Mariners 2019 season

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":16oa42lz said:
Sheffield is pitching a gem. 8 K's through 4. :irishdrinkers:

(Please don't be a jinx :pray: )

:laugh:

Well, at least they came through with another clutch win!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Lewis belongs in Seattle next season along with the 2 catchers.
I'm not sure who else on offense I'd keep?Nola?
Pitching is different ..A few arms I'd want to stay.

sutz

Reaction score
Gonzalez with a leadoff double in the 5th. Scores on a Shed Long single.

:irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
Well, at least they're beating up on the teams worse than them. :)

Swept Pittsburgh, now headed to Baltimore for three. Should win at least two there.

Last home series is a killer though. 2 with Houston, 4 with Oakland. Be lucky to get 2 out of that mess.

But at least we won't lose 100 games this year.

:)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3ho4rwqo said:

Swept Pittsburgh, now headed to Baltimore for three. Should win at least two there.

Last home series is a killer though. 2 with Houston, 4 with Oakland. Be lucky to get 2 out of that mess.

If you can take anything away from 2019, at least you got Kyle Lewis some MLB AB’s and success.
They need to start bringing up more “future” next year from AA. Kelenic and White should be up next year at some point.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bhsha4g said:
sutz":2bhsha4g said:

If you can take anything away from 2019, at least you got Kyle Lewis some MLB AB’s and success.
They need to start bringing up more “future” next year from AA. Kelenic and White should be up next year at some point.
It hurts, but I kind of like that they're being patient with the young guys. We've screwed up a few good players in the past by rushing them to the bigs. Dunn was better in his 2d start. Maybe he gets 2 more this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":q790ul5k said:
sutz":q790ul5k said:

I'd like to see them supplement with some good, young talented FAs.

I think that was their plan, but the market crashed when guys started getting extended.

Interesting off-season coming up

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1x7nt3p3 said:
Sports Hernia":1x7nt3p3 said:
sutz":1x7nt3p3 said:

I'd like to see them supplement with some good, young talented FAs.

I think that was their plan, but the market crashed when guys started getting extended.

Interesting off-season coming up
If you listen to DiPoto, this is in the plan, but we're a year or more off from going that direction. For one thing, all the contract dollars we've cleared off the books won't really kick in until next year, so we're still weighed down by the big salaries we moved this year. That gets better after 2020.

Also, I noticed a clip/interview a month or so ago about how they are trying to manage the young guys. Basically, they are trying to get 3-4 of them, at least, playing together for a full season or two at AA and maybe AAA and them bring them up more or less simultaneously, so they know each other well and have experience playing together. Makes sense to me.

It really looks like they have a real plan, not just a reactive hodge-podge of trying to throw a bunch of pieces together and expect to win a lot of games. Until we get the youthful core up to the M's together, it's kind of wasteful to blow a lot of bucks on FA. Even then, they need to concentrate on actual value on the field, and not just big names to attract fans based on marquis value. Like you say, relatively young FAs that have future value as well as name recognition.

I'd expect for the near future that they'll use FA money on keeping the bullpen afloat, and not spending a lot on position players.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I do, however, think their timetable has been impacted by the number of upcoming FAs who have already signed extensions (something that was, up to this year, fairly rare in baseball)

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bhpqkc7 said:
I do, however, think their timetable has been impacted by the number of upcoming FAs who have already signed extensions (something that was, up to this year, fairly rare in baseball)
You may be right, but I don't think they're ready right now anyway. Perhaps they will play a little, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are really quiet this offseason in any but the pitching staff. Probably time to work a bit on that, but they drafted 22 of them or so this year. Need to see if any of them pan out.

IMO, they definitely don't want to spend on a big name FA at a position where we have top flight prospects coming up in the near future. Crawford seems to be working out at SS, at least defensively. Certainly, Lewis is the future and Kelenic. They haven't given up on Haniger yet, but if he misses another season, they probably will move on.

