Okay, help me understand this...

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Watching the NY Giants game last night and the offensive player (can't remember if it was Green Bay's ball or not) gets flagged for OPI. Result of the penalty is 10 yards penalty and replay the down.

So, if the defense interferes it's "spot of the foul" and first down. If the offense interferes it's 10 yards and redo down.

It seems very unfair to the defense in this case. I know it's an offensive league, people want to see points on the board, yada yada yada. Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here, but shouldn't we true this up and make it fair that if it's OPI, the offense gets penalized atleast 15 yards and the down counts? You're taking a potential interception off the board, and possible subsequent return, etc.

In some DPI cases, the ball could be spotted 60 yards down the field. The idea that we're not going to give the defense the same benefit seems ridiculous. I feel the league needs to fix this. I do realize that this is rare, maybe 10% of the time or less it's OPI...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I would like to see the NFL go to the college football model where DPI is 15 yards from the LOS, not a spot foul. Much more fair based exactly on what you're talking about.

BTW, my guess is that this will get moved to the NFL Forum so look for responses there at some point if you don't find it on this one.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1lvip0rw said:
I would like to see the NFL go to the college football model where DPI is 15 yards from the LOS, not a spot foul. Much more fair based exactly on what you're talking about.

BTW, my guess is that this will get moved to the NFL Forum so look for responses there at some point if you don't find it on this one.

If the NFL went to this you would see significantly more pass interference happening on deep balls. Every cornerback would rather purposely trip a wide receiver and give up a 15 yard penalty than a 45 yard catch. It'll never happen because it would take away a big component of the offensive excitement of the game.

If anything I'd think that adding loss of down to the offensive pass interference would be an addition that should happen.

GreenHawk

Reaction score
It will never happen, but what I'd really like to see is for the league to treat the penalty the same for offense and defense. It's currently a spot foul (except end zone) for DPI which basically assumes that if interference did not occur, that the ball would have been caught by the offensive player. So if OPI occurs, treat it as a turnover and ball placed at the spot of the foul. That would be fun to see.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
I agree that it's on the surface unfair, but do agree that it protects the concept of a deep ball by having the d respect the deep pass. Where the NFL can make strides is better defining dpi and incidental contact.

Wr should be in the NBA with all of the dives taken to draw a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkGA

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":pm7hqx1v said:
If anything I'd think that adding loss of down to the offensive pass interference would be an addition that should happen.

I approve of this change. But other than intentional grounding, are there any other loss of down penalities? Maybe passing beyond the line of scrimmage?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2j8809d8 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2j8809d8 said:

If the NFL went to this you would see significantly more pass interference happening on deep balls. Every cornerback would rather purposely trip a wide receiver and give up a 15 yard penalty than a 45 yard catch.

In fact, this is exactly what happened before they instituted the spot foul/automatic first down.

I would be more in favor of altering it to either be spot foul or 10 yards (whichever greater) and no automatic first down for DPI. Likewise, I'd alter defensive holding/illegal contact to be a 10 yard penalty and no automatic. I'd leave automatic firsts only on personal foul category penalties.

I'd also get rid of the 'out of the pocket throw past the LOS' garbage. I'd at least make that a 5 yard penalty and replay the down. To get a free do over for what is in concept intentional grounding is just lame.