Stepping in for Foles and doing well.

I knew he had it in him.

Mustached Chad Pennington

OP
OP
G

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
This is pretty cool for Minshew and for WSU fans, even if it's the only game he ever plays in.

13/13- 148 yards is not bad, everything considered.

OP
OP
G

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Finished 22/25- 275yds- 2td -1int

Not a bad afternoon for a game 1 rook that few people gave a chance to make it.

And Foles has a fractured clavicle...

Maulbert

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1q871m9r said:
Finished 22/25- 275yds- 2td -1int

Not a bad afternoon for a game 1 rook that few people gave a chance to make it.

And Foles has a fractured clavicle...

I don't know what you're talking about that few people gave him a chance to make it. The Jags drafted him and basically gave him the backup job to lose in preseason.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":156m84z4 said:
I hope the guy does well.

He's got a real chance to audition until at least week 11. I think he's got the mind for a great QB. The only thing he needs to do is show it. It's also a great sign that he didn't just fold up today against a really good team.

Smellyman

Reaction score
As an aside to this game.

Frank Clark was the biggest non factor out there. He didn't do a thing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Minshew has that "It" factor that is a special thing in QBs. Turned my GF into a Cougar football fan watching him last year and the big plays he repeatedly made in crunch time of close games to get the Cougs to 11 wins.

Looks like Jacksonville is the right place for him. Now, other teams have some film on him and can start to scheme against him. Week 2 should be interesting.

Minshew is such a smart QB, with a coach's mind, and a good grasp of different offensive systems, specializing in Air Raid, that I expect to see him do superbly well in the NFL, with maybe a rough patch or two. I think a good comp for Minshew would be Kirk Cousins.

Vesuve

Reaction score
olyfan63":ejb3devx said:
Minshew has that "It" factor that is a special thing in QBs. Turned my GF into a Cougar football fan watching him last year and the big plays he repeatedly made in crunch time of close games to get the Cougs to 11 wins.

Looks like Jacksonville is the right place for him. Now, other teams have some film on him and can start to scheme against him. Week 2 should be interesting.

Minshew is such a smart QB, with a coach's mind, and a good grasp of different offensive systems, specializing in Air Raid, that I expect to see him do superbly well in the NFL, with maybe a rough patch or two. I think a good comp for Minshew would be Kirk Cousins.

Great news on Minshew.

But let's not comp to Cousins. Let's hope he rises above.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Vesuve":tekd0s4c said:
olyfan63":tekd0s4c said:
<snip>

Great news on Minshew.

But let's not comp to Cousins. Let's hope he rises above.

I totally agree Minshew has a good shot to outdo Cousins.
Kirk Cousins isn't done yet. Minny looks like a beast of a team this year.

The comp was primarily is on the Leadership factor. (and smarts) Based primarily on comparing college background. Cousins totally had his MSU team on board. Cousins' MSU team and Russell Wilson's Wisconsin team had some epic battles. One of them involved Cousins connecting on a Hail Mary to win the game as time ran out. Simply one data point that says Cousins never gives up, and helps inspire his team to hang in there and keep executing every play to the end as well.
Russell Wilson is that type of leader as well. The NFCCG victory over the Packers? Unfreaking-believable.

Cousins even came into Seattle with a banged-up Redskins team a couple-three years ago and beat the Seahawks. How the HELL did that happen??!! http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...skins-save-season-slug-seahawks-in-rugged-win
From that article:
"Washington struggled to produce yardage all day behind an offensive line missing four starters and paving the way for just 51 yards rushing at 2.2 yards per rush. Cousins, meanwhile, was sacked six times and hit all afternoon."
Cousins had every opportunity to fold in that game, every excuse. Instead, he just kept fighting, and his team came out with a W.

Anyway, I stick with my comp of Cousins and Minshew on the Leadership factor.

Minshew's Leadership factor seems to extend to the pros. Not all college QBs do. Take Ryan Leaf, for example. Leaf was a helluva QB and leader for the Cougs. Really. Leaf was damn fun to watch in college. Even won an Apple Cup, IIRC. Leaf didn't translate to the NFL so well though. Very happy to see Minshew's game and leadership and smarts succeeding in the NFL.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins? Leadership?

Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24
Record vs Winning Teams 2018: 0-7
Career Road Record: 12-23-2
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7

May want to find another comp.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Here's a highlight vid of Minshew in his debut.

[youtube]yQduDTUGL2Y[/youtube]

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xkl23z5 said:
Kirk Cousins? Leadership?

Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24
Record vs Winning Teams 2018: 0-7
Career Road Record: 12-23-2
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7

May want to find another comp.

Nope, I'm sticking with Cousins.

I texted him before the Broncos game to step it up today. Then at halftime, I texted him, "WTF Kirk, your team is down 20-0 at home, and it looks like you're just another bum! Bro, I believe in you, but you're letting me down!"
Kirk texted me back, "Dude! Hold my beer! Got this! BCuz.. Diggs! Dalvin! Just told my bros to knock off the freakin retarded fumbles, and maybe keep my ass upright this second half! Do that shit, and I GUARANTEE we come back and win this thing. Oops, gotta go, 2nd half about to start, go book your bet on Vikings W now, or YOU LOSE!"
After the game, Kirk text me this:
"Dude, hand me back that beer, and then go check this out!" https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20191117 ... 2019111705

This week, Cousins brought Minnesota back from a 20-0 deficit at home to the Broncos. Cousins brought them back from 16 points down in the 4th quarter. It was positively Russell-Wilsonesque. The most direct comp to this game? The 2013 Hawks, down 20-something to Mike Glennon and Tampa Bay at home, coming back to win. This type of comeback DOES NOT HAPPEN without major leadership from the QB position.

Granted, it's "one" data point. It's also a current data point, not tainted by being part of the Redskins organization.

And Cousins records you mentioned above... Yah, but... Redskins... Dan Snyder...

Am I saying that Cousins > Wilson? Absolutely not. Russell has more physical talent. Do I believe that Wilson and Cousins belong in the same sentence as far as leadership? Hell yes. Does Russell have way better career stats? Yes. Has Cousins ever out-dueled Russell in the NFL? Yes, the game I mentioned a few years back when Cousins and the Redskins beat the Hawks at the Clink on a very late Cousins TD throw.

I think in Minny, Cousins has a situation that is conducive to him performing at a high level, and allowing him to shine. He's not really had that whole package before in his career. Strong defense, running game, and experience with the team. (last year was his first year in Minny, and he didn't set the NFL on fire) The ceiling for Cousins might be Kurt Warner, in Warner's good years.

I'll see if I can get a thread posted on Kirk Cousins, where we can discuss this the rest of this season, and everyone can tell me each week how badly Cousins sucks, how wrong I am, etc. Should be fun!

P.S. I'll share the texts Kirk and I exchange each game, just so you get a better feel for his leadership style. I text with Minshew too. However, this week, Minshew blew me off, only responded once, and he said, "Dude, WTF? I'm on the bench this week. Can't talk now, gotta help Nick solve this freakin Colts defense."