brandon Thomas was being groomed to take over for Iupati. Saying he "Couldn't beat out Goodwin" is disingenuous. Is he certainly the Center right now? Dunno, he broke his ankle vs Denver and he'll get competition from Marcus Martin who will also compete with Brandon Thomas at LG. IMO though, he's a quality player taken late in the draft.

Hunter: Hasn't proven anything? Well the dude has been a backup RB who keeps getting hurt so I'm not sure what exactly you would have expected him to prove at this point. When he's been on the field, he's been good. That's all I can really ask of the guy. Has Robert Turbin "proved" anything? Christine Michael? Since they haven't, are those bad picks? Hunters issue has been injury and opportunity. When he's been on the field, I got no complaints at all.

Miller: I have to say, when I found out about the Domestic thing I was shocked. Seems like the least likely guy on the team for that to happen to. I don't have any idea what's going to happen with him. He was on the radio every week during the season. Had his own show. I read once that it the legalese of the way he was arrested made out like it wasn't an assault more of a verbal altercation...dunno though. Bottom line I have no idea what did or will happen there. As such, I can only judge him as a player...and what he is as a player is one of the best FBs in the NFL. That ain't bad for a guy who was a college DE and never played FB till he made it to the NFL.

As for your FA question, did Baalke resign any of those guys? Nope. Why? Because they never really intended to. Is that because they are bad players? Not at all. In most cases, quite the opposite.

You can't keep everyone, especially when you overpay some of them. Niners can't afford to pay a guard 9-10 mil per year. They knew that last year and that's why they drafted 2 players who could compete there. They knew they were never going to pay Crab what he wanted. They wanted a speed receiver and I think both the team and the player were done with that relationship. Did they want Cully back? Most likely, but certainly not at that price.

Niners have done this before. Tryiong to stay competitive means sometimes letting a guy you might want to keep walk away because the $$$$ put you in position to lose someone you want to keep even more down the road. That's exactly why they let Goldson walk and replaced him with Reid. Baalke views the draft as a way to cheaply replace high priced players in order to remain competitive.

You guys are going to start feeling this pain soon as well...particularly if Wilson gets his contract.

Cox and Skuta? Really? Two guys who they signed for next to nothing and nobody noticed. They played better than expected and wanted to cash in...and Niners weren't going to pay those prices. They've got a ton of young players coming back at those positions and a draft ahead.

Here's as hint at the way Baalke does business:

Most often, if they want a guy to come back, they'll resign him LONG before he's scheduled to become a free agent. If he makes it to free agency, most often its because they already know they won't resign him. Examples of guys they resigned way early? Navorro Bowman. Joe Staley. Anthony Davis. Justin Smith. Ray McDonald (another oops). Colin Kaepernick. If you are a young player that the team drafted, you are playing well, and they plan to keep you long term, you'll never get to free agency. They are trying to extend Michael Wilhoite right now.

Now, what does that mean for players on the team right now? It means that unless something changes, there is a good chance Vernon Davis is playing his final season in SF. Aldon Smith is a special case, but if he doesn't get extended before the season ends, I wouldn't be surprised if he's out next year (although I fully expect them to extend him during the year...hard to explain, but the nature of the way he just recently restructured his contract makes me believe they'll be doing SOMETHING with his contract here in the near future).

Marvin49

Reaction score
...and just in case you are curious what I mean about Aldons contract...

He restructured the one year left on his deal, but $$$ are exactly the same. Instead of one guaranteed amount, its broken up into 4 sections. Each is a 4 game block. If he's still on roster, he gets the next 4 games guaranteed.

This has two effects.

1) It means that only 1/4th of his salary currently counts against the cap and his cap number will rise throughout the season. This artificially expands their early season cap space.

2) It protects the team if he gets in trouble again and gives him incentive not to.

I think what'll eventually happen is they'll redo his deal mid-year if he stays clean and prevent the last half of that money from talking effect against the cap. If he hadn't gotten in trouble, he'd already have that contract. They want to keep him, but they also don't want to award him with that big contract until they are reasonably certain he'll stay clean.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Re: Kaepernick, I know people here love to hate Kaep, but arguing that he wasn't a great draft pick is just kinda nuts, IMO.

How many QBs have been taken since 2010? How many QBs taken since 2010 would you put above Kaepernick?

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Bridgewater (#32 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

The other first and second round QBs picked in rounds 1 and 2 in the last five years are: Tebow, Bradford, Clausen, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, Osweiler, EJ Manuel, Manziel and Garoppolo.

We're talking 21 QBs, and I really only think you can absolutely definitively say that two of them are better than Kaepernick (Wilson and Luck). Even if you wanna throw in Newton you're talking about getting a QB in the 2nd round who in the last five years has only gotten outplayed by two #1 overall picks and Russell Wilson.

