Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Offense has taken an early break before the All-Star break and disappeared. It's seriously bad without Cruz in there. Segura can't carry this offense alone, and Haniger has come back down to Earth as of late.

Bullpen has been abysmal.

Opposing teams seem to be playing this brand of aggressive hitting vs our entire pitching staff, bullpen included. Every batter seems to come out swinging at the first few pitches in every AB's. It's worked for the Angels and the Rockies are just following suit.

Man, we scare no one.
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• .....and right on cue, Nicasio in to blow a late lead.

Why oh why is he allowed to pitch in close games, and why is he still on this team. His ERA is 6.08 and it’s mid July.
    The guy sucks, cut your losses, eat the contract and move on.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I said before toughest division in the league. It's going to come down to the last week of the season. Hold onto your horses.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Can’t score against one of the worst bullpens in the league in one of the best hitters parks. Let the same crappy pitchers come in and blow late inning leads. There is zero reason a guy with a 6.08 era is still in your bullpen blowing games, none!

Pathetic.

Hope they rest up during the AS break.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Microcosm of our offense lately. Top 6, Jean Segura. Yep, Jean freaking Segura.

Take two strikes, middle away, look very hittable. Something to slap into right for a knock. Take a wild swing at a pitch down out of the zone, pop up to CF. Oops.

:34853_doh:

Score 2 in the first. Take 5 innings off. Score again, but surprise, surprise we get outscored again.

I don't blame our pitchers for the last two games. They did about as well as you can expect against the Rockies at home. Not going to win many in Colorado if you only score 3-4 runs.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Microcosm of our offense lately. Top 6, Jean Segura. Yep, Jean freaking Segura.

Take two strikes, middle away, look very hittable. Something to slap into right for a knock. Take a wild swing at a pitch down out of the zone, pop up to CF. Oops.

Score 2 in the first. Take 5 innings off. Score again, but surprise, surprise we get outscored again.

I don't blame our pitchers for the last two games. They did about as well as you can expect against the Rockies at home. Not going to win many in Colorado if you only score 3-4 runs.

Gamel also had a poor AB swinging at ball 4 producing a weak grounder to 2nd, to end the inning.

Have to partially disagree with the last point. Nicasio has no business pitching in a close ball game, none!

It’s time to end that failed experiment.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Microcosm of our offense lately. Top 6, Jean Segura. Yep, Jean freaking Segura.

Gamel also had a poor AB swinging at ball 4 producing a weak grounder to 2nd, to end the inning.

Have to partially disagree with the last point. Nicasio has no business pitching in a close ball game, none!

Well, I was referencing the starters, mostly. Won't argue about Nicasio.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Microcosm of our offense lately. Top 6, Jean Segura. Yep, Jean freaking Segura.

Well, I was referencing the starters, mostly. Won't argue about Nicasio.

Gotcha, and I agree.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:

Nicasio has no business pitching in a close ball game, none!

5 blown saves for Nicasio now. What exactly will it take for Servais and Jerry to finally release him?

And our team is now sliding back to its talent level. We have a run differential of -2. 10th out of 15 in the AL in runs scored, 7th in runs allowed. You can’t sustain a .500 level at that rate, let alone a .600 wildcard contender. Jerry has to make some moves somehow-we need a bat, another starter and another setup man. Not hopeful we have the farm pieces to actually accomplish that, but something has to be done.

3 game lead over Oakland quickly dwindling away. Come on Jerry—figure it out.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Idiots like "The Groz" claiming that it was a done deal, in mid July. What a joke, and he gets paid to talk sports.
    Not even half way thru the season, and somehow we are locked in? Nope.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Our run differential tells me that we win close games and lose in blowouts.

The bullpen went from one of the best to a liability. Our entire pen used to be reliable, now the only guys that I feel confident with are Diaz, Colome and Pazos. We need Altavilla back and need someone to step up. Please no more Rumbelow, Nicasio or Lawrence.

I'm not worried about the hitting. The team will get Cano back soon. Losing Cruz in the NL park hurt us. Healy is very cold but has shown he can heat up quick. Not sure how I feel about Healy. At times he looks like our best hitter, but he can also look like our worst. He needs to learn plate discipline. Him and Seager's OBP under .300 is inexcusable. I feel like CF is somewhere we can really upgrade. Heredia is great defensively but has been awful at the plate. It's really too bad Haniger, Gamel or Span can't comfortably play that position.

