Idiocy. Pure Idiocy.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm posting this here and not the NFL Forum because it mentions the "Fail Mary" but I completely understand if it should be moved.

Here's an article talking about how the NFL is going to reconsider how it determines who gets into the playoffs because of what is going on in the NFC South right now. Now, I'm generally a fan of leaving things the way they are not changing them just because of some exceptional outcome that has happened, what, twice ever? He also brings up the Tate touchdown catch and the replacement refs in the discussion about how it is important for the NFL to get things right. Whatever. What is really stupid though, is that in his discussion of a crappy team from the NFC South getting in the playoffs, he talks about how it happens at the expense of the Kansas City Chiefs or San Diego Chargers. Yep. There are millions of people unemployed in this country and this idiot has a job.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/how- ... ml/?ref=YF

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkGA":55nwli6i said:
I'm posting this here and not the NFL Forum because it mentions the "Fail Mary" but I completely understand if it should be moved.

Here's an article talking about how the NFL is going to reconsider how it determines who gets into the playoffs because of what is going on in the NFC South right now. Now, I'm generally a fan of leaving things the way they are not changing them just because of some exceptional outcome that has happened, what, twice ever? He also brings up the Tate touchdown catch and the replacement refs in the discussion about how it is important for the NFL to get things right. Whatever. What is really stupid though, is that in his discussion of a crappy team from the NFC South getting in the playoffs, he talks about how it happens at the expense of the Kansas City Chiefs or San Diego Chargers. Yep. There are millions of people unemployed in this country and this idiot has a job.

Sounds fine to me. It's beyond stupid that either Philadelphia or Dallas will miss the playoffs while being 11-5 and that you will have multiple AFC teams that are far better then New Orleans out of the playoffs. At the very least if you insist on having a team with an 8-8/7-9/6-10 record in the playoffs reseeeding should be a given.

Last year it was Arizona and Pittsburgh sitting out at 10-6 enough is enough just go with 7 teams per conference and reseed that way you will get every 10 win team in the vast majority of the time and still let the crap team from a laughably weak division in but you don't reward such mediocrity with a home game.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":20cgoin8 said:
HawkGA":20cgoin8 said:

Sounds fine to me. It's beyond stupid that either Philadelphia or Dallas will miss the playoffs while being 11-5 and that you will have multiple AFC teams that are far better then New Orleans out of the playoffs. At the very least if you insist on having a team with an 8-8/7-9/6-10 record in the playoffs reseeeding should be a given.

Last year it was Arizona and Pittsburgh sitting out at 10-6 enough is enough just go with 7 teams per conference and reseed that way you will get every 10 win team in the vast majority of the time and still let the crap team from a laughably weak division in but you don't reward such mediocrity with a home game.

Completely disagree. It is the whole purpose of divisions to create rivalrys and reward the winners. If you wanna guarantee a spot ya should have won your division. It all evens out with time anyways. The saints were whining they had to go seattle in 2010, now they are reaping the same benefits.

253hawk

Reaction score
I still laugh about the Matt Cassel Patriots missing the playoffs at 11-5.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2f7l769u said:
HawkGA":2f7l769u said:

Trust me, if a "legacy team" like Dallas misses the playoffs this year, Rog will change the rule that allowed that to happen in the offseason.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3a9eawbi said:
MizzouHawkGal":3a9eawbi said:
HawkGA":3a9eawbi said:

Trust me, if a "legacy team" like Dallas misses the playoffs this year, Rog will change the rule that allowed that to happen in the offseason.
Obviously I want that to happen and I completely agree. It will happen sooner than later anyway and if it's Dallas "the sooner" will be 2015 and I will be happy. As for us making the playoffs back in 2010 I didn't like it then either but a fair solution to making sure divisions mean something is to reseed they do it in the NBA and other leagues and it works beautifully. Because in reality we should have been playing in New Orleans that year and it probably would have turned out differently. But that is the past and can't be changed but they can stop such unfairness from occurring in the future.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I always feel like the same people whining about this are the same ones that think we should not keep score in little league or give every kid in a competition a first place ribbon. What are we really teaching these days. The world is not fair and competition drives people to strive to be better. Without competition we never learn to fly, go to space, walk on the moon, or communicate our politically correct-it's not fair nonsense on the internet. Seriously, we are becoming a bunch of wimps that can not deal with adversity.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Eh, if you don't get a "goodie" for winning your division, there's no real point to having divisions. A guaranteed home playoff game for winning the division is a nice reward for the fans, who make the league possible. The players and owners get a little extra scratch as well.

