Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Do the Eagles really even have a chance?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Do the Eagles really even have a chance?
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 am
  • Quite certainly the NFL would like to see another Patriots championship. I have a feeling if the Eagles threaten to win the game we'll see ticky-tack calls all going the Pats way. The NFL wants the Patriots to win and I don't put it past them to screw this as bad as they did handing XL to the Stealers. :pukeface:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• I didnt think they had a chance vs the Falcons or Vikings.

The Pats almost lost to Blake Bortles and have had a cupcake walk to the Superbowl...so Im not ruling anything out.

Also I dont get the whole NFL wants the Pats to win. Theyve come down hard on them in the past, and Gronk gets routinely mugged with no calls.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• SeAhAwKeR4life wrote:Quite certainly the NFL would like to see another Patriots championship. I have a feeling if the Eagles threaten to win the game we'll see ticky-tack calls all going the Pats way. The NFL wants the Patriots to win and I don't put it past them to screw this as bad as they did handing XL to the Stealers. :pukeface:

Not sure what you mean by the "NFL"...............but my guess is no one, including the other owners, GM's or players want to see the Patriots win. Patriot fatigue is widespread, we're all tired of it.

And of course the Eagles have a chance. How you beat the Patriots is to hit Brady, and the Eagle's have one of the best front 7's in the league, and should be able to put together a scheme to get to Brady as much as possible.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Well, nobody gave the Giants a chance against the undefeated Patriots, but I still rooted for the Giants to end that streak and I'll root for the Eagles to beat the Patriots this time around as well.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness.

Also, if the Seahawks can scheme to mitigate the Eagles pressure, then the Pats sure as hell can. Philly gonna have to come up with something new.

I think it'll be a shootout. Pederson's offense is very well designed and the Pats defensive talent isn't much to write home about. Could be an ass kicking if Foles regresses to his career mean.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness..

Yes, it's saltiness, and there's now a long history of the Patriots winning over and over..........with some questionable calls.

But part of that is they play with such discipline mistake free clutch football, that yes most of the time there is a big disparity in penalties and mistakes. But that's a credit to Belichick, not some grand league conspiracy.

If deflategate showed us anything, it's that the "league" is VERY tired of the Patriots.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Key to beating the Pats is get pressure with 4 and don't take foot off the gas. Seahawks SB, Falcons SB, Jags AFC championship. All teams did this for 3/4 of the game but fell short when they gave Brady a chance. Eagles have a good defensive front and can run the ball. I think it should be a close game and wouldn't be surprised if it plays out similarly to the Jags game. Eagles come out hot, Pats adjust to fight back, late score wins it.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Of course. It's just not a very good chance.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Key to beating the Patriots is let them have the lead a few points into the half, then unleash the hounds and beat up Brady, Refs and NFL won't be as inclined to steer it as much for ratings.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Key to beating the Patriots is let them have the lead a few points into the half, then unleash the hounds and beat up Brady, Refs and NFL won't be as inclined to steer it as much for ratings.

At the risk of seeing the smile on the dog...does this explain Pete's strategy of taking the first half of the game off? Was it really an approach to protect the team's psyche from the negative impact of knowing you're getting jobbed by the refs?
    Osprey
    NET Starter

• Osprey wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Key to beating the Patriots is let them have the lead a few points into the half, then unleash the hounds and beat up Brady, Refs and NFL won't be as inclined to steer it as much for ratings.

At the risk of seeing the smile on the dog...does this explain Pete's strategy of taking the first half of the game off? Was it really an approach to protect the team's psyche from the negative impact of knowing you're getting jobbed by the refs?

Well Pete doesn't do it intentionally I don't think.

The idea is to take a lot of the adjustments the Pats make away at half time, if they have the lead they probably won't make many and won't have that urgency you see coming out of the gate in the second half.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• The key to beating the Pats in this game DON'T let it be a close game in the last quarter. Control the ball in the first half and hit Brady HARD on defense.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Run the ball on the 1 yard line and they win....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Run the ball on the 1 yard line and they win....

