Baker Mayfield & Other QB Options

CelticWolf12

Reaction score
If Seattle is going to trade valuable draft capital for a 27 Year old Baker Mayfield who will cost almost $19 million against the cap, why not look at other viable QB options:

1. Tyler Huntley who Baltimore signed as an UFA showed some real promise last season. He is elusive, fast and has an extremely quick delivery/release. He also has a little bit of NFL experience reading defensive schemes (not a rookie). It seems to me that, if Seattle were to trade for Huntley, this Seattle offseason would immediately have a positive and energetic vibe. Someone to build a team around!! Plus, going back to Pete and John’s philosophy, there should be competition at every position, including QB.

2. Trade for Gardner Flint Minshew II. Although I like Huntley better, I believe Minshew has the “it” factor and is a winner. He, too, is elusive ( just not as fast as Huntley) and has real tangible game experience dissecting NFL defenses. In Pete’s offense (at least in the past), it calls for a game manager like Ryan Tannehill to process the defense and make accurate decisions with the football. Again, getting a QB like Minshew would immediately bring about competition and a positive/energetic vibe to this offseason.

Lastly, these QB’s cost almost nothing against the cap, so Seattle can spend and use their draft capital for other positions of need.

Go Hawks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Gardner Minshew has a 8-14 NFL career record. That in itself doesn't exude "it" factor to me. Minshew is average at best but because right now the choices for the Seahawks are Drew Lock and possibly Geno Smith, he seems to look better than he really is. The bar is low.

Rat

Reaction score
Baker is much better than either of them. I hope we're all over this.

Otherwise, I'd be happy sending the Packers a mid-round pick for Jordan Love and have he and Lock compete for the QB job. I'd be fine with having Kaepernick in the mix too, if he is willing to swallow his pride and sign a reasonable contract to compete for a job. I think there's some decent options in the draft too, although not with our first-rounder.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Menshew couldn’t beat out a bad QB last year. Coug fans are determined to destroy the 2022 Seahawks.

keasley45

Reaction score
I say 'Lock and 'Load Up'... on players through the draft.

In my opinion, i would rather wait to see what we have in Lock. I see the FO's logic in taking a gamble on him and don't see any of the other options being thrown about as high likelyhood, true, viable franchise qbs.

AND ... look up Josh Allen's numbers for his first 2 years. He had something like a 54% completion percentage, his td / int rate wasn't great, and he was squarely in the category of bust. Until he wasn't. Lock could have a similar evolution to Allen.

And besides, how many wins separates Minshew from Huntley, etc? At this point, it's like giving up a draft pick for an extra W, with no longterm gain.

I think we already have the guy we're taking a flyer on. Maybe it's worth it if we get someone like Mariotta for super cheap, without trading anything, for the sake of competing with Lock, lending experience.

Agree on not doing Mayfield, aka RW 2.0... or .75 ... you look at his tape and see some brilliance. And then a few clips later, just nonsense. If you get him, you run the risk of giving up capital you could use to improve your team, and worse, if he has a soso year, are in the awkward position of drafting a qb next year that you actually want to be your franchise guy. Then, you've got Mayfield on the team who you really don't have a longterm use for, and who you sacrificed a young player or two for. It's Flynn all over again. Or worse, Mayfield does just enough to make you think he's the guy, and so you actually don't draft your franchise dude next year...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ce3djsj said:
Menshew couldn’t beat out a bad QB last year. Coug fans are determined to destroy the 2022 Seahawks.

Categorizing Hurts as bad is kind of weird, considering he smashed expectations and got his team to the playoffs.

Literally had no reason to bench Hurts. Hot hand.

Minshew is pretty good. Deserves a shot to start for a year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2qw6wqnl said:
CPHawk":2qw6wqnl said:

Categorizing Hurts as bad is kind of weird, considering he smashed expectations and got his team to the playoffs.

16td and 9int, just over 3000yds and 61% isn’t great or even good. Most Philly fans would love to replace him. It you can label him how you want.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
CPHawk":81e0hkqt said:
Maelstrom787":81e0hkqt said:
CPHawk":81e0hkqt said:

16td and 9int, just over 3000yds and 61% isn’t great or even good. Most Philly fans would love to replace him. It you can label him how you want.

That's not awful, and it was winning games.

Regardless, Minshew has had much better career stats, and has shown himself to be an efficient passer who can spread the ball where it needs to do. I'm not a Coug fan.

If you're quoting stat lines, why not quote Minshew's for us and point to the issue?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
I read this forum and wonder if any of you actually watch football ? I'm honestly not sure with the takes on here. Please tell me any situation where a guy was awful at his job, took 5 years off,made some insanely ignorant and stupid comments about said job then got a chance to do the job again ? It's idiotic ... No one improves taking 5 years off. Huntley proved nothing, minshew has great hair and seems like a cool dude... That is his best quality on the field.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1twotiyw said:
I read this forum and wonder if any of you actually watch football ? I'm honestly not sure with the takes on here. Please tell me any situation where a guy was awful at his job, took 5 years off,made some insanely ignorant and stupid comments about said job then got a chance to do the job again ? It's idiotic ... No one improves taking 5 years off. Huntley proved nothing, minshew has great hair and seems like a cool dude... That is his best quality on the field.

You sound kinda mad.

keasley45

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2lcfxn61 said:
Ambrose83":2lcfxn61 said:

You sound kinda mad.

Mmhmm...

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought about the idea of Seattle trading for Huntley, I'd be for that move. He has shown potential, and has 2 seasons under his belt, still young, but not completely raw, which IMO, would be the perfect candidate for a team who traded their franchise QB, but won't say they're rebuilding.

xray

Reaction score
Right now it looks like Lock is the guy . Workout everybody that's interested in being the starting QB in Seattle ; and that should include Kaepernick . IMO

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I could see Huntley being very stiff competition for Lock. I could also see value in keeping Geno on board for another year. He doesn't cost much and has a solid vet presence.
I'm not really in favor of drafting a QB this year. We have too many other holes to fill with guys who have future potential. We need a QB who knows the ropes and can protect the ball while making plays that are there to be made without trying to force them.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Someone talk to me about Desmond Ridder...

Now I don't follow college football outrageously closely but there must be something about this guy if he can elevate a college team like Cincinnati to the college play offs. Now its hard for me to gauge how much is down to Ridder and how much was the rest of the team / coaching.

You never really hear of him being particularly highly thought of and I wonder what I'm missing.

Could this be someone who just has that extra bit of something special or is there something else going on here?

PNW

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is terrible. Roll with Lock for a year and draft a qb next year.
This^^^ I don’t understand all the Baker talk. The Browns had a squad last year and he could do squat with that team. We should either roll with who we have now or whatever we get in the draft. Don’t give up anymore draft capital for a lame duck QB!