13 Worst Signings From NFL Free Agency

Brahn

Reaction score
I disagree with this. Money says Tate has a far better year this season with the Lions then he has ever had as a Hawk.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Golden Tate will be a good fantasy WR pick this season, mark my words. It'll be the best year of his career by far, and a bunch of people will act surprised. We all know what a beast he is. He manages to lead the league each year or be right near the lead in yards after the catch despite having half as many targets as all the top WRs, and this year he did draw plenty of extra coverage because of Sidney and Percy being mostly MIA.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I think the article points out that he is overpaid not that he isn't good. The Lions cap space is almost 0 and IMO if they were going to spend this offseason it should have been DB, especially safety. Just my opinion cause I watch The Lions play almost every week during the season.

Cleveland and Oakland? :187734:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1ylcgt95 said:
I think the article points out that he is overpaid not that he isn't good. The Lions cap space is almost 0 and IMO if they were going to spend this offseason it should have been DB, especially safety. Just my opinion cause I watch The Lions play almost every week during the season.

Cleveland and Oakland? :187734:

Problem is they list the reason and yours wan't it. Their reason makes them look misinformed. Tate will end up looking like a steal on that offense and will easily justify his pay. He isn't worth that much here because of our system and the other players already on the roster but on a pass happy offense with Calvin Johnson lining up opposite him he will get a ton more opportunities and I believe he will shine in that situation.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Exactly. This is similar to the people who dismiss Wilson as a "game manager" because he doesn't throw for 4,000 yards every year. They are dismissing Tate because he doesn't have the stats.

Tate can be shut down and he is not a #1 receiver, but he is a perfect compliment in a system like Detroit's where there already is a clear-cut #1 (who is still one of the best in the game.) Golden Tate's ceiling may be about as high as Alvin Harper's, but Harper looked pretty darned good playing next to Michael Irvin.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
No argument on Whitehurst being on this list. Bad signing considering his performance on the field over the years. Really bad signing considering the dollar amount.

davidonmi

Reaction score
But $13 million guaranteed to a third wide receiver with modest numbers is a lot,
there it goes again, just another hack writer who lazily just looks at REC, TD, etc. and treats them as the end all be all.
A WR is not going to have great numbers in this offense

theascension

Reaction score
Tate will be good but it still is a bit odd they went that high for him. The draft is loaded with WR talent and offense isn't even the Lions problem. I don't view it as bad a signing as any of the others on the list however.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
theascension":20g9kk30 said:
Tate will be good but it still is a bit odd they went that high for him. The draft is loaded with WR talent and offense isn't even the Lions problem.
^^^ THIS!!! It is EXACTLY why they will NEVER win a SB. I was SHOCKED that they went for Tate to be quite honest. I thought for sure they would take a stab at Byrd or another DB. The Lions perplex me and many of my friends. This is nothing against Tate and I do believe that in their system he will have much better fantasy numbers. I wish him all the best and will enjoy watching him this season.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
kearly":1g06ea0b said:
That list is peppered with dumb.

Absolutely. I'll point out this one as just that:

Jairus Byrd (safety), New Orleans Saints

Contract: six years, $54 million

Why it’s bad: Byrd is a great player, but the back-loaded structure of his deal could kill the team’s flexibility next year when they try to re-sign Jimmy Graham.

First of all, the Saints will be signing Graham THIS year, not next year and it in no way hampers that signing. Graham's current tag number counts a little over $7M toward the 2014 cap. Even with that figure the Saints are still $3.6M under the cap. Any deal the two sides finalize will surely reduce the 2014 cap hit by a significant amount. The author of this article really doesn't have a clue.