The Hawks should trade for Martellus Bennett

Fade

Reaction score
Since the Bears are having a fire sale. It would cost around a 4th round pick, and if they wait until week 8 to make the trade the Hawks would only have to pay about $2.5M this year, and $5.185M for 2016. The Bears would take on all of the dead money.

Martellus can take on the Zach Miller role that Jimmy has been miscast in. Jimmy can now move back to his natural position as a Flex TE / WR.

= Better run blocking, and pass blocking for the team.
= A more effective properly utilized Jimmy Graham.
= A ridiculous red zone offense, you can't bracket both Jimmy & Martellus. (More TDs, less FGs).

PS I know the counter argument is to trade for O-Line, but no team is giving up good offensive lineman in this league. The Bears are having a fire sale, and this might be a great opportunity.

*edit* Seattle has $5M in cap right now acquiring Martellus near mid-season would leave Seattle w/approx $2.5M in available space.

*UPDATE*
I use overthecap.com and it showed $5M in space at the time I made the OP. Now I just checked it, and it changed so they updated it. Kam being added to the roster, his Base Salary wasn't counting against the cap due to the holdout. (I thought they already did this.) So....yeah 629K in available space equals Martellus Bennett ain't happening.

kf3339

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, and we would probably have a very happy D player with this move in his brother!

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's an interesting idea. But if he's free to move I think another team might jump on it and negate salary benefits of waiting until the season is half over. It's no secret that Michael Bennett wants a new deal. I don't know if the FO can really bring in his brother to make a similar salary in 2016.

Rocket

Reaction score
Who would we cut?
Which teammate's salary would have to be reduced?
Do we have cap? If so it's probably pocket change.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It was one thing for Chicago to trade a 33-year-old Jared Allen. But Martellus is 28 and can still be part of a reloading team. I'm not so sure they'd be wanting to get rid of him, even if they are blatantly campaigning for the #1 pick.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3egbqbsg said:
It was one thing for Chicago to trade a 33-year-old Jared Allen. But Martellus is 28 and can still be part of a reloading team. I'm not so sure they'd be wanting to get rid of him, even if they are blatantly campaigning for the #1 pick.

You could be right, but he only has 1 year left on his contract after this season, and he probably won't be signing back with Chicago. Chicago might try and get something for him now while he still has value.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Rocket":3i5ubyl8 said:
Who would we cut?

Seattle has $5M in cap right now acquiring Martellus near mid-season would leave Seattle w/approx $2.5M in available space.

To make room for Martellus just cut any bottom feeder on the roster. Take your pick. I will go with B.J. Daniels.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Basis4day":121jizgx said:
It's an interesting idea. But if he's free to move I think another team might jump on it and negate salary benefits of waiting until the season is half over. It's no secret that Michael Bennett wants a new deal. I don't know if the FO can really bring in his brother to make a similar salary in 2016.

This makes no sense. Mike B will threaten a hold out because his brother is on the team making $5M? If Mike B holds out it will have nothing to do with his brother, but his own situation.

massari

Reaction score
That'd be sweet to get him if there's no available OL talent to be had on the market. They'd probably have to cut him when the season ends though, wouldn't they?

I'd guess they'd cut Cooper Helfet to make room.

sutz

Reaction score
Excuse me, but didn't we just trade away a top notch center for a TE? What was that guy's name? I'm trying to think, IIRC he is pretty good.

Hey, sentiment aside, acquiring another TE seems like a bit of a waste right now IMNSHO.

Last week we were complaining that Bevell couldn't work our new superstar TE into the game plan. Now we want to add another one?

:34853_doh:

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
massari":r87ks6f2 said:
That'd be sweet to get him if there's no available OL talent to be had on the market. They'd probably have to cut him when the season ends though, wouldn't they?

I'd guess they'd cut Cooper Helfet to make room.

Seattle will have at minimum $22M in cap space next year (pending player extensions). Martellus doesn't have to be cut next season. I would cut B.J. Daniels instead of Helfet and keep 4 TEs this season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why not just get Z Miller back?He's with the Bears and playing.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
sutz":3dlvyeio said:
Hey, sentiment aside, acquiring another TE seems like a bit of a waste right now IMNSHO.
Last week we were complaining that Bevell couldn't work our new superstar TE into the game plan. Now we want to add another one?

Jimmy Graham isn't an inline TE. Martellus Bennett is. They play different positions. It's like saying a fullback and a halfback are the same thing. It's like asking Shaun Alexander to be Mack Strong.

sutz":3dlvyeio said:
Excuse me, but didn't we just trade away a top notch center for a TE?
Drew Nowak currently is rated higher than Max Unger on PFF btw.
643eb26fafbbe2a6840cc9fcfd33d4f1

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3uxo9rv4 said:
Why not just get Z Miller back?He's with the Bears and playing.
I don't know if you are joking or not, but that is a different Z Miller.

Rob12

Reaction score
Fade":1hjjgvk8 said:
Since the Bears are having a fire sale. It would cost around a 4th round pick, and if they wait until week 8 to make the trade the Hawks would only have to pay about $2.5M this year, and $5.185M for 2016. The Bears would take on all of the dead money.

Martellus can take on the Zach Miller role that Jimmy has been miscast in. Jimmy can now move back to his natural position as a Flex TE / WR.

= Better run blocking, and pass blocking for the team.
= A more effective properly utilized Jimmy Graham.
= A ridiculous red zone offense, you can't bracket both Jimmy & Martellus. (More TDs, less FGs).

PS I know the counter argument is to trade for O-Line, but no team is giving up good offensive lineman in this league. The Bears are having a fire sale, and this might be a great opportunity.

*edit* Seattle has $5M in cap right now acquiring Martellus near mid-season would leave Seattle w/approx $2.5M in available space.

I'd be all for it.

It makes sense, to me at least. It would allow Jimmy to just be Jimmy, and worry about catching footballs. Jimmy is a horrid blocker, and needs to be put in positions to make Russ' life easier.

It seems very far-fetched, but I think it would be a move that makes sense. And the best part of your post was that no one is trading offensive line talent. It's just not happening. The NFL as a whole is starved for good offensive lineman, and the last thing a team is going to do is trade the Seahawks a good offensive lineman. Our struggles on the line are well known throughout the league. It's just not going to happen. What we have is what we have, and we have to hope that Cable can coach them up to respectability.

Rob12

Reaction score
Rocket":36138j56 said:
Who would we cut?

The cap is there. We don't have much, but it's there.

Who to cut? That's easy. This team has a handful of players that are fringe NFL talent. I like Cooper Helfet, but he's hurt a lot and just doesn't do enough when he is available to play. If you want to hold on to him, there's still guys like B.J. Daniels who could be waived. I'm not a Steven Terrell fan, but somehow, this kid is safe because the coaches think that given time, the kid will be able to ball.

It'd be easy to make room for Martellus Bennett.

Rob12

Reaction score
sutz":j9qb7u2f said:
Excuse me, but didn't we just trade away a top notch center for a TE? What was that guy's name? I'm trying to think, IIRC he is pretty good.

You read the post, sutz?

Acquiring Bennett bolsters the blocking game, and Jimmy can play in the slot where he belongs. He shouldn't be blocking on 42 percent of his snaps, which he is currently doing. He blocked for roughly 22 percent in New Orleans. Bevell is trying to turn Jimmy into something that he is not. I think that's been painfully obvious through three games.

If we made a move for Bennett, we're not doing it to bolster the passing game. Think outside the box a bit.

seabowl

Reaction score
How about getting a decent OL side that is absolutely what we need.

Rob12

Reaction score
No one is trading talented OL right now. That's kind of the point of this thread?