Free Agency Thread

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I belong to a couple of Commander FB groups and some of the members were doing the virtual high fives with the Barton signing I was honest and gave them the average feeling from this forum and they said it was better than anything they had from the 2022 making a big deal about his total tackle amount when I told them he is fools gold when he is out of position and the tackle he makes is 5-15 yards on the wrong side of the LOS I was attacked
Maybe they attacked you because they are on the wrong side of the LOS?

bileever

Reaction score
I just read a PFF article grading each team's free agency. It's the kind of article that really makes you question if they know what they're talking about. They gave the 49ers a higher grade (B+) than the Seahawks (B). This seems wrong. The 49ers lost McGlinchey, Garappolo, Al-Shaiar, Ward, Ebukam and Omenihu while signing Javon Hargrave (for $84M), Sam Darnold and Clelin Ferrell. All we did was re-sign Geno to an amazing bargain, pick up Dre'Mont Jones, Jarran Reed, and Evan Brown. And now we've re-signed Drew Lock and signed Devin Bush. We lost Barton, Homer and Penny. The 49ers may still be better than us, but I think they got worse, while we got better. We addressed our areas of need. They went and spent a fortune on an area (defensive line) that was their biggest strength while not addressing their losses on the O-line and secondary. (They also gave the Eagles a B+ despite all their losses.)

Mizak

Reaction score
I just read a PFF article grading each team's free agency. It's the kind of article that really makes you question if they know what they're talking about. They gave the 49ers a higher grade (B+) than the Seahawks (B). This seems wrong. The 49ers lost McGlinchey, Garappolo, Al-Shaiar, Ward, Ebukam and Omenihu while signing Javon Hargrave (for $84M), Sam Darnold and Clelin Ferrell. All we did was re-sign Geno to an amazing bargain, pick up Dre'Mont Jones, Jarran Reed, and Evan Brown. And now we've re-signed Drew Lock and signed Devin Bush. We lost Barton, Homer and Penny. The 49ers may still be better than us, but I think they got worse, while we got better. We addressed our areas of need. They went and spent a fortune on an area (defensive line) that was their biggest strength while not addressing their losses on the O-line and secondary. (They also gave the Eagles a B+ despite all their losses.)
As long as 49ers have Huafanga, Warner, Armstead, and Bosa, it’s still an elite defense.

bileever

Reaction score
As long as 49ers have Huafanga, Warner, Armstead, and Bosa, it’s still an elite defense.
Yes, it is, but it kind of reminds me of the heyday of the LOB, and how after the Super Bowls, we started to lose pieces. We still had Bennett, Avril, Wagner and Sherman, but lost Red Bryant (2014), Brandon Browner (2014), Malcolm Smith (2015), Tony McDaniel (2015), Brandon Mebane (2016) and Bruce Irvin (2016), and it eventually takes a toll because you still need good players at those positions. It's the natural progression of teams in the NFL. When you become good, you can't afford to keep everyone. The Eagles are going through it, too.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
No doubt. This team needs to sign TWO LB's imo. AND add one in the draft. They have to go in with the assumption that they will be w/out Brooks deep in to the season imo.
er.... bobby... anyone... bueller... anyone?

Not sure/forgot what your position was on Bwagz.... I do like him - but I just wonder even IF they wanted him, and IF he wanted them - which seems 66%, if they kept the 3-4 this year - would he even fit into the scheme as a 1 year bridge to train new cubs? I'm actually not sure he would.

Looks like we might be fixing the line, and the safeties - would be nice to plug the LB spots.

Jesus - 14 points a game Geno doesn't have to front if we can fix the D. It's a christmas miracle!

Mizak

Reaction score
Lions signed Gardner Johnson. The team to beat in NFC North.