PFF demonstrates Kaepernick folds under pressure as a passer

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... y-21-2013/

Pro Football Focus":1ifx07cz said:
Perhaps the biggest cause for concern should be among 49er fans. Colin Kaepernick, our No. 1 rated player when kept clean, drops an enormous 61.7 QB rating points when hurried — only Brady Quinn drops more.

Resident 49ers fans and lurkers, how do you plan to claim this isn't true -- err, I mean, what do you think of this?

kunged

Reaction score
First time poster, so hi! - not here to get involved in flaming wars/troll, just interested in debate from people who are less emotionally involved, and potentially more objective, than 49er fans. I also hope to get involved in threads that I might know a little about/non-49er related.

In regards to the post, that was interesting to see. I hope it was mainly due to lack of starts and experience. He may have sat and learnt for a year, but from what I have read nothing prepares people for "game speed".

I would like to see similar stats for other rookies or first-time starters over their first games. It would be interesting to see if there is a trend for the other rookies, did the second half of the season improve their overall rating and if so, by how much?

If it does turn out he struggles, at least more so than most, under pressure I'm glad we have a pretty good O-line situation and a good run game to keep the pressure off!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Tannehill was -9.9, Luck was -28.2, Wilson was -46.9, and RG3 was -18.3. I don't know about the other QBs, but most of Wilson's drop in that number was in the first 7 games of the season, with the training wheels offense. I'm not so sure about the whole "nothing prepares you for game speed" thing, though...Rodgers sat behind Favre for a while, and started pretty well.

Plus, all of the aforementioned rookies started better than Kaepernick in this regard, and Kaepernick started on a great all-around team after learning for a year-and-a-half. He should have been better than all of the aforementioned, not the worst, for a stat like this.

Brahn

Reaction score
only Brady Quinn drops more.

Least we still are #1

Shows you how big a drop Wilson to Quinn really would be. It is terrifying.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Definitely an interesting stat. So if you're looking for an excuse, there isn't one. He obviously needs to improve under pressure, as pressure is a constant in the NFL.

One positive is that 68% of his attempts are no pressure, which his rating is league best 114.8. But the significant drop is something that Kaep and the coaching staff will undoubtedly pursue.

Side note, interesting that Blaine Gabbert performs better with pressure than without :|

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Combine this with his very sub par red zone stats and there is a lot of room to grow for Kaepernick.

But, I also don't think this the biggest of deals, if he never gets better at these two things. He will have a winning career on a good team just the way he is now. He is a matchup problem, pure and simple.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerBuff":1b40erzr said:
Side note, interesting that Blaine Gabbert performs better with pressure than without :|
Rapistberger, too. I can't fathom what would lead to performing better under pressure over the course of an entire season. :229031_shrug:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":oqb82lhb said:
NinerBuff":oqb82lhb said:
Rapistberger, too. I can't fathom what would lead to performing better under pressure over the course of an entire season. :229031_shrug:

Some guys are just better at sandlot ball than called offense.
Caveat with Gabbert. His in pocket rating sucks. It wouldn't take much to be better outside the pocket than what he was in the pocket.

Disp

Reaction score
It's easy to cherry pick stats to make an otherwise great QB look sub-par. Look at the same author's column from yesterday https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... y-20-2013/. Wilson took the second highest % of self inflicted sacks, and over twice more self inflicted hits and hurries than any qb in the league other than Rodgers.

Tl;DR They're very good young quarterbacks with room for improvement.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm not cherry picking stats, I've posted all kinds of stuff around here. I had already read the article you just linked when it was posted, yesterday; I like PFF. I like Football Outsiders more, but despite both being advanced NFL stats websites, they're quite different in a lot of ways.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":17pnid6x said:
Combine this with his very sub par red zone stats and there is a lot of room to grow for Kaepernick.

But, I also don't think this the biggest of deals, if he never gets better at these two things. He will have a winning career on a good team just the way he is now. He is a matchup problem, pure and simple.
Truth. He could never improve and still be a serious headache. Like it or not this rivalry is ON for years.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2q0tr1u6 said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/21/neils-nfl-daily-may-21-2013/

Pro Football Focus":2q0tr1u6 said:
Perhaps the biggest cause for concern should be among 49er fans. Colin Kaepernick, our No. 1 rated player when kept clean, drops an enormous 61.7 QB rating points when hurried — only Brady Quinn drops more.

Resident 49ers fans and lurkers, how do you plan to claim this isn't true -- err, I mean, what do you think of this?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... TL.NL.0520

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xromne68 said:
NinerBuff":xromne68 said:

This makes sense. When you watch him, it really seems like Roethlisberger only completes passes after a play has completely broken down and he's avoiding tackles. It's the weirdest thing.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":e9ujneh4 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204655/article/andrew-luck-vs-colin-kaepernick-which-young-qb-is-superior?campaign=Ext_Email_ATL_NL_0520&cvosrc=Ext.Email.ATL.NL.0520

That's nice, dear. ;)

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":pg066vfk said:
NinerLifer":pg066vfk said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204655/article/andrew-luck-vs-colin-kaepernick-which-young-qb-is-superior?campaign=Ext_Email_ATL_NL_0520&cvosrc=Ext.Email.ATL.NL.0520

That's nice, dear. ;)

Thanks hon! ;)

Disp

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":gubxgcs2 said:
I'm not cherry picking stats, I've posted all kinds of stuff around here.

Well the article you link lists Kaepernick as 11, Manning as 12, and Brady as 13 for this particular statistic. Two of those had MVP caliber seasons in the year these statistics come from. So if this isn't you drawing attention to a fairly meaningless, cherry picked statistic, then perhaps you can explain otherwise. Or maybe the Patriots and Broncos should be concerned too!

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Disp, you're comparing two different things, there. We were talking about the differential; the amount of change, in other words, which is the 3rd chart on that article. You're looking at the 2nd chart, which is the QB performance with pressure rating.

Almost every single stat on the planet is "fairly meaningless", which is why it takes a comparison of a bunch of different stats to get a good picture of things. :) I would say the closest any single stat comes to being a good overall picture of anything is Football Outsiders's DVOA stat. Followed by the "PFF rating" from PFF, but DVOA is well above that in my opinion.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You seem to hate threads like this, but that sure doesn't keep you from participating in them, Absolut. ;)