Kyle Shanahan & Trey Lance

Marvin49

Reaction score
So Shanny went on a podcast and admitted that he like both Mac Jones and Lance. Shouldn't he have said Trey Lance all the way? Weird.

Parsing some of his other comments at training camp and things coming out of 9erland I'm getting the vibe that Shanny is going to run Trey Lance into the ground. It will be effective and exciting until he inevitably gets injured. It's also how Kyle played him last year until he got hurt. And how he did RGIII. There's a history here, so it's not outlandish to believe it's a continuation of that.

Nah...again...Shanahan didn't say something he hasn't said before.

Right after the draft he said Lance was the guy he wanted but that they looked at all of the QBs. As he said then RE Mac (not exact words but close) "We liked him too. I would never say that the pick couldn't have been him (Mac), but we knew how much we loved Trey".

If people just listen to Kyle and stop trying to come up with conspiracies, you'll see that he's much more forthcoming than most think.

As for running him into the ground...I really don't think so. Shanahan wants Lance playing from the pocket. He wants a "QB who can run", not a runner who can throw.

Marvin49

Reaction score
By week 5, you won’t be laughing anymore.

LOL.

All I'm gonna say is this....

If Lance had played poorly people would be all over him saying he was a bust. He didn't. He actually played well and had a perfect QB rating in VERY limited reps.

It WAS preseason tho and those were backups he was throwing to and against (GB played backups, but there was also no Deebo, Aiyuk, or Kittle either).

So to me, he just did what good QBs should do...play well against backup level players in preseason. Has little bearing on the regular season but was much nicer to see than him struggling.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
LOL.

All I'm gonna say is this....

If Lance had played poorly people would be all over him saying he was a bust. He didn't. He actually played well and had a perfect QB rating in VERY limited reps.

It WAS preseason tho and those were backups he was throwing to and against (GB played backups, but there was also no Deebo, Aiyuk, or Kittle either).

So to me, he just did what good QBs should do...play well against backup level players in preseason. Has little bearing on the regular season but was much nicer to see than him struggling.
Lance is awful dude. You’ll see

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Kyle Shanahan Is looking like a genius again, after a rough season and half of disappointment. (2020/1st half of '21)

He started 3-5, and looked utterly hopeless. They then turned it on and damn near made the Super Bowl w/Jimmy G!

My question is for anyone who knows QBs. And is following the situation more closely.

1) Did Kyle do the right thing for Trey Lance last year? (He predominately ran scout team.)

2) Is Trey Lance going to be more -or- less ready this year because of it? (Due to lack of reps with the 1's in practice.)

3) Can Trey Lance stay healthy an entire season, even though he got injured last year in limited action?

4) How good will Trey Lance be in his 1st year starting?
Trey Lance is horrible bro. My guess is he’ll be out of the league within 2 years time which sucks given the draft capital you gave up for the worst quarterback in the league

Fanatics

Reaction score
I don't believe any of us, if we were honest, think Trey is horrible, we hope he is horrible. I just get a feeling that man has a lot going for him and I am scared of what he will bring to that team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I don't believe any of us, if we were honest, think Trey is horrible, we hope he is horrible. I just get a feeling that man has a lot going for him and I am scared of what he will bring to that team.
I don't listen to anyone who says he's horrible...or say he's great. There is honestly no way to know definitively right now.

I like what I've seen from him, but I do see things he needs to work on...ball placement being chief amongst them.

The dude has insane physical gifts for the position, he's got a good head on his shoulders and he works hard. All of those things work in his favor.

We'll see how he plays when the real bullets start flying. My guess is that it isn't pretty early on but he improves week to week.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

JIMMY G WATCHING PRACTICE FROM THE SIDELINES HOPING FOR HIS NAME TO CALLED

flv2

Reaction score
When the 49ers traded up many pundits thought it was for Mac Jones. That was the predominant thought rather than Lance. Over time the public perception changed. There was no reason for the 49ers to mislead people. Everyone knew who the top 2 picks were going to be and the 49ers weren't going to trade the #3 pick at a profit. If Shanahan indicated now that he only liked 1 of the QB options it would be revisionist history.