Feel better yet?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Ive said it in a few threads...

im calling an Eagles win. I think their D line will put alot of pressure on Brady. they will control the run and the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I think Foles will be the wild card but there is nothing in his recent performances to indicate he is not up to it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Think they have a chance. Depends on if they can stop the 2nd half adjustments of the Pats. All it takes is one iffy pass interference call in a close game to change momentum though. Just takes one.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• Sox-n-Hawks wrote:The key to beating the Pats in this game DON'T let it be a close game in the last quarter. Control the ball in the first half and hit Brady HARD on defense.

Strangely enough, the Seahawks are one of the few (if there are any other) teams that have kept it close with the Patriots and beat them. Got them down to the one yard line and lost in the SB, but we also pulled it out against them late in 2012 and actually held them from scoring when they got down to the one themselves last year. Pretty cool IMO.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• I can't see anything other than a Patriots win IMO.

The game is a win/win IMO (or lose/lose dependant on your outlook). If the Patriots win, all those vile Eagle fans get what they deserve and if the Eagles win it shuts up the arrogant Patriots fan base.

Lets just hope its an entertaining one.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• adeltaY wrote:Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness.

Also, if the Seahawks can scheme to mitigate the Eagles pressure, then the Pats sure as hell can. Philly gonna have to come up with something new.

Can Brady run like Russ? Eagles put plenty of pressure on Russell but he was able to run around and they couldn't get to him. Brady isn't doing that.

Anyways, as it's been said...the key for the Eagles is getting pressure on Brady UP THE MIDDLE, never mind the edges. Edge pressure doesn't bother him too much since he's a master at stepping up in the pocket and delivering. It's when you come up the middle at him and put the pressure in his face is when he gets a little rattled.

Eagles obviously have Fletcher Cox/Timmy Jernigan coming up the middle so I like the Eagles chances to be able to do that.

The other thing I like for the Eagles here is the fact that Bill Belichick is a MASTER at taking away the one thing you do best on offense. So what is the one thing the Eagles do best on offense? There isn't one thing.

If he wants to take out Zach Ertz, fine. Then what about Alshon/Torrey/Nelson/Burton and the RBs? Belichick is great at that and teams that have one primary weapon (see Fournette two weeks ago) that spells some trouble.

The Eagles have such a balanced attack in all phases on offense, I'm curious to see what Bill tries to take away and how the Eagles counteract it.

Eagles 30
    Patriots 27
    xkj1985x
    NET Rookie

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness..

Yes, it's saltiness, and there's now a long history of the Patriots winning over and over..........with some questionable calls.

But part of that is they play with such discipline mistake free clutch football, that yes most of the time there is a big disparity in penalties and mistakes. But that's a credit to Belichick, not some grand league conspiracy.

If deflategate showed us anything, it's that the "league" is VERY tired of the Patriots.

To play the devils advocate, it wouldn’t take a grand conspiracy. All it would take is a few key officials being Pats fans or friends with Pats players.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• xkj1985x wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness.

Can Brady run like Russ? Eagles put plenty of pressure on Russell but he was able to run around and they couldn't get to him. Brady isn't doing that.

Anyways, as it's been said...the key for the Eagles is getting pressure on Brady UP THE MIDDLE, never mind the edges. Edge pressure doesn't bother him too much since he's a master at stepping up in the pocket and delivering. It's when you come up the middle at him and put the pressure in his face is when he gets a little rattled.

Eagles obviously have Fletcher Cox/Timmy Jernigan coming up the middle so I like the Eagles chances to be able to do that.

The other thing I like for the Eagles here is the fact that Bill Belichick is a MASTER at taking away the one thing you do best on offense. So what is the one thing the Eagles do best on offense? There isn't one thing.

If he wants to take out Zach Ertz, fine. Then what about Alshon/Torrey/Nelson/Burton and the RBs? Belichick is great at that and teams that have one primary weapon (see Fournette two weeks ago) that spells some trouble.

