The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2rxgdc9r said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2rxgdc9r said:
sutz":2rxgdc9r said:
Well, they pulled out another one. I thought Cishek was going full Rodney there for a minute though.

:180670:

He is 7 of 7 in save opportunities, but he still rattles me a bit because even Cishek seems like he doesn't know where the pitches are going on a throw-by-throw basis.
Sort of like a young Randy Johnson?

Yeqh, but not as much zip so nobody has to fear death while standing in the batters box.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
FYI for those outside the Seattle market, Thursday's game vs. Houston will be Yahoo's free MLB stream of the day.

skater18000

Reaction score
15-11 huh? How bout that! This team is playing a lot better baseball right now and still has some room to grow. So far, great start to the year!

My only wish is that they bring up Zunino to platoon at catcher somewhat because our situation at catcher is bogus at the moment.

Go M's!

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Hope they saved some hits and runs for Felix tomorrow. For some reason they just can't hit when Felix takes the mound.

kearly

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1v9yx416 said:
He is 7 of 7 in save opportunities, but he still rattles me a bit because even Cishek seems like he doesn't know where the pitches are going on a throw-by-throw basis.

He's like a good version of Brandon Morrow.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle is no longer the unluckiest BABIP team in baseball.

Hawker

Reaction score
The Yankees are in last place in their division; Mariners are leading their division. 18 teams have better road records than they do home records. What an odd year and I'm loving it. 12 wins in our last 17 tries, 6 consecutive series wins - yet no sweeps. Let's get some runs for Felix today and get the 1st sweep of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
skater18000":10tti0zd said:
My only wish is that they bring up Zunino to platoon at catcher somewhat because our situation at catcher is bogus at the moment.

Go M's!
Hmmm, not sure why you would say that. I'm all for Zunino getting called up when he's ready. I like the kid, but he clearly needed some more seasoning under less pressure, so I'm fine with what they did with him. But for now, I don't see that much to complain about over our catching situation.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm still tempering expectations till the 50 game mark but i've enjoyed watching this team play so far.

Playing great defense, pitching well and bull pen is doing there part.

Seager also looks like he is heating up.

I don't want to jinx it but there feels a buzz about the team. Players are smiling, look confident and are together.

I hope the Astros keep losing, I still fear they could make a come back but time is running out for them this year and they are a young team. Winning the next series against them would be huge.

This team just needs to make the play offs and get that monkey off their back. Even better if it's the AL West than a wild card. Just get to the play offs and start removing the stench of loser that's been around for over 10 years. Once they make the play offs I think further progress can then be made in future years. Especially if the farm gets stocked up and prospects aren't rushed.

So far so good this year but anything can happen with form, injuries or other AL West teams getting hot.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team is on a roll!

I have pretty high hopes. Not only do I think we are a pretty good team, but the AL is completely wide open. Other than maybe the Royals and White Sox, who in the AL is dominant? The Blue Jays have looked awful so far (however I do expect them to pick it up). I really do think the three best teams in the AL right now are the M's, Chisox and Royals.

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":23tkigwy said:
skater18000":23tkigwy said:

Go M's!
Hmmm, not sure why you would say that. I'm all for Zunino getting called up when he's ready. I like the kid, but he clearly needed some more seasoning under less pressure, so I'm fine with what they did with him. But for now, I don't see that much to complain about over our catching situation.

Gotta agree with Sutz here. Our current catching situation is much better than it's been in a long time. Iannetta has been at least as good behind the plate as Zunino last year (and Z was very good there), but he has been a HUGE upgrade offensively. Our backup catcher, Clevenger, has been better (at backup catcher) than anyone we've had in a long time as well. I don't see much to complain about here either.

I will say this though, Zunino has been on fire down in Tacoma so far this year. He's hitting .369, 31 hits in 84 ABs, with 8 HRs and 24 RBIs, .413 OBP, .738 SLG, and 1.151 OPS.

Chapow

Reaction score
Ketel Marte is starting to look like an awfully good young player both at the plate and in the infield and he's still only 22 years old. This kid is playing really, really well right now.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Chapow":3j48kwxo said:
sutz":3j48kwxo said:
skater18000":3j48kwxo said:

Go M's!

Gotta agree with Sutz here. Our current catching situation is much better than it's been in a long time. Iannetta has been at least as good behind the plate as Zunino last year (and Z was very good there), but he has been a HUGE upgrade offensively. Our backup catcher, Clevenger, has been better (at backup catcher) than anyone we've had in a long time as well. I don't see much to complain about here either.

I will say this though, Zunino has been on fire down in Tacoma so far this year. He's hitting .369, 31 hits in 84 ABs, with 8 HRs and 24 RBIs, .413 OBP, .738 SLG, and 1.151 OPS.

Good, i'd keep him there for the season and keep his confidence sky high on the plate. He badly needed confidence after last year plus Ianetta is doing well.

I don't know why but I trust Dipoto to fix the farm and handle prospects. Didn't he turn around the Angels farm system?

Chapow

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2uw2kzui said:
Chapow":2uw2kzui said:
sutz":2uw2kzui said:
skater18000":2uw2kzui said:

Go M's!

Good, i'd keep him there for the season and keep his confidence sky high on the plate. He badly needed confidence after last year plus Ianetta is doing well.

Absolutely agree. Let him stay in Tacoma, play everyday, and hopefully continue to improve his hitting. A year in Tacoma could do wonders for his future with the M's. It's just another reason why the Iannetta pick up was great for us. It allows us the luxury of letting Zunino stay down in Tacoma, work on his hitting, and gain confidence.

I don't know why but I trust Dipoto to fix the farm and handle prospects. Didn't he turn around the Angels farm system?

Not sure, but I feel the same.

Chapow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2h4yvoan said:
Not helping Felix offensively so far today. Men on 2nd and 3rd twice and no runs to show for it. C'mon Ms, get some runs!

There ya go. 4 runs with 2 outs in the top of the 5th. :D

Chapow

Reaction score
Felix is having a bit of a meltdown both with the pitching and the fielding. He bobbled a ball that would have been a double play at home then to 1st, instead a run scored and no one was out and the bases are still loaded.

And then Kyle lets another probable double play get by him for 2 more runs.

Ugly inning.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Chapow":2ypzgdi6 said:
Felix is having a bit of a meltdown both with the pitching and the fielding. He bobbled a ball that would have been a double play at home then to 1st, instead a run scored and no one was out and the bases are still loaded.

Ugly inning.
Don't forget his boneheaded decision to look at third instead of going for the easy out at first. He's been awful today. He's been a toad for most of the season so far. His walk count had climbed to an alarming rate. A lot of his pitches are in the dirt. This could be the beginning of the end

Chapow

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1ogz5gu6 said:
Chapow":1ogz5gu6 said:

Ugly inning.
Don't forget his boneheaded decision to look at third instead of going for the easy out at first. Yeah, that too He's been awful today. He's been a toad for most of the season so far. His walk count had climbed to an alarming rate. A lot of his pitches are in the dirt. This could be the beginning of the end

Not sure I'd go quite that far. Yeah, it hasn't been pretty much of the time this season, but coming in to today, his numbers (aside from the walks) were still really, really good. 1.38 ERA in 5 starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.