The Dirty Dozen Fan

Reaction score
Trey Lance is horrible bro. My guess is he’ll be out of the league within 2 years time which sucks given the draft capital you gave up for the worst quarterback in the league

You remind me of Arlospecial who kept calling Jimmy Stinky G. It is almost impossible to predict a players future especially that of a QB. Some develop into champions and some fade away like yesterday's news.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
You remind me of Arlospecial who kept calling Jimmy Stinky G. It is almost impossible to predict a players future especially that of a QB. Some develop into champions and some fade away like yesterday's news.
Stinky G is what many Hawk fans call Jimmy G. Idiot 49er fans guaranteed Jimmy had trade value while Arlo’s Special was spot on in predicting he had no trade value. Anything else you need schooled in let either me or Arlo’s Special know and we’ll both oblige

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You have to remember who the coach is. He won with Jimmy G sometimes seemingly trying to give away games.

Lance doesn't have to be great. He just has to be a threat. That is one of the most imaginative run games in the NFL already. You have a dual threat QB that can throw it long, and it is going to be hard to defend that run game.

They are going to score points. Which is all the defense needs. They don't even need to convert drives at a good clip. They don't need sustained drives.

They just need a guy that can occasionally hit a home run, which Lance is perfect for.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
You have to remember who the coach is. He won with Jimmy G sometimes seemingly trying to give away games.

Lance doesn't have to be great. He just has to be a threat. That is one of the most imaginative run games in the NFL already. You have a dual threat QB that can throw it long, and it is going to be hard to defend that run game.

They are going to score points. Which is all the defense needs. They don't even need to convert drives at a good clip. They don't need sustained drives.

They just need a guy that can occasionally hit a home run, which Lance is perfect for.
I agree. Lance is very similar to Jimmy in many aspects. Lance throws a 30 yard flat pass against a scrubby secondary and 49er fans called it a bomb lol 😂 Even Geno’s pass to Fant had more air under it

RedAlice

Reaction score
I don't listen to anyone who says he's horrible...or say he's great. There is honestly no way to know definitively right now.

I like what I've seen from him, but I do see things he needs to work on...ball placement being chief amongst them.

The dude has insane physical gifts for the position, he's got a good head on his shoulders and he works hard. All of those things work in his favor.

We'll see how he plays when the real bullets start flying. My guess is that it isn't pretty early on but he improves week to week.
Seems to me that you have shared very honestly on your current assessment of him.

RedAlice

Reaction score

So, Goff would rock there?

Marvin49

Reaction score
When the 49ers traded up many pundits thought it was for Mac Jones. That was the predominant thought rather than Lance. Over time the public perception changed. There was no reason for the 49ers to mislead people. Everyone knew who the top 2 picks were going to be and the 49ers weren't going to trade the #3 pick at a profit. If Shanahan indicated now that he only liked 1 of the QB options it would be revisionist history.

The 49ers didn't "mislead" anyone. Again...as with most things, Shanahan answered this question after the draft.

He said once people had made the leap to him preferring Mac, he wasn't going to work hard to change peoples perception. Nobody outside the building actually knew.

You may be right that there was nothing to gain from misleading, but there was also nothing to gain by publicly saying who they preferred.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The 49ers didn't "mislead" anyone. Again...as with most things, Shanahan answered this question after the draft.

He said once people had made the leap to him preferring Mac, he wasn't going to work hard to change peoples perception. Nobody outside the building actually knew.

You may be right that there was nothing to gain from misleading, but there was also nothing to gain by publicly saying who they preferred.

An important fact tho is that the fanbase was always in favor of the Lance pick, and still are.

flv2

Reaction score

I didn't say the 49ers misled anyone. They didn't say who they preferred and there was no reason to say who they preferred. My post wasn't intended to be accusatory. Sorry if it came across that way.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I didn't say the 49ers misled anyone. They didn't say who they preferred and there was no reason to say who they preferred. My post wasn't intended to be accusatory. Sorry if it came across that way.
The 49ers screwed the pooch by picking a Kaepernick protege. Lance is awful. I’ve been right about everything I’ve said about the 49ers most notably the fact that Stanky G won’t garner any trade value. The thing with Lance is he doesn’t know how to play the position. Doesn’t even know how to slide. Tremendous athlete tho so he can play ugly like Jimmy and the defense will mask the deficiencies