The Eagles have such a balanced attack in all phases on offense, I'm curious to see what Bill tries to take away and how the Eagles counteract it.

Eagles 30
    Patriots 27

Probably the run pass option.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness..

To play the devils advocate, it wouldn’t take a grand conspiracy. All it would take is a few key officials being Pats fans or friends with Pats players.

Refs are human, but to think they'd compromise their integrity and careers playing favorites is ludicrous to me...........especially during the biggest most watched and scrutinized games of the year, including the SB.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• xkj1985x wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Yeah I don't get how people think the game is rigged in the Pats favor. Comes across as pure saltiness.

Eagles 30
    Patriots 27

Foles, Bill is a master DC also, get to him, confuse him, make him panic in the pocket. The stage is huge he is going to have butterflies anyway, make him make a mistake early and possibly take his confidence away.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• If the NFL wants to keep fan interest going into the offseason, a Patriots loss would be much more beneficial.

Our society loves seeing a giant toppled. David vs Goliath. Most of the country wants an Eagles win.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• xkj1985x wrote:

Eagles 30
    Patriots 27

I like this reasoning.

In the lead up to last year's SB I felt Belichick would be unable to scheme for all of the Falcons weapons and Kyle Shanahan's offense. Having Julio Jones was merely a luxury in a very multi-faceted offensive attack.

And I was mostly right. He had no answer until fatigue and/or poor decisions undermined that offense, but in many ways you can argue that the Falcon offense was never answered schematically.

It was the same with the 49ers at Gillette a few years ago. Niners got up to 31-3 and then didn't add more points until the Patriots tied the game, then pulled away to win.

That 2012 49er offense could run the ball, pass protect well and had 2 good WRs (Crabtree & Moss) and 2 very good TEs (Davis & Walker). With enough legitimate receiving threats and a decent ground game, the kneeler was hard to stop (4 TDs).
    NINEster
    NET Veteran

• Of course they have a chance. The Patriots never blow anyone out in a Super Bowl.

Ultimately it will come down to how the Eagles manage the game. All too often, the Patriots get in opponents heads without doing a single thing.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Jerhawk wrote:If the NFL wants to keep fan interest going into the offseason, a Patriots loss would be much more beneficial.

Our society loves seeing a giant toppled. David vs Goliath. Most of the country wants an Eagles win.

I disagree...

Our society loves Goliath in sports. Sure, they love to root for the underdog. But to have that, you must have Goliath. An Eagles win will be fun (i think they will win). But it is not going to increase or maintain any level of interest in the NFL that a Patriots win would inspire.

I'd even suggest that a Pats win would do better for the offseason. "will someone please beat this team already"
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:If the NFL wants to keep fan interest going into the offseason, a Patriots loss would be much more beneficial.

I disagree...

Our society loves Goliath in sports. Sure, they love to root for the underdog. But to have that, you must have Goliath. An Eagles win will be fun (i think they will win). But it is not going to increase or maintain any level of interest in the NFL that a Patriots win would inspire.

I'd even suggest that a Pats win would do better for the offseason. "will someone please beat this team already"

I agree.

If the Eagles win fans will just shrug their shoulders and move on. If the Pats win they'll whine and moan about it until the 2018 season starts up.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• If the formula for beating the Patriots is for the Eagles front 7 to get to Brady, that doesn't bode well for the Eagles IMO.

I have unassailable logic for my opinion: Darrell freaking Bevell was able to design a quick-pass game plan heavy with rub routes to mitigate the Eagle rush and exploit man coverage.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Now realize they are playing Bill Belichick and Tom Brady whose pictures are in the dictionary next to rub-routes and using short passes to mitigate pass rush.

I do believe the Eagles have a chance because Superbowls are weird, but we'll either need to see a defensive game plan and ability to adjust that we were not seeing midway through the season from the Eagles, or there will have to be some monster personnel mismatch that is so overwhelming it can't be schemed around by Belichick.

