Kyle Long

CPHawk

Reaction score
Kid is mauling San Diego DL and LB tonight. Wish we could have gotten him, he is looking like a young Hutch tonight.

kearly

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they would have if he were there at our pick. Seattle talked openly about wanting to get a couple of specific OL in the 2nd round but neither one reached them. Of the options, Kyle Long struck me as the most likely person they were referring to. He is very much a Tom Cable profile- great run blocker but in need of refinement in miscellaneous areas- similar to Sweezy and Johnson.

Cable really seems to gravitate towards superb athletes who lack experience or are in need of coaching up. That's Kyle Long in a nutshell. Oh yeah, that plus Kyle Long is a nasty sumbitch. And obviously, that's something dear to Cable's heart as well.

I am more than happy with our OL situation though. Kyle Long would have been a nice addition, but I am more than happy with Christine Michael, who will probably look like the best pick in that 2nd round a few years from now.

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
Pro Football Focus is a site that basically grades every play a player plays, and they had this to say about him,

"The other player that the TV broadcast was clearly just waiting to run a segment on was Kyle Long, and he justified it and then some, a rarity for those pre-planned player review times. Long dominated from start to finish, earning a +5.7 grade for the game on just 33 snaps, a ludicrously good performance from a guard. He was quick, mobile, strong at the point of attack, playing with good leverage and when he combined with fellow rookie RT Jordan Mills, formed a double team the Chargers’ defensive line couldn’t deal with. It’s only preseason, so I don’t want to get carried away, but he reminded me a lot of Evan Mathis in this game, the player we think has been the best guard in football for a couple of seasons now."