You don't have to even like him as a QB to acknoweldge that he was a home run for value in the 2nd round.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2vjj1v4g said:
Re: Kaepernick, I know people here love to hate Kaep, but arguing that he wasn't a great draft pick is just kinda nuts, IMO.

How many QBs have been taken since 2010? How many QBs taken since 2010 would you put above Kaepernick?

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

The other first and second round QBs picked in rounds 1 and 2 in the last five years are: Tebow, Bradford, Clausen, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Weeden, Osweiler, EJ Manuel, Manziel and Garoppolo.

We're talking 21 QBs, and I really only think you can absolutely definitively say that two of them are better than Kaepernick (Wilson and Luck). Even if you wanna throw in Newton you're talking about getting a QB in the 2nd round who in the last five years has only gotten outplayed by two #1 overall picks and Russell Wilson.

You don't have to even like him as a QB to acknoweldge that he was a home run for value in the 2nd round.
You and Marvin need to get paid by the niners for all of the PR work (see spin) you put in. 8)

I don't get where you say "Hawks fans hate poor Kraepper? He acts like a goober, but that is his expected behavior. I'm glad he is your QB and not one that plays for my team. He would drive me nuts. I am not a fan of QB's that are "one read QB's" that have no touch on their passes, but hey that's me!

We actually love it when Seattle plays against him....... Hint he usually has a meltdown and has that "deer in the headlights" look and it usually ends up with a Seattle win! :th2thumbs:

A lot of the time it looks like the game is too fast for him mentally.
I think it's funny that just about a year ago you and Marvin would have argued that the Kraepper is better than Wilson.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
As for Alldumb, I think once the cowboy retires, his production will have a drastic dropoff.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":pbsvmuwq said:
Popeyejones":pbsvmuwq said:

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

You and Marvin need to get paid by the niners for all of the PR work (see spin) you put in. 8)

I don't get where you say "Hawks fans hate poor Kraepper? He acts like a goober, but that is his expected behavior. I'm glad he is your QB and not one that plays for my team. He would drive me nuts. I am not a fan of QB's that are "one read QB's" that have no touch on their passes, but hey that's me!

We actually love it when Seattle plays against him....... Hint he usually has a meltdown and has that "deer in the headlights" look and it usually ends up with a Seattle win! :th2thumbs:

I think it's funny that just about a year ago you and Marvin would have argued that the Kraepper is better than Wilson.[/quote]

Incorrect.

PERHAPS after 2012, but not after 2013.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3o6cl9mh said:
Popeyejones":3o6cl9mh said:

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

I think it's funny that just about a year ago you and Marvin would have argued that the Kraepper is better than Wilson.

You didn't substantively respond to a single thing I wrote. Why bother quoting me at all?

You just said you "don't get where I say" people here dislike Kaepernick, and then proceeded to talk about how much you dislike "Kraepper." :lol:

Also, agreed with Marvin about the Wilson comparison. You're just making things up.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1wlhwlc1 said:
Sports Hernia":1wlhwlc1 said:
Popeyejones":1wlhwlc1 said:

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

You didn't substantively respond to a single thing I wrote. Why bother quoting me at all?

You just said you "don't get where I say" people here dislike Kaepernick, and then proceeded to talk about how much you dislike "Kraepper." :lol:

Also, agreed with Marvin about the Wilson comparison. You're just making things up.
Nice spin and dodge, but whatever................

I said I wouldn't want the guy playing for my team, he would honestly drive me nuts, the way Darrell Bevell drives me nuts. I like that he plays for the rival team for the reasons I've already stated.

Apparently you like having him as your QB, more power to you. I just wonder if you'll hold him to the same reguard if he wasn't wearing a niner uniform.

Also explain to me how I am "making things up" when Marvin pretty much admitted to it (though he disagreed on the year).

carry on..........

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ap9vef2 said:
Popeyejones":3ap9vef2 said:
Sports Hernia":3ap9vef2 said:
Popeyejones":3ap9vef2 said:

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

Nice spin and dodge, but whatever................ carry on..........

LOL, he in no way whatsoever addresses any point in the post his quoting and he's saying YOU are dodging.

That's some funny stuff right there. :D

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1gx8kj8s said:
Sports Hernia":1gx8kj8s said:
Popeyejones":1gx8kj8s said:
Sports Hernia":1gx8kj8s said:
e: Kaepernick, I know people here love to hate Kaep, but arguing that he wasn't a great draft pick is just kinda nuts, IMO.

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

Nice spin and dodge, but whatever................ carry on..........

LOL, he in no way whatsoever addresses any point in the post his quoting and he's saying YOU are dodging.

That's some funny stuff right there. :D
That's a neat but yet ironic comment oming from you Marvin. :)
Be sure to tip your waitress. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1hczy65o said:
Nice spin and dodge, but whatever................