Also, an Eagle win would depend upon Nick Foles overcoming Belichick's ability to change his defense to take away what you do best. This is no Atlanta juggernaut with too many weapons to contain and Matt Ryan.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:If the formula for beating the Patriots is for the Eagles front 7 to get to Brady, that doesn't bode well for the Eagles IMO.

I have unassailable logic for my opinion: Darrell freaking Bevell was able to design a quick-pass game plan heavy with rub routes to mitigate the Eagle rush and exploit man coverage.

Now realize they are playing Bill Belichick and Tom Brady whose pictures are in the dictionary next to rub-routes and using short passes to mitigate pass rush.

I do believe the Eagles have a chance because Superbowls are weird, but we'll either need to see a defensive game plan and ability to adjust that we were not seeing midway through the season from the Eagles, or there will have to be some monster personnel mismatch that is so overwhelming it can't be schemed around by Belichick.

Also, an Eagle win would depend upon Nick Foles overcoming Belichick's ability to change his defense to take away what you do best. This is no Atlanta juggernaut with too many weapons to contain and Matt Ryan.

A much better defense in MN got wiped clean by Nick Foles
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:If the formula for beating the Patriots is for the Eagles front 7 to get to Brady, that doesn't bode well for the Eagles IMO.

You make a rock-solid point.

I will say that Belichick's ability to game plan specifically for a single team is in his favor when the team he faces isn't loaded with weapons. And that this all relies upon Nick Foles playing out of his freaking mind on the largest stage in the world for 2 straight weeks, which I have a difficult time seeing.

The Foles thing is the toughest thing for me to weigh by far. I mean obviously if he brings the level of play that torched Minnesota we have to give him a chance. I guess my cynicism leads me to think he had a once-in-a-lifetime performance, or that something about that matchup made all points converge for him. The alternative is that it was a light-bulb moment and this is who Nick Foles is from now on? At least for this post-season? Man I struggle with that.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Refs are human, but to think they'd compromise their integrity and careers playing favorites is ludicrous to me...........especially during the biggest most watched and scrutinized games of the year, including the SB.

A lot of people don't understand basic human psychology. You're biased, period. I'm biased. EVERYBODY is biased. Even when you try not to be, it's extremely difficult to truly remove bias from your perspective on anything.

You should read some of the studies done on how beliefs dictate both actions and your perception of the physical world. Seriously, what you believe quite literally impacts what you see.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• hawk45 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:If the formula for beating the Patriots is for the Eagles front 7 to get to Brady, that doesn't bode well for the Eagles IMO.

You make a rock-solid point.

I will say that Belichick's ability to game plan specifically for a single team is in his favor when the team he faces isn't loaded with weapons. And that this all relies upon Nick Foles playing out of his freaking mind on the largest stage in the world for 2 straight weeks, which I have a difficult time seeing.

The Foles thing is the toughest thing for me to weigh by far. I mean obviously if he brings the level of play that torched Minnesota we have to give him a chance. I guess my cynicism leads me to think he had a once-in-a-lifetime performance, or that something about that matchup made all points converge for him. The alternative is that it was a light-bulb moment and this is who Nick Foles is from now on? At least for this post-season? Man I struggle with that.

Agreed. I wouldn't put my money on Foles. But... I think that defense can keep the Pats at bay, maybe even steal some points. What Foles does I think will be the game
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• What was key to the Giants' SB victories over the Pats? Beyond the Tyree and Manningham catches, I remember D-Line effort and play at an amazing level. So there's that.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Refs are human, but to think they'd compromise their integrity and careers playing favorites is ludicrous to me...........especially during the biggest most watched and scrutinized games of the year, including the SB.

A lot of people don't understand basic human psychology. You're biased, period. I'm biased. EVERYBODY is biased. Even when you try not to be, it's extremely difficult to truly remove bias from your perspective on anything.

You should read some of the studies done on how beliefs dictate both actions and your perception of the physical world. Seriously, what you believe quite literally impacts what you see.

Sgt seems to me to be referring to deliberate steering of games because that would involve a conscious decision to compromise their careers.
    I think he's right on that point.

