Denver's options at QB

Hawks46

Reaction score
All the media is talking about Kaepernick, RGIII and Glennon as options for the Broncos.

What kills me, and maybe this is just too obvious, but the Jets didn't tender Fitzpatrick. He's way better and more proven than the other guys (maybe not Kap, but he's steadily degraded and is more of a risk). Fitzmagic played better than Manning did last year for sure.

I don't get it. I mean, Denver won't leak that if they are interested, but I don't understand why the mediots haven't figured out why this would be a damn good fit.

kearly

Reaction score
Fitzmagic is always undervalued. But I think the reason Denver hasn't been linked to him is because Kubiak likes a QB with a big arm and decent mobility who can utilize play-action well.

Kaepernick's base salary is only something like $12 million in 2016. And what better QB to build a run first offense around? I think Kaep is probably the favorite at this point. RG3 and Glennon also make sense.

Paxton Lynch might be a consideration as well. He's been falling into the late 1st in mock drafts and is often compared to Joe Flacco. Obviously, Kubiak has history with Flacco and is likely seeking a QB in the Flacco mold.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If Im the Broncos, I'm calling the Niners and trying to get Kap before they trade him to the Jets and are left with the Fitz, RG3, TJack scraps.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Great points Kearly.

Fitz does have a live arm, but yea I can see why some coaches love the guy with a cannon.

As for the Paxton Lynch, I can't think that you'd want to go with a rookie when you have a veteran team with a window for winning NOW. Maybe draft him, but he'd need to back someone up.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm sad kearly and 46 are somewhat defending Fitzpatrick . He sucks.

I'd call for Glennon or Mettenberger .

Fade

Reaction score
RG III knows that scheme, so he would be the best fit. I would bring him in on compete for the job type deal.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":24vbajyd said:
I'm sad kearly and 46 are somewhat defending Fitzpatrick . He sucks.

I'd call for Glennon or Mettenberger .

I'd call him above average. His biggest issue is that he threw too many picks last year. He's gritty and more athletic than one would think. I can see Glennon or Metzenberger, but Glennon makes Fitz look like RGIII. Fitzpatrick was definitely better than Manning was last year though. And Manning was good enough to win with that team in that system.

As for RGIII, I can't see why everyone is saying he's a fit in Kubiak's offense. It's not a read option, it's a play action and roll out type of offense, actually similar to ours. I can see rolling a guy like RGIII to cut the field in half, but he's proven he's a 1 read, 2 read and go! type of QB.

Play action does call for a bigger arm, but I think most of those guys we've mentioned have enough arm for it. Glennon is too slow.

If I had to choose between RGIII, FItzpatrick, Glennon, Metzenberger and Kaepernick, I'd have to go with Fitz, followed up by Kap. Those are the two guys with the most success, and Fitz had the most success recently, so he won't have confidence issues the other guys have, he has a quicker mind that either Kap or RGIII, and he's playing with momentum. I think many of those other QBs have higher ceilings, but also much lower floors.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Glennon can work the offense just as well as Osweiller did and is heady and could become a decent on field general. When he has been given a real chance he has shown he can play.

Besides he has a chip on his shoulder now and going to Kubiak and Elway is a great place for a QB that is wanting to make a statement.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":23g1s21z said:
Fitzmagic is always undervalued. But I think the reason Denver hasn't been linked to him is because Kubiak likes a QB with a big arm and decent mobility who can utilize play-action well..

John Elway comes out of retirement.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fitz lacks the arm strength to be an ideal fit. He doesn't get the same pass Peyton does in that regard.

chris98251

Reaction score
pehawk":1zkthvfq said:
Fitz lacks the arm strength to be an ideal fit. He doesn't get the same pass Peyton does in that regard.

True, Manning is so smart he can beat you with his eyes and deliver a weak pass.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/707662030778601473[/tweet]

SchadyHawk

Reaction score
If I'm the Broncos I would try to sign Fitz to a short term deal, draft a QB and sign Alfred Morris.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Wouldn't touch Pickpatrick with Pe's um..........., finger. Throws way too many ints. And I'm with Pe as far as Glennon goes. Would at least be a good placeholder til yo draft the right guy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Fitzpatrick didn't become a different guy at age 33 last year.

He just had a five game stretch toward the end of the season that he'll never reproduce again in which he threw 13 TDs against 1 INT.

Save for that stretch even last year he was the same guy he's always been: Someone who will complete around 60% of his passes, which tend to be on the shorter side, while throwing about three picks for every four tds.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Didn't Fitzpatrick already fail playing for Kubiak in Houston? Or did they not overlap their times there?

Edit: Nevermind, I looked it up and Fitzpatrick was acquired and started in O'Brien's first year taking over.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":11ya52ml said:
RG III knows that scheme, so he would be the best fit. I would bring him in on compete for the job type deal.

Gary Kubiak is also very close to Mike Shanahan.. so not sure Denver wants RG3 as much as the media claims they do.

I think RG3 winds up in SF and Kaep winds up in Denver

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ My guess too.

I think Kap wants to be in Denver and they can win with him too. I also don't think they can take the risk of entering the season with a total unknown like RGIII as the starter. They're too good of a team for that.

For Kap I think the Jets interest is purely a ploy to get Fitz's demands down, although Fitz could also work for Denver I guess.

I do think the Browns interest in Kaepernick is real, though.

The problem with RGIII, and why it makes his best fit with the 9ers, is that nobody even really knows what he's capable of anymore. That actually makes sense for the 9ers, as they're not competing anyway next year, and also have Gabbert who can start if RGIII gets injured again, flames out again, or if they want to try to rebuild him in practices again without starting him.

For Kelly's offense to work the QB doesn't actually have to run, the defense just has to believe that there's a chance the QB could run.