Julian Edelman visiting 49ers

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Per multiple reports, Edelman will visit the 49ers on Friday.

Edelman, who generated 1,056 receiving yards in 2013, would provide an intriguing complement to a receiving corps that includes Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, and Vernon Davis.

The Patriots had made Edelman an offer on a three-year deal, pressing him to take it before the launch of free agency. It’s unclear whether the door is open for a potential return.

The Browns also are reportedly interested in Edelman.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... sit-49ers/

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Tom Brady would be excited, if the Pats signed me as a wide receiver next season. Nobody wants to stay in NE these days. What has happened to those guys? They don't want to pay anybody?

kearly

Reaction score
Edelman is a quick timing / precision offense guy who doesn't really fit Kaepernick. He'd also be Kaepernick's 3rd read on most plays. I wonder how many third reads Kaepernick made last season?

Also, I personally don't think Edelman is all that good. I hope they sign him for big bucks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Don't think Edelman is all that good either. He's a below-average player who hung around long enough to eventually be in the right place at the right time for a season. I'd be really disappointed if the 9ers signed him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":3cxq1z6e said:
Edelman is a quick timing / precision offense guy who doesn't really fit Kaepernick. He'd also be Kaepernick's 3rd read on most plays. I wonder how many third reads Kaepernick made last season?

Also, I personally don't think Edelman is all that good. I hope they sign him for big bucks.

Kaep made it to his third read once last year, but he sailed the ball over Gore's head.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BTW...also rumored to have interest in Nicks.

To be honest tho, I don't see them signing a WR. Who is going to want to sign to be a 3rd WR on a team that rarely used 3 WR sets last year?

My guess is they draft someone high...maybe Brandin Cooks.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I have a feeling SF goes for a big guy like Benjamin honestly.

Edelman ain't about that LOB life though, he don't want to see Kam 2 times a year, he knows this.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":kfl4ywmz said:

Edelman ain't about that LOB life though, he don't want to see Kam 2 times a year, he knows this.

I know some peeps think they'll go with one of those really big guys, but they don't need those types of WRs. Both Crabtree and Boldin are "go up and get it in a crowd" type guys...especially Boldin.

They need a vertical guy....a guy that can create space for everyone else. Thats why I say Cooks.

They were also at the Pro Day for that guy from Montana who supposedly ran near 4.2 (yeah right).

davidonmi

Reaction score
I agree with Marvin. On a run first team you only need 3 legit targets. Davis, boldin and Crabtree is more than adaquete. I don't really see anywhere to spend,
Just give kaepernick his money and call it an offseason

Giedi

Reaction score
Marvin49":1z3s87ls said:
Throwdown":1z3s87ls said:

I know some peeps think they'll go with one of those really big guys, but they don't need those types of WRs. Both Crabtree and Boldin are "go up and get it in a crowd" type guys...especially Boldin.

They need a vertical guy....a guy that can create space for everyone else. Thats why I say Cooks.

They were also at the Pro Day for that guy from Montana who supposedly ran near 4.2 (yeah right).

I agree. Cooks is the best bet at 4.3 combine speed. Cooks and another speedster maybe in the lower rounds around 4th or 5th, is what I think. Although I wouldn't mind it if they gave up some draft capital and go for Mike Evans and draft a couple of speedy 7th rounders just to scare DB's. <shrug>

Throwdown

Reaction score
As long as they don't end up with Moncrief (since Marvin mentioned a deep threat) or Mike Evans (he's gonna be ridiculous) i'll be happy

Marvin49

Reaction score
davidonmi":2g6p3dhk said:
I agree with Marvin. On a run first team you only need 3 legit targets. Davis, boldin and Crabtree is more than adaquete. I don't really see anywhere to spend,
Just give kaepernick his money and call it an offseason

Kinda missing the point there bro.

The 49ers absolutely want to upgrade the #3 WR.

My point is that its a tough sell to any free agent WR to come in and be the #3 WR on a team that didn't use the #3 WR last year. IE, thats why I think it'll come through the draft...so you don't give that player a choice.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":2y9celia said:
As long as they don't end up with Moncrief (since Marvin mentioned a deep threat) or Mike Evans (he's gonna be ridiculous) i'll be happy

Moncrief is possible.

Evans will likely be long gone by the time they pick and I don't see them moving up that high.

BTW, they are bringing in Emanuel Sanders for a visit tomorrow.

Chapow

Reaction score
Some of you guys are delusional when it comes to free agents.

Thinking that a guy wouldn't want to sign with SF because he'll have to play against the LOB or because they don't use 3 WR sets is ridiculous. If the best offer he gets is from SF, then that's where he'll go. For free agents in the NFL the biggest consideration by far is getting the best possible contract.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Chapow":2tsm2ri5 said:
Some of you guys are delusional when it comes to free agents.

Thinking that a guy wouldn't want to sign with SF because he'll have to play against the LOB or because they don't use 3 WR sets is ridiculous. If the best offer he gets is from SF, then that's where he'll go. For free agents in the NFL the biggest consideration by far is getting the best possible contract.

Well, he won't get a big offer from SF because they don't have much space left. If a guy is looking for a "prove it" deal, SF is a bad fit because he won't get much opportunity.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Another journeyman receiver propped up by New England's offense. He gives San Francisco nothing that they don't have in Crabtree, Boldin and probably even Patton. I hope they do throw a bunch of money at him.