Even I fell into the idea that we were a lock to make the playoffs. I don't think anyone predicted the A's going on this kind of run. Looks like no relaxing for M's fans, should be a battle all the way to the final games. I just hope the A's aren't buyers at the deadline, because they probably got more to offer than us.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• It was a disappointing end to the all star break. The team fell apart and honestly we miss Zunino more then ppl think. His offense is bad but his pitch calling, framing,arm,etc makes up for it.

We need to come out of the gate this weekend and win 2 of 3. Safeco needs to be full to show we have their back.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Truth. Flat out have to win this next series. They have done pretty well at beating up on crap teams. But man, when they come up against a good team, they just have not looked good. There's a strange feel about the team right now. It's baseball, it happens, but damn. It's really hard not to go in to the "here we go again" mode. I'm trying :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• If any team needed a break it is the Mariners for sure..
    Hope we get these injured guys back healthy for a run.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I have a hard time imagining Nicasio staying on this team much longer. He is so awful. He might be Jerry's biggest relief arm whiff. Joaquin Benoit looked like a sure fire hall of famer compared to Nicasio. The other day, Servais was talking about how important results are with his roster. With Festa being called up and making the huge jump from High A, he must be very well regarded.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Segura wins the all star game. Fun.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:Segura wins the all star game. Fun.

Or Diaz loses them the game. If Votto just caught that foul ball there would be no Segura home run.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Atradees wrote:Segura wins the all star game. Fun.

Or Diaz loses them the game. If Votto just caught that foul ball there would be no Segura home run.

Bregman gets the MVP for his 10th inning solo shot. :roll: Segura had 3 RBI and 2 runs scored on 2 at bats.

Diaz blows the save but gets the win. :laugh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

Bregman gets the MVP for his 10th inning solo shot. :roll: Segura had 3 RBI and 2 runs scored on 2 at bats.

Diaz blows the save but gets the win. :laugh:

Diaz blew the MVP for Segura is more like it. He shuts the door, Bergman doesn’t hit in the 10th.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Awesome All Star performance by Segura. He deserved the MVP. Great to see 4 M's in there. Back to business and get back on the right track this weekend.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah Diaz definitely cost Segura the MVP. Fun game though.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:

So? Votto didn't catch the foul ball and Segura did hit that home run.

There are probably a thousand times over the course of a season where you could say if only some guy had just made some play then some other thing wouldn't have happened.

If Diaz just didn't give up that home run in the 9th, he would have gotten the save and Segura would have been MVP. See? Just like that.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

There are probably a thousand times over the course of a season where you could say if only some guy had just made some play then some other thing wouldn't have happened.

If Diaz just didn't give up that home run in the 9th, he would have gotten the save and Segura would have been MVP. See? Just like that.

I wasn’t saying Segura got lucky, I just stayed a fact. Votto dropped a foul ball and then Segura hit a HR. All I meant was that Votto was probably kicking himself after the home run.

Segura should have won MVP, but I honestly don’t really care because it is an AS game.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

I wasn’t saying Segura got lucky, I just stayed a fact. Votto dropped a foul ball and then Segura hit a HR. All I meant was that Votto was probably kicking himself after the home run.

Segura should have won MVP, but I honestly don’t really care because it is an AS game.

It just sounded like you were trying to discount his HR because Votto didn't make a play. Yeah, Votto should have caught that foul ball. He didn't. Segura made them pay. Segura deserves the same amount of credit for coming up with a huge 3 run HR regardless of what happened before that. Votto not making a play doesn't diminish what Segura did.

And yeah, Segura definitely got snubbed for the MVP.

Bregman went 1 for 3 with 1 HR, 1 RBI, scored 1 run and had 1 strikeout.

Segura went 2 for 2 with 1 single, 1 HR, 3RBI, scored 2 runs and didn't have an out.

Not to mention it wasn't Bregman that hit the game winning HR. Bregman hit the go ahead HR, but Springer hit the game winning HR. The NL scored in the bottom of the 10th.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:How's crap for spring Haniger doing?

He’s an allstar! 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Baseball is back tonight!

:irishdrinkers:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Kyle Seager is the most expendable and I think Cano can play 3rd when he’s back. If I was Dipoto, I’d look to move Seager for some pitching help. If the Rockies can dominate the M’s, then the M’s have a lot of work to do to be postseason ready. Rockies proved good pitching can shut down good hitting.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Looks like Servais got an extension. Didn't hear the details yet.

