Report: Niners will make run at Revis trade

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

Two sources tell Yahoo Sports the 49ers are "poised to make a run" at Darrelle Revis after stockpiling 15 picks in the 2013 draft.

FWIW, Jim Trotter from SI thinks the opposite.

IMO, I think a Revis trade to the 49ers would hurt in 2013 but could be a massively positive development beyond that. Revis probably won't settle for any kind of contract offer before free agency, and he's "unfranchiseable" next season. The 49ers would probably have to pay a 1st and 3rd to get him- maybe more. All for a rental player that could very likely leave after the season (he's going to seek $16 million per in FA). Even if Revis did sign a contract to stay, it would be such an albatross that it would essentially cancel out his value, especially for a team like SF that has very little cap room right now. If the 49ers do keep him, they are going to lose a few good players because of it just from cap considerations.

From a moneyball sense, trading for Revis is a mistake, even if he is a terrific player. In terms of total resources, acquiring Revis would mean spending the equivalent of 3 first round picks when you weight money in draft pick form (as John Schneider does). John Idzik was Schneider's cap guy. Why do you think he made trading Revis priority #1?

All that for a player who's 28 and coming off an ACL. I hope they do it. The battles next season with him and Sherman would be fun too.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have been hoping this is true all day. I want them to turn all those picks into less players.

Axx

Reaction score
wow 49ers are exact opposites of seattle, they tell the world who they want to sign, unlike seattle who will stay quiet and modest.
They also like a all veteran team unlike seattle who wants a all young team. so similar but completely different ways of how the front office works.

i am a little worried about there 15 draft picks, 2 in the 2nd.

heyu123

Reaction score
If the Niners gave up that much for Revis it would not be a rental. They'd get a deal done with him.

And considering Paraag Marathe is one of the better cap guys around it's a reach to think it'd be anywhere near an 'albatross,' especially considering the immense talent of Revis.

If Revis was landed, the Niners would let Dashon Goldson walk(which they may anyways) and cut Carlos Rogers. There is plenty of space for Revis and extensions to guys like Crabtree, Kaepernick, Iupati/Davis, etc.

They also have the picks to replace the guys they'd let walk for Revis. They could probably get Goldson's replacement with one of their round two picks.

Subzero717

Reaction score
The Niners are in the same/better boat than ATL in the Julio Jones trade and I dont think they would not do that trade again. They could give up a first, second, third and fourth and not notice.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I hope they land him and that he gets schooled. Harbaugh has to be drooling over Revis with his rebel player from Stanford showing him up. Anything that forces the Niners to spend money is OK by me.

I also wonder about the true status of his rehab following the ACL injury/surgery. Revis hasn't played in a good while and will be coming back from repair work. We really don't know what his game will be like when he does return. I'm sure he is fine, but that is a potential issue.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Not really worried. As good as Revis is, we don't rely on one receiver. Wilson likes to spread the ball around and not even Revis can cover them all. Plus, Revis seems like he's kind of a hothead. Imagine what Sherman will be whispering to our receivers to get under the skin of Revis.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
You guys are all forgetting one thing about those 15 picks..
They will not be using them..they will trade up and get some Stud DL men.

That is the worry.

On the same note, it's what Seattle should do also.. trade up to the 9th to 13th pick and see if we can get one of the "elite" linemen.
We too, are not looking for quantity, but more so in quality.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
heyu123":3suofr5r said:
If the Niners gave up that much for Revis it would not be a rental. They'd get a deal done with him.

If they get a deal done with Revis that's so good he avoids UFA, then they might be better off not signing him. Revis wants 80% of Peyton Manning money.

I'd be surprised if Revis wasn't a free agent next year. He has a really strong chance of being a rental. He can't be franchised, and he's asking for the moon.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the 49ers picks. Or Revis lol. I'd rather be picked by the Hawks and have a chance at a team that lets it's rookies compete to start, then ride the bench behind entrenched 49er starters. I'm sure many rookies think the same way.

The Niners are going to team friendly contract them when they hit that 3rd year and they won't have a heck of a lot of playing time to argue. It sure wouldn't increase my level of play.

mikeak

Reaction score
Would love Revis trade. I don't care how many smart cap guys you put in this Revis will not be happy with anything less than $14-15 million / year. You can push the money to whatever year but this will require it to be spent then next year they will need to spend on Kaepernick. He should be eligible then and I don't care if he has a three or four year contract he will want more money as soon as eligible....

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Please let this happen. Yeah it may suck if we have to deal with him two or three times next season but I have faith in RW to make the right reads and keep the ball out of his hands. Let's not forget he is coming off an ACL and may never be the Revis of old, sure he could pull an AP and just go off but as Kip stated in the OP, to watch SF go down in flames with cap troubles would be a thing of beauty.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I really want this to happen. I'd love to see them mortgage the future by sending off a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. That would be amazing, especially if it was the KC 2nd.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Hope this happens. Sherman and Revis playing same game twice a year maybe more is gonna set the twitter world on fire. It would be cool to see Pete let Sherm play wideout acouple plays vs Revis. Mic'd up :thfight7: ( :141847_bnono: SHERM)( :crutches: REVIS) ( :snack: 12's) EPIC

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
ESPN's Chris Mortensen said a source told him the 49ers are not inclined to pursue Darrelle Revis at this time. So there's that.