Your point about unconscious bias is true as well, but that's going to be a lower grade of steering that may or may not be noticeable.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:Sgt seems to me to be referring to deliberate steering of games because that would involve a conscious decision to compromise their careers.

Your point about unconscious bias is true as well, but that's going to be a lower grade of steering that may or may not be noticeable.

You don't notice subconscious bias, which means you're making choices affected by it without even realizing it. That's more dangerous, not less.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• I think subconscious bias is more dangerous in an echo chamber where no one near you is calling you on it like media (right or left).

For NFL refs it's the opposite of an echo chamber. Any bias small enough to be subconscious are more likely to be subsumed by their desire not to be trashed by millions and by history for one sided officiating. Thus, absent deliberate intent to put finger in scale, the effect will be smaller.

Sarge and I don't disagree with you because we require education about conscious vs subconscious bias. We disagree on the merits of your viewpoint.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:I think subconscious bias is more dangerous in an echo chamber where no one near you is calling you on it like media (right or left).

For NFL refs it's the opposite of an echo chamber. Any bias small enough to be subconscious are more likely to be subsumed by their desire not to be trashed by millions and by history for one sided officiating. Thus, absent deliberate intent to put finger in scale, the effect will be smaller.

Sarge and I don't disagree with you because we require education about conscious vs subconscious bias (well I should only speak for myself, perhaps Sarge will say your tutelage has changed his whole position). We disagree on the merits of your viewpoint. It's a tad condescending to assume otherwise and engage lecture mode.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:We disagree on the merits of your viewpoint. It's a tad condescending to assume otherwise and engage lecture mode.

And therein lies the rub. Can't account for or compensate for something when you don't agree that it matters.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:Sgt seems to me to be referring to deliberate steering of games because that would involve a conscious decision to compromise their careers.

You don't notice subconscious bias, which means you're making choices affected by it without even realizing it. That's more dangerous, not less.

Roland is unleashing a pretty deep truth here. I wouldn't so easily dismiss it.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• An underdog team playing with a chip on their shoulder... get some.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• The_Z_Man wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:Sgt seems to me to be referring to deliberate steering of games because that would involve a conscious decision to compromise their careers.

Roland is unleashing a pretty deep truth here. I wouldn't so easily dismiss it.

It’s Psy 101. High school kids can take it for credit on line through their local community colleges.

I think the nfl has done a lot to overcome ref errors. Only one I’d like to see changes is the pass interference
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Honestly I think the Eagles have a good shot at winning the game.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• Uncle Si wrote:It’s Psy 101.

Agreed. However, admitting that it's true and actually keeping it in the forefront of your mind in day-to-day life is something that exists in a pretty small percentage of people, wouldn't you say?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Eagles have to come out dropping the clutch and not looking back till the final whistle blows.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:It’s Psy 101.

Agreed. However, admitting that it's true and actually keeping it in the forefront of your mind in day-to-day life is something that exists in a pretty small percentage of people, wouldn't you say?

Absolutely... (and I'll apologize for being an ass with my initial post). It's rare to find people that self aware.. or even those who want to be.

That said, with reference to football, it appears the NFL recognizes this and has measured against it (maybe to a fault)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• AF_BASS_MAN wrote:Honestly I think the Eagles have a good shot at winning the game.

i do as well
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Now that they've won...I'd like to reply with a "yes".
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

• Robert Kraft probably gonna put a hit out on the refs for not giving them a 99-yard PI call at the end, hahahaha.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:It’s Psy 101.

Being objective is really hard... and part of the reason it's so hard is that people are so excellent at lying to themselves about their own person. It's why addictions are hard to break, why it's so hard to lose weight, so hard to keep a marriage together. We are biased for ourselves and never see our own faults.

Rare is the person who can step outside of themselves and see a situation for what it is and change a life. You have to be a little bit brutal with yourself, and it's not easy to do. Especially in this society today - we've always favored sophism over philosophy as a society, but in the last decade or so we've completely discarded philosophy and started mainlining sophism.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information