For you haters. :snack:

Thought I'd add a link: https://www.mlb.com/news/scott-servais- ... -286521550

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Not a hater just think he mismanages the bullpen too frequently for my tastes. That is fixable however.

Nice game by Wade. Giving me Moyer flashbacks which is a good thing.

Diaz back on track. Good win.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Not a hater just think he mismanages the bullpen too frequently for my tastes. That is fixable however.

Nice game by Wade. Giving me Moyer flashbacks which is a good thing.

Diaz back on track. Good win.

Well, his first year is kind of a throwaway, though they did almost make the playoffs. 2016, they went through what? 40 some pitchers? 17 different starters? I'd argue he hasn't had a lot to work with so far.

Now, I won't agure against adding bullpen help, they've been a little shaky, it's true. Diaz seemed to have gotten over the shakes that hit him at the AS game. He looked pretty good last night, although he gave up a walk. Probably a good idea after he got behind in the count, instead of risking grooving a fast ball against a power hitter. Other than that, he was his normal self, dominant.

There have been some comparing LeBlanc to Moyer. The announcers even said that last night. Similar styles, low speed, but great control over location and uses his curve and change well. Obviously, he needs to do this for another 6-8 years to compare with Jamie, but he's off to a good start.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I like Dipoto's idea on playing Cano at 1st base when he's eligible to play again. Healy isn't getting the job done right now especially with that low OBP. M's are averaging 1 less run per game since Cano was suspended. You need him in the line up for this last push.

Heredia unfortunately isn't the answer at CF. Might as well keep Gamel out there regularly. He's got better stats across the board.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• We need cf, rp and sp. Those are 3 needs. Ill say we get 2 of 3.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• A little worried about Felix tonight. :pray:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:A little worried about Felix tonight. :pray:

I haven't had the chance to watch many Ms games here on the East Coast. This is the first time I've watched Felix pitch a game in years. He's flat out terrible. This needs to be his last season in a Seattle uniform.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Being 1 hit thru 8 by some no-name!

Time for some ass ripping by the coaching staff. Guys are starting to feel too comfortable.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Pathetic. Can't take advantage against COL or CHI who have some of the worst pitching in the league. 13 games left against HOU, 10 against OAK. Not looking good at the moment.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Pathetic. Can't take advantage against COL or CHI who have some of the worst pitching in the league. 13 games left against HOU, 10 against OAK. Not looking good at the moment.

Agreed. Somehow we make scrubs look like cy young I DONT GET IT
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Felix continues to have that one bad inning. Earlier in the year, he was having it in the first inning, forcing our bats to try and catch up. Sometimes they did, sometimes not. His last couple of outings, he has delayed it, last night to the 4th inning. He's not a 5 inning/100 pitch guy any more.

Maybe he can learn to transition to being a finesse pitcher, but it's not looking good so far. He seems to drift back into thinking he can throw stuff by hitters, and pays the price for it.

The market doesn't look real good right now, and some of the best arms have already been snatched up. At best, I guess we might be able to pick up some bullpen help, but I'm not convinced that's the biggest problem. Having said that, our two setup guys look pretty sketchy right now.

If we need Cano that badly to score runs, we'll be in trouble in the playoffs if we get there.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• 100% agree with the part about Felix thinking he can throw a fastball by hitters anymore. It’s by far his worst pitch, it’s a batting practice quality pitch. The problem with it is there is literally no mph speed separation between that pitch and his offspeed stuff. Hitters are sitting on an offspeed pitch and can still hit the fastball out.

Hitting is all timing.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• He leaves his sliders hanging too often, too.

HEALY with a 3 run bomb in the first inning. Maybe Dipoto's decision to give Cano some playing time at first base will light a fire under his arse.
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Gonzo is dealing. Would like to see them push a couple more runs across though.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Crizilla wrote:He leaves his sliders hanging too often, too.

HEALY with a 3 run bomb in the first inning. Maybe Dipoto's decision to give Cano some playing time at first base will light a fire under his arse.

Healy is the whipping boy for mariner fans. He has 19 home runs in the 7 spot. He does great at scooping throws in the dirt to first as well as stretching for them. He is still learning first base. Everyone wants Vogelbach and he sucks every opportunity he has gotten. Healy does slump but i like the guy.

The Oakland A's are looking to haunt us again. Im nervous as can be. We are playing poorly right now and Oakland is cruising. Hopefully we can hold them off and we get hot again and Oakland stumbles.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Why is Nicasio is the game with the tying run at the plate?

