Alex Smith is the most boring QB in the history of the NFL.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He isn't good. He isn't bad. He isn't even average. He is just boring. He is the hedge bet, the seat belt, the insurance salesman of the NFL. I would rather have Kelly Stouffer as my QB than Alex.

Ok. That isn't true, that last part about Stouffer.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Rich Eisen ‏@richeisen 2h
Alex Smith is the first Chiefs QB to win his first three starts with the team since @JoeMontana won his first 4 in 1993.

HansGruber

Reaction score
He may be boring, but that team is 3-0 and his old team is 1-1 (and likely 1-2 by Monday morning).

He made some big plays tonight. Seems to work really well with Andy Reid's system. I'm not going to say they'll win Superbowls, but with that defense, they combine to make the Chiefs pretty dangerous. As crazy as it sounds to say it, the Chiefs are one of the top 4-5 teams in the AFC right now. They're that good.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HansGruber":jtllkw76 said:
He may be boring, but that team is 3-0 and his old team is 1-1 (and likely 1-2 by Monday morning).

He made some big plays tonight. Seems to work really well with Andy Reid's system. I'm not going to say they'll win Superbowls, but with that defense, they combine to make the Chiefs pretty dangerous. As crazy as it sounds to say it, the Chiefs are one of the top 4-5 teams in the AFC right now. They're that good.

More accurately, the AFC is that bad.

HansGruber

Reaction score
JSeahawks":38q0sp2t said:
HansGruber":38q0sp2t said:
As crazy as it sounds to say it, the Chiefs are one of the top 4-5 teams in the AFC right now. They're that good.

More accurately, the AFC is that bad.

Perhaps. But they'll win 10 games this season. They're going to beat Denver in one of those. That defense is really impressive. They were on fire tonight and it wasn't just a bad opponent. They were out there making plays, creating turnovers, etc. They're almost as good as our defense, with maybe a slightly better DL and a slightly worse secondary.

Alex Smith is a great QB for that team. He may be boring, but he's not turning the ball over. With Jamaal Charles at RB, all he's gotta do is play safe, get the YAC like they did tonight, and they're going to keep winning.

Also, did anyone else notice McGrath out there tonight? Still wish we coulda kept the dude.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Alex Smith against the Saints, was one of the top 10 games for me.

kearly

Reaction score
Alex Smith is a Pete Carroll dream boat QB. Thankfully RW came along. Try not to imagine if Pete had opted for Alex Smith in 2011 or 2012. Because he almost did.

Alex Smith as a metaphorical insurance salesman QB? That's perfect. The irony is that due to Aaron Rodgers enormous success, he's become a literal insurance salesman QB.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2y6brcka said:
Wait, you're not saying Alex Smith is the Del Griffith of the NFL, are you?
Bingo.

The Chiefs are 3-0, color me unimpressed with Alex anyway. I like a lot of the talent on that team, but beating Philly and Jax is hardly the stuff of legend.

Watching Alex decide not to throw is agonizing. Watching him double clutch checkdowns is boring. Earl was being very honest when he said he would rather face Kaepernick than Alex, because Alex really would rather take the sack than even attempt to challenge a defense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I laughed my ass off when he did his best Russell Wilson impersonation. He was doing slow-motion circle running and spin moves one time, and it still worked. #PhillyFail

C-Dub

Reaction score
Smart move on KC though. Let the defense force turnovers, while the offense doesn't do anything too stupid. Reminds me of the Ravens 10+ years back.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
C-Dub":1afejlgl said:
Smart move on KC though. Let the defense force turnovers, while the offense doesn't do anything too stupid. Reminds me of the Ravens 10+ years back.
Yeah, when Alex has to hit the accelerator to hand with Manning he is boned.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
kearly":wxkkj2vy said:
Alex Smith is a Pete Carroll dream boat QB. Thankfully RW came along. Try not to imagine if Pete had opted for Alex Smith in 2011 or 2012. Because he almost did.

Alex Smith as a metaphorical insurance salesman QB? That's perfect. The irony is that due to Aaron Rodgers enormous success, he's become a literal insurance salesman QB.

RW is Alex Smith with elite improvisational skills, more agility, and a stronger arm. Or rather, RW takes care of the ball as good as Alex Smith, but is 10 times the dynamic threat.

That said, taking care of the football is THE most important thing a QB does, and that is exactly why AS is better than guys like Tony Romo, etc.

HansGruber

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":gufpmkso said:
kearly":gufpmkso said:

RW is Alex Smith with elite improvisational skills, more agility, and a stronger arm. Or rather, RW takes care of the ball as good as Alex Smith, but is 10 times the dynamic threat.

That said, taking care of the football is THE most important thing a QB does, and that is exactly why AS is better than guys like Tony Romo, etc.

And next you'll be telling us your 1982 Toyota Celica is a Ferrari with a slightly less powerful engine, lesser transmission, reduced wheelbase, and different seats.

But your Celica is better because it has a metal body versus the plastic Ferrari.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Alex Smith = Trent Dilfer.

Stouffer? Even though you were being facetious, Scottmojo, Kelly Stouffer makes Alex Smith look like a 1st ballot guy.

In fact (and this will be met with criticism), aside from Wilson, Hass and Moon, Smith is better than any QB in Hawk history (including the fan favorite Dave Krieg), IMO.

Say what you want about Alex Smith, but he doesn't lose many football games. He might be little more than a "game manager", but he does manage the game rather well. I wish him luck to spite Harbaugh, if for no other reason.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkWow":17z4h30e said:
Alex Smith = Trent Dilfer.

Stouffer? Even though you were being facetious, Scottmojo, Kelly Stouffer makes Alex Smith look like a 1st ballot guy.

In fact (and this will be met with criticism), aside from Wilson, Hass and Moon, Smith is better than any QB in Hawk history (including the fan favorite Dave Krieg), IMO.

Say what you want about Alex Smith, but he doesn't lose many football games. He might be little more than a "game manager", but he does manage the game rather well. I wish him luck to spite Harbaugh, if for no other reason.

Alex lost a shit ton of games, homes. Then Harbs turned him into a guy who only threw 5 picks. Forget the 17 touchdowns and remember that that year the best running team in ball led the league in field goals. Because the most boring QB in the NFL throws for 6 on third and 7.

I think the key to Harb's success with Alex? He spayed the lass.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I like Smith. But it's true, he's not exciting to watch, which is strange, since he's a "plus" athlete. It's strange that a QB that is capable of rushing 30-50 yards a game (and Reid is finally taking advantage of it) can be so boring.

He's a rich man's Gus Frerotte, but I think he's a perfect caretaker for Andy Reid.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm a big Alex Smith fan this year. I want them to win the division over the Broncos. Not going to happen, at which point I won't give a crap about him, but hey; I can still dream that the Chiefs win the AFC West right now. :)

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little impressed by Alex Smith this year. I figured Smith was a mirage thanks to a great coach and running game. Maybe he still has a great coach and running game, but he's proven that it's not a Harbaugh thing. It sounds lame, but being a boring but efficient QB is not as easy as it sounds. If it was, no team in the NFL would have a starter with a passer rating under 95.

I am so thankful for Russell Wilson, but he's not Aaron Rodgers or even Drew Brees. He's a much, much, much more talented version of Alex Smith. He's Mr. safe with some tools and a set of balls to go with his brains. Add in a sexy deep ball for good measure. Maybe Wilson can be the best QB in the NFL anyway. Some people play it safe because they have to. Wilson plays it safe because he's damn good at it. If Earl genuinely prefers facing Kaepernick over Smith, I can only imagine how much he'd hate facing Wilson.

Latest posts