Mariners 2019 season

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Homeplate up is horrible today. His strike zone tends to get expanded in the bottom of innings.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Nobody should be surprised by the outcome of this series. Mariners have overachieved and will probably be lucky to win around 80 games this season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":20f136jk said:
And there you have it. Swept. Gosh I hate these stupid freaking Astros. :pukeface:

Astros have a GM that understands you need to have superior pitching. Great pitching can minimize great hitting. Astros are a well balanced team. That’s the difference between the Astros and the Ms.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Playing a decent team has a tendency to bring things back to reality. I expect this team will be 10 games under by the end of the year.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not worried a bunch about the final record this year. After the euphoria of the fast start, and the downer of the 'Stros series, I'm reminded that we just saw why we took the "step back." Last year we actually won the season series series against Houston. It didn't do us much good.

So we dumped a bunch of aging vets and a ton of salary with the strategy of rebuilding the farm system and bringing in some "middle aged" players with a future-meaning guys in their late 20's just starting or in the prime of their career age arc. In the guise of "things are never as good or as bad as they seem" we still have a couple of months to see where we really are this year, whereupon we can decide just where we want to go vis-a-vis contending this year versus holding out for next year.

One thing we definitely should NOT do is trade away too much of these good quality AA and AAA players we've brought in for a one and done shot at the playoffs. Frankly, right now I want to develop those young guys when the rosters expand, not trade them away on some vet rent-a-players to try for a wild card game.

Atradees

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":19t0nzrb said:
Atradees":19t0nzrb said:
Who gets called up for Wade?

I just looked at the transactions. They put LeBlanc on the 10 day and called up Erik Swanson from Tacoma. Leblanc was diagnosed with a grade 2 oblique strain. Sounds like we won't see him for 4-6 weeks, which is a real bummer. Don't know much about Swanson outside of the fact that he was included in the Paxton deal, so I did some research and came across this somewhat encouraging article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lo...can-make-of-the-rest-mariners-pitcher-yankees

He pitched in relief recently and did well for awhile then gave a dooming run. He was sent down after which surprised me considering he looked decent. then Wade Leblanc got hurt. So he is going to start?

sutz

Reaction score
Atradees":6890q1sb said:
Thepeelsessions":6890q1sb said:
Atradees":6890q1sb said:

I just looked at the transactions. They put LeBlanc on the 10 day and called up Erik Swanson from Tacoma. Leblanc was diagnosed with a grade 2 oblique strain. Sounds like we won't see him for 4-6 weeks, which is a real bummer. Don't know much about Swanson outside of the fact that he was included in the Paxton deal, so I did some research and came across this somewhat encouraging article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lo...can-make-of-the-rest-mariners-pitcher-yankees

He pitched in relief recently and did well for awhile then gave a dooming run. He was sent down after which surprised me considering he looked decent. then Wade Leblanc got hurt. So he is going to start?
Today they had Servais on pre-game and he said Swanson might probably start Wed.

Atradees

Reaction score
sutz":754aouti said:
Atradees":754aouti said:
Thepeelsessions":754aouti said:
Atradees":754aouti said:

Today they had Servais on pre-game and he said Swanson might probably start Wed.

Its an interesting new wrinkle. maybe he will get some run support.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pretty good example of what elite teams do. Houston is elite right now. Better pitching and bench pretty much. I live near Houston and have seen it the last few years.

I was hoping the M's could compete, but when the allowed 2 grand slams in the 1st game I knew what was to be.

I'm still rooting for the M's however.

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":3vofqssx said:
Pretty good example of what elite teams do. Houston is elite right now. Better pitching and bench pretty much. I live near Houston and have seen it the last few years.

I was hoping the M's could compete, but when the allowed 2 grand slams in the 1st game I knew what was to be.

The M's competed pretty well in two games that series. Losing by one run is hardly getting stomped. :229031_shrug:

Largent80

Reaction score
sutz":3dv3urv9 said:
Largent80":3dv3urv9 said:

The M's competed pretty well in two games that series. Losing by one run is hardly getting stomped. :229031_shrug:

I didn't say they got stomped. I said houston is elite, and the M's are not. They got off to a good start and got swept at home regardless of how close the games were. A loss is a loss in the appropriate column, and Houstons pitching took away Seattles bats which had been propelling them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love my M's thru thick and thin. But Houston is just at another level. At least for now. And that's ok, this team is building and should be real good real soon.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2k6suzw4 said:
I love my M's thru thick and thin. But Houston is just at another level. At least for now. And that's ok, this team is building and should be real good real soon.
Totally agree.. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Houston has better pitching and defense.
Plain and simple. M’s are still exciting to watch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Why are we comparing these two teams. One is a WS contender, the other is rebuilding. Would be like trying to compare the Bills to the Chiefs.

Mariners might get there but for now we are a rebuilding team that overachieved early on.