Dot Net Hypothetical: Would You Support Harbs to the Hawks?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Alright, you're going to have to hear me out on this first off before you jump to conclusions.

I was reading user comments (I KNOW, I KNOW. BAD MOVE!) in an article about Jim Harbaugh leaving the Niners, and how the Niners were going to regret it. One user, my guess a Niner fan upset with losing him, said something along the lines of:

"Just wait til he takes over for a retired Pete Carroll and kicks the crap out of the Niners as the Seahawks head coach!"

This got me thinking.

We as Seahawks fans have hated the living hell out of this guy for 4 seasons now. He embodied everything you'd want your arch-rival to. He was brash, obnoxious, went insane on the sidelines every time a play didn't go his way. He was the perfect villain to hate. Many Hawks fans have admitted that they are going to miss him, because he was such the perfect foil. That he made the rivalry that much better. That beating him was that much sweeter.

All that said, and understandably understood. WHAT IF? Just for kicks. Let's entertain the hypothetical.

Let's say Pete wins another SB this year. And goes on to coach 1 or 2 more seasons. Whatever happens in those years, he decides to retire, as he isn't exactly a spring chicken. The Hawks peg a successor for Pete, who doesn't exactly work out as planned. The Hawks decide it's time for someone else.

On the other side of the coin, Jim Harbaugh goes to Michigan and has whatever level of success you want him to. He could either be a massive success or a big disappointment. Either way, a return to the NFL will always be in the cards. One, he almost never lasts more than 4 or 5 years in one place. And two, you know he won't be able to rest without taking another run at Lombardi. Not when he lost one to his brother, and one to Pete.

So the situation presents itself. The Seahawks need a coach. Harbaugh wants back in the NFL.

You! Seattle Seahawks fan who hated Harbaugh so much for 4 seasons. Would you be cool with him being your coach? And beyond that, would you want him to be your coach?

I'm genuinely curious as to what people say. Because I'll give you my answer. I'D LOVE IT.

Jim Harbaugh is one of the easiest coaches to hate when he is your rival. He is a walking cartoon in terms of hateable rival coach. But I'm sorry. I absolutely love his insane passion and desire to win. He's a lunatic and a nut case. Awkward as hell, and begging for his players to hate his guts if his team isn't winning. So much of him makes for so much to possibly go wrong. But he also has that certain something about him that puts him above the rest. He wants it so bad. He's that crazy, that he'll do whatever it takes. His track record speaks for itself. I hated the crap out of him when he was the coach of the Niners. Really, really hated him. But there was always a begrudging respect under it. This is something I would never have given Niner fans the pleasure of admitting during the fact. But now that he's gone, it's all good. ;)

Jim Harbaugh, Seattle Seahawks head coach of 2020. I'm all for it.

And yes. The fact that it would be the ultimate F U to the 49ers and Jed "Mommy, I wanted the Pink Power Ranger!" York, would really make for a fun few seasons. That alone, might be worth the price of admission.

drdiags

Reaction score
Would be funny watching all the local media and bloggers having to retract their positions on him. KJR guys would probably have to shutdown for a week just so they can collect their cool.

He does seem to be able to turn programs around, so in your scenario I would rather have someone like him vs a Jim Mora type trying to fill the void when Pete decides to retire to Sunny Southern California. I never had a love/hate thing for Jim so my vote doesn't mean much.

You have to remember that I was going down with the Tim Ruskell ship as the band played on, such is my blind faith in the organization sometimes.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Too soon, man, You have to let the hate dissipate some before throwing out a hypothetical like that. Right now I would be embarrassed and horrified to have him as a coach. In a few years, in a different situation and through the filter of time I might feel differently. I don't think so, though. Other than him being a wack job - the players don't like him and I wouldn't wish that on our team. I've had bad bosses and not only does it suck, it doesn't motivate me to do my very best.

el capitan

Reaction score
If he was the best coach available and JS was cool with it who am I to argue, as long as we're winning.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Just wondering, if and when Pete retires as coach, which I don't think is imminent, might he stay on as VP of Football Operations? And if he does, somehow I doubt he'd give the nod to Harbaugh over one of his own hand-picked disciples.

themunn

Reaction score
Nah - he hasn't shown me any player scouting acumen, Fangio is the mastermind behind the defense and offensively the 49ers haven't been that great under him. I think he's overrated as a coach.

Plus, Pete's gonna ride this train until he's in his 70s

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Unless he has an epiphany in his return to the college ranks much like Carroll did when he developed his philosophy, then absolutely NOT. Harbaugh took a team loaded with tons of high draft picks and talent and finally got something out of them. That's great. 3 years later, that franchise is a goddamned mess.

I'm not interested in a short-term rental that's going to leave stains all over the franchise.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I can't see it..Pete will be picking whoever he believes will keep his baby going long after he's gone..That will be someone from his wings- not Hairball...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":s4yyw590 said:
Unless he has an epiphany in his return to the college ranks much like Carroll did when he developed his philosophy, then absolutely NOT. Harbaugh took a team loaded with tons of high draft picks and talent and finally got something out of them. That's great. 3 years later, that franchise is a goddamned mess.

I'm not interested in a short-term rental that's going to leave stains all over the franchise.

This. Harbaugh would have to completely change his personality and his philosophy. I want another Carroll - not a gif-worthy volcano.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the person who inherits this team is here already and it's not Cable.

Sac

Reaction score
chris98251":oe3l5551 said:
I think the person who inherits this team is here already and it's not Cable.
I can see that. But Pete isn't going anywhere for a while.

OrFan

Reaction score
No. He is a psychopath.

Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/; also known as – though sometimes distinguished from – sociopathy /ˈsoʊsiəˌpæθi/) is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior.

No place for him in any respectful organization.

garrylt4

Reaction score
I didn't really like Pete when he got hear, and I will be behind any coach this team hires till I take my last breath. Except for two men.

Rich Rodriguez because he screwed my West Virginia Mountaineers out of a national championship by throwing the game to Pitt so he could leave for Michigan.

And

Bill Cowher no explanation needed

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would love it on Sundays. The other 6 days would suck. And for the first time in a long time, fans would see press in Seattle have a mean side and ask tough questions. Pete has given so much access to the media, access Jim is not down with.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I'd like to say my Hawk fandom would win out, but I hated Julius Jones before he became a Hawk and hated him even more when he was a Hawk. God damn, that guy sucked.

I don't know what this had to do with Harbaugh, but I saw an opportunity to express my dislike for JuJo and I ran with it.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seanhawk":ge7fwbac said:
I'd like to say my Hawk fandom would win out, but I hated Julius Jones before he became a Hawk and hated him even more when he was a Hawk. God damn, that guy sucked.

I don't know what this had to do with Harbaugh, but I saw an opportunity to express my dislike for JuJo and I ran with it.

Familitarily breeds contempt?

And JuJo did suck. A lot.