YK had a sketchy first season, but we have to give him more time, of course. A lot invested there. Gonzales looks like a solid 15 win guy going forward, and Dunn may have a future. We've actually found some avg to avg+ guys in the bullpen. Will be interesting if they keep some of them around.

Gotta love our catcher situation. Both guys are decent glove/solid bat guys. Wouldn't mind that duo sticking around, with Nola as the 3rd guy and utility infielder. Pretty stacked there.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lewis is 2-2 with a homerun and a double. “Batting Practice Felix” has shown up.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Was Felix considered an automatic bid for the Hall Of Fame a few years ago? Is he playing himself out of Cooperstown? Would be an interesting discussion.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":y1dgnnql said:
Was Felix considered an automatic bid for the Hall Of Fame a few years ago? Is he playing himself out of Cooperstown? Would be an interesting discussion.
Not sure about that but in his prime he was one of the best pitchers in MLB.
That’s when he was losing games 1-0, and 2-1 all of the time because Seattle couldn’t score any runs.
Then once they had an offense, he lost velocity on his fastball and started getting lit up.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
OF
Lewis
Haniger
Smith

3b- Seager
2b- Long
SS- Crawford
1b- White

C-Narvaez and Murphy (one of these guys will be trade bait at some point)

DH- Santana (4th OF also)
Utility- Nola

Trade Gordon and Healy if you can. Not sure what you do with Vogey, as much as I love the guy, after his hot start he did nothing but hit a few bombs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3g0cg1eu said:
OF
Lewis
Haniger
Smith

3b- Seager
2b- Long
SS- Crawford
1b- White

Utility- Nola

Trade Gordon and Healy if you can. Not sure what you do with Vogey, as much as I love the guy, after his hot start he did nothing but hit a few bombs.
I think this club looks a ton different in 2020 and 2021. I can see them trading Haniger at some point in the next year or 2 for pitching, as your outfield will be Lewis, Kelenic and Julio Ramirez (2021). I love Haniger as a player but unless you plan
On him as the DH or rotate him and the above mentioned young OF’s at DH there isn’t an OF position for him.

Plus you have White and other players that are at AA now that might be solid contributors.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3kh4fir1 said:
XxXdragonXxX":3kh4fir1 said:
OF
Lewis
Haniger
Smith

3b- Seager
2b- Long
SS- Crawford
1b- White

Utility- Nola

I think this club looks a ton different in 2020 and 2021. I can see them trading Haniger at some point in the next year or 2 for pitching, as your outfield will be Lewis, Kelenic and Julio Ramirez (2021). I love Haniger as a player but unless you plan
On him as the DH or rotate him and the above mentioned young OF’s at DH there isn’t an OF position for him.

Plus you have White and other players that are at AA now that might be solid contributors.
Vogey is a one trick pony..Haniger is hurt too much(trade)Love Lewis..The bat speed and balls
exit velo is off the charts..Long looks pretty good at leadoff..Seager can we trade?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sutz":1q3akig0 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1q3akig0 said:
I believe Seager's contract is up at the end of this season?
Nope. Signed through 2021 with a $15Mil team option in 22, which flips to a player option if we trade him. A lot of teams won't trade into that. Possible, but unlikely.

And all $100 mill is guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mar ... ager-8618/
Wow, 2021. Holy hell!
Well he's a 3B for 2 more seasons. Not tradable as you mentioned. At least he started going the other way against the shift at times this year so trying to improve.
Thanks for clarifying.

sutz

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3du6nn1e said:
sutz":3du6nn1e said:
hawksfansinceday1":3du6nn1e said:
I believe Seager's contract is up at the end of this season?
Nope. Signed through 2021 with a $15Mil team option in 22, which flips to a player option if we trade him. A lot of teams won't trade into that. Possible, but unlikely.

And all $100 mill is guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/seattle-mar ... ager-8618/
Wow, 2021. Holy hell!
Well he's a 3B for 2 more seasons. Not tradable as you mentioned. At least he started going the other way against the shift at times this year so trying to improve.
Thanks for clarifying.
He's actually been hitting pretty well since the all star break.