I said I wouldn't want the guy playing for my team, he would honestly drive me nuts, the way Darrell Bevell drives me nuts. I like that he plays for the rival team for the reasons I've already stated.

Apparently you like having him as your QB, more power to you. I just wonder if you'll hold him to the same reguard if he wasn't wearing a niner uniform.

Also explain to me how I am "making things up" when Marvin pretty much admitted to it (though he disagreed on the year).

carry on..........

:roll:

My post was about how even if you don't like Kaepernick it's incredibly hard to argue that he wasn't a good draft pick.

Instead of even acknowledging the topic of my post -- let alone substantively addressing it -- you objected to me saying that a lot of people here don't like Kaepernick, and then proceeded to ramble on about how you don't like Kaepernick. :lol:

In closing, as for "making things up," you are making things up. You wrote "I think it's funny that just about a year ago you and Marvin would have argued that the Kraepper is better than Wilson."

It's simply factually inaccurate. You're making it up. I've been posting in this board for over a year and a half. Look at my post history. You'll never find evidence of the accusation you're making here or anywhere else, because it's total nonsense. You're just making stuff up.

Later, dude. :th2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the original subject ..... i.e. ...... GM rankings, consider the entry about Ted Thompson from the original linked article.

Of the 60 Packers under contract on March 14, only one — Julius Peppers — had ever played a game for another team. Even for Thompson, that remarkable feat is an outlier, but still a signpost of his outlook. Stay the course, and develop from within.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PackersNotes/status/576762720055341057[/tweet]

I think that is a remarkable testament to the Packers drafting and player development programs under Ted Thompson.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Jville":2n0tez4l said:
Returning to the original subject ..... i.e. ...... GM rankings, consider the entry about Ted Thompson from the original linked article.

Of the 60 Packers under contract on March 14, only one — Julius Peppers — had ever played a game for another team. Even for Thompson, that remarkable feat is an outlier, but still a signpost of his outlook. Stay the course, and develop from within.

I think that is a remarkable testament to the Packers drafting and player development programs under Ted Thompson.

That's all fine and dandy, but I actually tend to hold that against him. He drafted a defense that was average against the pass and below average against the run and refuses to bring in NEEDED help. I think his ego has gotten the best of him.

John Schneider realizes that no matter how good he is at drafting, he can't build a team SOLELY on the draft. No team ever has.

Courage to change the things you can.
Knowledge to know the things you can't.
Wisdom to know the difference.

Thompson can't admit that he needs help.

Jville

Reaction score
rideaducati":2ovh2z0r said:
Jville":2ovh2z0r said:

That's all fine and dandy, but I actually tend to hold that against him. He drafted a defense that was average against the pass and below average against the run and refuses to bring in NEEDED help. I think his ego has gotten the best of him.

John Schneider realizes that no matter how good he is at drafting, he can't build a team SOLELY on the draft. No team ever has.

Courage to change the things you can.
Knowledge to know the things you can't.
Wisdom to know the difference.

Thompson can't admit that he needs help.

Six consecutive playoff appearance including a Super Bowl suggests to me that Ted Thompson has plenty of help. The vast majority of NFL teams are playing catchup.

John Schneider has the highest regard for Ted Thompson and has on occasion noted that there are different ways to build a perennial contender. He has included in his remarks the differences between the Seahawk approach and the Packer approach as a favorite example.

Although the Packer approach and the Seahawk approach are different, both have been successful in recent years.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13o9xuph said:

The starters are:

Luck (#1 overall)
Newton (#1 overall)
RGIII (#2 overall)
Bortles (#3 overall)
Tanenhill (#8 overall)
Dalton (#35 overall)
Derek Carr (#36 overall)
Kaepernick (#36 overall)
Geno Smith (#39 overall)
Wilson (#75 overall)

I don't have time to respond to all the comments but about Kaep. That might be the worst possible pick also. Here's the thing. You guys are in love with his POTENTIAL and that POTENTIAL is why he is still there starting but so far he hasn't come close to reaching that potential and you no longer have an elite RB or O-line to make his job easier. Keap has been in the best possible situation for a young QB, Drafted by a championship caliber team with arguably some of the best talent in the league and allowed to sit for a year and a half to learn. Then when he is put in his style is so different from Smith he catches the league of guard but since the league has figured him out his performance has dropped off significantly.

Tons of players, especially QB's never reach that potential and the worst one to have is that guy that always flashes and makes you think he is going to get it. That guy can eat up years of an organization before they realize he never will and finally move on.

Last year is a good example of his progress. With the O-line struggling he deteriorated and that was still with an elite receiving corp, TE, very good running game and an excellent defense. What happens if that defense takes a step back like most expect? What if his O-line doesn't improve like many expect? What if the running game becomes just league average like many expect?

It's not about hating Kaep. It's about being able to see what he really brings vs what he potentially brings and outside of Niner fans no one else is viewing Kaep as a great QB or even a potentially great QB.