Got out of it, odds wise it’s the stupid thing to do! 6+ era and an even worse inherited runners ERA you have to start to wonder if SS is high.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:Why is Nicasio is the game with the tying run at the plate?

Got out of it, odds wise it’s the stupid thing to do! 6+ era and an even worse inherited runners ERA you have to start to wonder if SS is high.

Yeah, that was kinda worrisome. We were one pitch away from being tied. :bitenails:

I guess he needs to work in those situations and get to where he can do what he did today, get out of it. Personally, I def would have left Pazos in there.

Good game overall. Marco came out of the break looking pretty good.

I think I know why Z is in the game, the pitchers really respond to him, though I dont think Nicasio hit Z's spot more than once or twice. :34853_doh:

Nice to see Diaz had to sit down. :mrgreen: He's getting to the point where he is close to being over-used. If the bats come alive to where we only need Sugar 2-3 times a week, that would be helpful for the stretch.

60 wins, 40 losses. Pretty good for the first 100. :2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I believe Ms will need 95-97 wins for 2nd WC or 100-101(wow) for the first.

So if your thinking the 2nd Wildcard they must go 35-27 to 37-25 which is doable. If your looking for first wildcard then 40-22 or 41-21 and thats hard to do.

I feel oakland will finish with 94-95 wins. Its gonna come down to head to heads. Oakland got familla who went 2innings today and earned the win.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:I believe Ms will need 95-97 wins for 2nd WC or 100-101(wow) for the first.

So if your thinking the 2nd Wildcard they must go 35-27 to 37-25 which is doable. If your looking for first wildcard then 40-22 or 41-21 and thats hard to do.

I feel oakland will finish with 94-95 wins. Its gonna come down to head to heads. Oakland got familla who went 2innings today and earned the win.

Your calculations look to be about right IMO. 62 games left. Trade deadline coming up. Gonna get a real look at how good DiPoto and Servais are. Pulling Marco early was a good move. He's already pitched more innings than ever before in his career. Will have to manage him down the stretch.

Doesn't look like a great year WRT available talent. Jerry's gonna need to do some mining. He doesn't really like rental players, but it looks like we have cash available, especially with Cano missing half of his paychecks. We've been mostly healthy so far (knock wood). Let's hope that continues. :pray:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:I believe Ms will need 95-97 wins for 2nd WC or 100-101(wow) for the first.

Your calculations look to be about right IMO. 62 games left. Trade deadline coming up. Gonna get a real look at how good DiPoto and Servais are. Pulling Marco early was a good move. He's already pitched more innings than ever before in his career. Will have to manage him down the stretch.

Doesn't look like a great year WRT available talent. Jerry's gonna need to do some mining. He doesn't really like rental players, but it looks like we have cash available, especially with Cano missing half of his paychecks. We've been mostly healthy so far (knock wood). Let's hope that continues. :pray:

If i was jerry and i obviously am not, id go for a SP, RP and a CF. I heard that we are trying for Asbrudal Cabrera(spelling wrong) who is 2B and is batting .282 and 17 homers. Now if that happens i guarantee Dee goes to CF, and cabrera at 2b and cano as a floater.

Heredia with more PT has been pretty bad on O but his D is solid. I think we may trade him, Gamel, and possibly seager. I know seager sounds like a "wtf" but while his d is solid, his O has been killed by the shift.

Im nervous about oakland.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Nice win today. Healy stole the show today and nice to have Zunino back behind the plate. Marco has clearly slated himself as the #2 on this team. Like others on here mentioned, we need to find a way to scale his innings back, same goes for LeBlanc.

I think you are right that we need about 95 wins to make the WC. I wasn't happy to see the A's trade for Familia, they are obviously going to make a push for the playoffs. With how the A's have ran their franchise in the past, I was hoping they would stand back but that is clearly not the case. Head to head with Oakland will be huge. Second to last series of the season is at home against Oakland, the season could come down to those games.

Not a lot on the market in terms of starting pitching, but we need to add an arm. Even if it is just to take some innings off of the current starters. I've been beating this drum for a while now, but would really like to see the Mariners make a run at Eovladi or Archer. It's also become clear that Heredia is a liability at the plate and if we can upgrade CF, we should make that move.

The team is good but not great. If I had to predict, we play a one game playoff in Boston or NY and the season likely ends there.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I think we match up well with Boston. Ny? Im not sure yet. So vs boston i think we have a shot. Id just like a shot. Thats it.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information