McCown tore hamstring off the bone

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
And contrasted with Wentz essentially pulling himself out of the game.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1yto5zsr said:

Two totally different situations.

The Eagles had a player the week before who admitted he'd gotten his bell rung but lied to stay in the game. The coach expressed disapproval. Wentz had to be held up by one of his linemen, he was seeing double, and by the time he went to the tent, he couldn't say who he'd played last week or describe the Clowney hit. His cognition was down to the point they went and got his wife. He needed to pull himself out because sustaining a brain injury and then making it worse isn't something anyone wants regardless of who wins.

McCown's injury wasn't something that in itself could shorten his life, and it was exacerbated by the fact the Eagles had absolutely no one to relieve him except Greg Ward, already extremely busy as a pass-catcher as their own QB3 stood by in sweats as a healthy scratch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other teams with a QB3 (Niners) choose to dress CJB as a result.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
You could see him limping around out there. I didn't know it was that bad. But that's a lot of toughness to play through that. Probably actually ill advised. But they had no further backup. It's my understanding that the person who would be the 3rd string QB wasn't even activated. So after Wentz went out he had no choice but to just keep playing. Very tough but probably a bad idea and may make his healing and recovery longer to try to play through that.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":ox0i7755 said:
You could see him limping around out there. I didn't know it was that bad. But that's a lot of toughness to play through that. Probably actually ill advised. But they had no further backup. It's my understanding that the person who would be the 3rd string QB wasn't even activated. So after Wentz went out he had not choice but to just keep playing. Very tough but probably a bad idea and may make his healing and recovery longer to try to play through that.

I think he played because there was no viable alternative and because he knew this was it for his career. I doubt he even wants to go through OTAs/TC plus a full season.

But damn, that dude was tough. This injury happened in Q2, he didn't even start showing it with a limp until much later in the second half. Then he does his presser without any kind of air cast, just talking about how special it was.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1om3p6is said:
SanDiego49er":1om3p6is said:
You could see him limping around out there. I didn't know it was that bad. But that's a lot of toughness to play through that. Probably actually ill advised. But they had no further backup. It's my understanding that the person who would be the 3rd string QB wasn't even activated. So after Wentz went out he had not choice but to just keep playing. Very tough but probably a bad idea and may make his healing and recovery longer to try to play through that.

I think he played because there was no viable alternative and because he knew this was it for his career. I doubt he even wants to go through OTAs/TC plus a full season.

But damn, that dude was tough. This injury happened in Q2, he didn't even start showing it with a limp until much later in the second half. Then he does his presser without any kind of air cast, just talking about how special it was.

That was pretty tough. And probably too tough for his own good. Sometimes these guys are too tough for their own good and it can really cost them in the injury department or making an injury worse.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":xmivn9bf said:
HawkGA":xmivn9bf said:

Two totally different situations.

The Eagles had a player the week before who admitted he'd gotten his bell rung but lied to stay in the game. The coach expressed disapproval. Wentz had to be held up by one of his linemen, he was seeing double, and by the time he went to the tent, he couldn't say who he'd played last week or describe the Clowney hit. His cognition was down to the point they went and got his wife. He needed to pull himself out because sustaining a brain injury and then making it worse isn't something anyone wants regardless of who wins.

McCown's injury wasn't something that in itself could shorten his life, and it was exacerbated by the fact the Eagles had absolutely no one to relieve him except Greg Ward, already extremely busy as a pass-catcher as their own QB3 stood by in sweats as a healthy scratch. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other teams with a QB3 (Niners) choose to dress CJB as a result.

I haven't seen the part where he was needing to be supported by his OL, but I did see at least some of the plays after the Clowney hit. But maybe it wasn't the Clowney hit that gave him a concussion.

But the larger point is the he was replaced by Files and the team improved and won a Super Bowl. He finally gets to play in the playoffs and goes out in the first couple of drives only to be replaced by someone who plays through a torn hamstring.

I never really played organized football and I've never had a concussion so I'm not really judging, but am curious to see if his leadership takes a hit

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Concussions are serious business.
Tearing your hamstring off the bone and still playing is toughness.

I wouldn’t question Wentz or McCown’s toughness.
You hate to see injuries, they suck. Football is a brutally physical game.
You got huge bodies flying around at high rates of speed, something has to give.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I thought I saw a hitch in McCowns running, he looked off, at the time i just thought old dude and I could relate but this is another beast. Tight hammies are bad enough right off the bone is hella ugly. What a tough sob. I don't criticize either of them, Wentz had his bell rung, when your head isbt right you gotta get off the field. You risk your career, your life going forward. It isn't worth a game no matter how much money is involved.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":1nlp3rza said:
Wait, he outran Ansah with a detached hamstring?
:lol: :lol: :lol: My thought as well..
Boy that old guy is tough..What a last game for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Have you ever severely strained a Hamstring ? I did both at one time, don't ask how but I still won, took more then a month to walk normally and when I pulled them it was like someone putting a cattle prod on them the constriction and pain was a holy shit moment. So to tear away from the bone I can't imagine.

Kudos to McCown for leaving everything he had on the field and then some.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Pretty severe injury and it looked like the play it happened was a pass play. He came up lame after throwing. Didn't get hit or anything.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
I remember seeing him limping but it was on plays he hadn't been hit so it obviously happened before it was noticed by the TV cameras. Would be curious to see the play it likely happened.

Latest posts