If they really want to "fix" the playoffs, they should figure out a way to get rid of the bye, which is way, way too powerful.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2a22hswj said:
Eh, if you don't get a "goodie" for winning your division, there's no real point to having divisions. A guaranteed home playoff game for winning the division is a nice reward for the fans, who make the league possible. The players and owners get a little extra scratch as well.

If they really want to "fix" the playoffs, they should figure out a way to get rid of the bye, which is way, way too powerful.
That's pretty simple just expand the field to 8 teams per conference. Not sure I like because the likelyhood of 7 and 8 win teams getting in would be fairly high at that point but if you wanted no byes with division winners getting homefield that is the best way to go.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
My whole problem with it is the continued devaluing of winning your division when divisional rivalries are the best part about football. A home playoff should be a reward for winning those games and the division. If a wildcard has a better record, so what? Then they should have no trouble beating the "worse" divisional winner. And if they miss the playoffs altogether, who cares. They had their chances. They werent good enough to win their division and they werent good enough to get a wildcard.

Honestly if you are worried about fair, just scrap the divisions altogether and have the top 6 teams make the playoffs.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Honestly if you are worried about fair, just scrap the divisions altogether and have the top 6 teams make the playoffs.
I definitely wouldn't be against it. Basically I want the best of the best regardless of division because division can go up and down in strength sometimes yearly but winning 10-11 games regardless in a 16 game season holds the same value year in and year out. Basically you will see between 6-7 teams per conference achieve that benchmark and rarely more or less every year.

I just know that having a 7-8 win team in the playoffs while an 11 win team sits out means there is something wrong with the current process and I want it fixed. It isn't like it's a rare thing either. 10 win teams sit all the time because you have some 8-9 win team from a joke division taking that spot almost yearly.

In any case I have no problem with the playoffs expanding because it keeps most of the teams involved right to the last game. So instead of week 17 being let's rest all the starters, or throw away the season by playing Jonny Manziel like Cleveland is currently doing, most teams will play to the hilt right through the last week. Just look at what the extra wildcard has done for MLB.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":27lnpf3d said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":27lnpf3d said:

That's pretty simple just expand the field to 8 teams per conference. Not sure I like because the likelyhood of 7 and 8 win teams getting in would be fairly high at that point but if you wanted no byes with division winners getting homefield that is the best way to go.
Agreed. People seem to hate the idea of 16 (half!) teams getting in, but I like that better than going to 14 teams and only one bye per conference, honestly. At least with two teams getting the bye, the power is somewhat balanced. In today's ultra-violent NFL where time to just flat-out heal the bruises is so precious, it's just way too much of an advantage to give to just one team.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Ugh, there is no way I could ever get behind an 8 team playoff. 50% of the nfl in the playoffs? That's worse than devaluing divisional winners. That's devaluing the entire playoff system.

pehawk

Reaction score
I personally love the idea of a 7-9 team in if they win their division. It doesn't need any tweaking.

If Dallas misses the playoffs, well, theyll should of won more.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":21166mqu said:
I definitely wouldn't be against it. Basically I want the best of the best regardless of division because division can go up and down in strength sometimes yearly but winning 10-11 games regardless in a 16 game season holds the same value year in and year out. Basically you will see between 6-7 teams per conference achieve that benchmark and rarely more or less every year.

I just know that having a 7-8 win team in the playoffs while an 11 win team sits out means there is something wrong with the current process and I want it fixed. It isn't like it's a rare thing either. 10 win teams sit all the time because you have some 8-9 win team from a joke division taking that spot almost yearly.

In any case I have no problem with the playoffs expanding because it keeps most of the teams involved right to the last game. So instead of week 17 being let's rest all the starters, or throw away the season by playing Jonny Manziel like Cleveland is currently doing, most teams will play to the hilt right through the last week. Just look at what the extra wildcard has done for MLB.

Could not disagree more. It's only "wrong" if you attach zero importance to the concept of divisions and the traditional rivalries within them.

rideaducati

Reaction score
As for taking away home games from division winners, I'm sure they'll "talk about it" at the owners meetings and then they'll vote it down AGAIN because it rarely happens. I do think they'll increase the number of playoff teams to 7 per conference because they are greedy and want to extract as much money out of their product as they possibly can. Doing so will get one more deserving team into the playoffs, but will still put an emphasis on winning the division. It will also make being the one seed a little more enticing which means the top teams will fight harder even if they have their division in hand.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Roger is dumb enough to change what is currently in place, he may as well just put the best 12 in the playoffs, regardless of conference. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Why do they insist on screwing up a winning formula? Leave things alone.