How will the "New" Rams handle L.A.?

Largent80

Reaction score
I grew up in LA as a Rams fan and I can tell you that gigantic stadium is anything BUT a home field advantage.

They are used to playing in a dome. I see an implosion coming especially after the week 2 game.... :twisted:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Well, I sort of disagree. Playing in a dome makes a team pussies. The Hawks definitely toughened up when they got the outdoor stadium (which was like this beautiful dream-come-true (thank you Paul Allen!!!)), and there's a serious weather advantage, but not as much as maybe Bufulo or GB. I don't think the Rams are gonna have any weather advantage, though. I remember the L.A. Rams too, and playing down there was not essentially different than playing in a dome. Even Tampa Bay has weird rain and shit.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
So, you are saying the 83 and 84 Hawk teams were pussies?...Sorry man, I attended many games at the collesium and that place is a dump. The seats are far removed from the field. USC turn it into home field by filling it. These Rams won't.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hell no!!!! I was a fan in those days. I remember Rufus Porter and Cortez Kennedy and that ass-ripping pass rush. But just think how bad-ass they would've been if they had the outdoor stadium--we're talking about undefeated seasons--all the way through the Super Bowl--for multiple seasons.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I disagree. The Kingdome provide a GIGANTIC advantage for the Seahawks. It's where it all began as 12's.

The Colessium is a gigantic craphole. I would know as I attended dozens of games there. Even when the Rams were good, there was zero advantage as the home team.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The Rams used to play in the Coliseum? I knew the Raiders did but figured the Rams played somewhere else.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
HawkGA":3pc1cmtb said:
The Rams used to play in the Coliseum? I knew the Raiders did but figured the Rams played somewhere else.

Yes. They played there for their entire time in L.A. Then Frontierre moved them to Anaheim after her husband died. She then moved them to St. Louis. What a terrible thing. rosenbloom should have never put her into his will as owner of the Rams in case of his death.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":10kchbca said:
HawkGA":10kchbca said:

Yes. They played there for their entire time in L.A. The Frontierre moved them to Anaheim after her husband died.

Murdered...............

Maulbert

Reaction score
Largent80":2cofjfzy said:
HawkGA":2cofjfzy said:

Yes. They played there for their entire time in L.A. Then Frontierre moved them to Anaheim after her husband died. She then moved them to St. Louis. What a terrible thing. rosenbloom should have never put her into his will as owner of the Rams in case of his death.

Rosenbloom negotiated the move to Anaheim after LA refused to make upgrades to the Coliseum. He died before the actual move, though.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The location has changed but their goals are the same............MEDIOCRITY is their imminent destination. :irishdrinkers:

sc85sis

Reaction score
The Coliseum is old and needs updating, but the Gray Lady is also special. She's been home to the Dodgers, Rams and Raiders and both USC and UCLA. She's hosted the World Series and Super Bowl within her walls, along with two Olympic Games. No other stadium in the U.S. can claim her history.

pmedic920

Reaction score
sc85sis":2mswkqlr said:
The Coliseum is old and needs updating, but the Gray Lady is also special. She's been home to the Dodgers, Rams and Raiders and both USC and UCLA. She's hosted the World Series and Super Bowl within her walls, along with two Olympic Games. No other stadium in the U.S. can claim her history.

I don't disagree with Rob entirely but this post has merit.

The Coliseum deserves a measure of respect.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The only thing good about the kingdome was the noise--and they replicated that with the new stadium. Outdoor teams are always tougher and harder to play at. I'll never forget the snowflakes the first year of the new stadium on MNF.

sutz

Reaction score
pmedic920":ixotx5zs said:
sc85sis":ixotx5zs said:

Respect? Sure, I guess. But the seats are too far from the field. It was built as a combo track/field stadium for the Olympics back in the 30's and has been used as a multipurpose stadium since. Is OK for college games I guess, but for the NFL it kind of sux.
:229031_shrug:

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
sc85sis":1gsqx7o7 said:

It also hosted many great concerts over the years. I'm not saying the place is a dump, but definitely needs refurbishing, and isn't in the best section of L.A. I attended games there for over ten years, could get in the cheap seats for $1.25, and you could bring in small coolers with booze, the good old days for sure.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3g6uj4cg said:
I grew up in LA as a Rams fan and I can tell you that gigantic stadium is anything BUT a home field advantage.

They are used to playing in a dome. I see an implosion coming especially after the week 2 game.... :twisted:

I must have missed the days since they bottomed out after winning a Super Bowl where they had a home-field advantage.

The dome is irrelevant, they barely got fans to come out in STL. I'm sure LA fans will fill the stadium this year since they haven't had the NFL in 20+ years.

Their season basically hangs on what Jared Goff can bring them in his rookie year. If he plays well, they probably hover around Jeff Fisher's favorite 7-8 win mark. If he struggles out the gate, probably looking at a 4-6 win team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2sx4p4ns said:
Largent80":2sx4p4ns said:

I must have missed the days since they bottomed out after winning a Super Bowl where they had a home-field advantage.

The dome is irrelevant, they barely got fans to come out in STL. I'm sure LA fans will fill the stadium this year since they haven't had the NFL in 20+ years.

Their season basically hangs on what Jared Goff can bring them in his rookie year. If he plays well, they probably hover around Jeff Fisher's favorite 7-8 win mark. If he struggles out the gate, probably looking at a 4-6 win team.
I was in St. Louis last week. Nobody I talked to cared about the Rams unless it was about fantasy football.
Saw tons of Cardinals baseball stuff everywhere and attended a game at Busch Stadium (which is beautiful BTW) .
They can keep their humidity though.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I'll say it one more time. After living in L.A., that stadium will NOT have a home field advantage, EVER.

sc85sis

Reaction score
sutz":1i305v79 said:
pmedic920":1i305v79 said:
sc85sis":1i305v79 said:

Respect? Sure, I guess. But the seats are too far from the field. It was built as a combo track/field stadium for the Olympics back in the 30's and has been used as a multipurpose stadium since. Is OK for college games I guess, but for the NFL it kind of sux.
:229031_shrug:
Ground was broken in late 1921, but you're correct that it was built for track and field as well as football. USC's agreement to use the Coli as their home stadium was part of what sealed the deal on the original construction going ahead. It was dedicated to LA vets of WWI and later to all WWI veterans. The second tier of seats was added for the '32 Olympics.