Justin Upton invokes no trade clause, rejects M's deal

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ms fans.... "I'm tired of waiting".... "wait don't trade our future to win"

We can't have it both ways. Me personally I like the deal. Gives up somedecent prospects but maintains the overall integrity of the farm (ie not trading two of the big 3) and brings in a very good hitter.

However, I'm fine waiting one more year for every name in this proposed trade to get a call up. Its taking some time but I could see this team becoming a Twins esque organization in a year or two, all home grown products. (Including taking in some of their players like Jason Kubel)

Either way Uptons choice now. The NTC is there to give Upton some leverage. While many see it as a reflection of @Mariners offensive ineptitude" he also had the Red Sox and Jays on there. Pretty good parks to hit and really good offensive teams. Not sure Upton is worth it all, but this isn't quite like the Bedard deal. Bedard was a pitcher, couldn't play everyday. Jones impact completely outshone him in the end

Just my thoughts. Atleast there is movement.. don't think we are done with this either way

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1qbkwu17 said:
Sorry, but I really rather not do another Bedard trade where we are forced to watch a handful of young players blossom on another team. Walker alone could end up ridiculous. Not saying Upton would be a Bedard level bust at all. And I'm not against trading prospects. But THAT many for just one guy? No thanks.

Just counting out the trade on the basis of number of players is a bit misleading. Adam Jones was a major-league ready outfielder with star potential and trading him was incredibly shortsighted. Nick Franklin isn't quite that strong of a prospect. Walker is the one it'd be a bummer to lose, but in return you're getting a 25-year-old outfielder with superstar potential who has already produced at the major league level and is good defensively. He has 3-4 years remaining on his contract. This is opposed to a 29-year-old (or 30 or whatever Bedard was) injury-prone pitcher with 2 years left on his contract.

The other two players are relievers - talented, yes, but the position is among the most replaceable and least valuable in baseball. The cost of losing a talented reliever is not nearly so high as losing other talented prospects.

I'm not saying you should like the trade, but if you dislike it, it's probably more accurate to dislike it because you don't want to give up Walker (I don't) or Franklin (I could go either way).

For my part, I like it but am hesitant to give up Walker. Then again, I saw what happened to Pineda for the Yankees.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
pinksheets":1nrcwihb said:
Hawkfan77":1nrcwihb said:
Probably a good thing this trade doesn't happen. Upton is not the bat we should trade that type of offer for. Now I understand that it was a 4 for 2 trade and we don't know who the other player was we were getting in return, but trading Walker is a tough pill to swallow. Had it been Paxton in the deal, then I'd be bummed Upton said no. But since it was Walker, thanks Upton.

I just hope the Mariners aren't trying to negotiate with Upton to get him to change his mind. Save the prospects and go after Stanton next year.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but who is that bat we should trade Walker for?

Giancario Stanton, 23 year old OF from the Marlins. He's been in the league for 3 years and already has 93 HRs. He's an absolute stud. He's right up in there with Trout and Harper as the best young players in baseball, and IMO, he has by far the best of those 3. He's going to cost more than Upton, but in a year, in those prospects continue to develop, their value goes up as well which helps us in a trade.

I like Upton, but he's not the elite we should be going after when trading the #1 pitching prospect in baseball. If the best we can do is Upton, I'd rather stay the course and have a rotation of: Felix, Walker, Hultzen, Paxton and Maurer (extremely unlikely I know, but I can dream!)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7kc170ve said:
Ms fans.... "I'm tired of waiting".... "wait don't trade our future to win"

We can't have it both ways. Me personally I like the deal. Gives up somedecent prospects but maintains the overall integrity of the farm (ie not trading two of the big 3) and brings in a very good hitter.

However, I'm fine waiting one more year for every name in this proposed trade to get a call up. Its taking some time but I could see this team becoming a Twins esque organization in a year or two, all home grown products. (Including taking in some of their players like Jason Kubel)

Either way Uptons choice now. The NTC is there to give Upton some leverage. While many see it as a reflection of @Mariners offensive ineptitude" he also had the Red Sox and Jays on there. Pretty good parks to hit and really good offensive teams. Not sure Upton is worth it all, but this isn't quite like the Bedard deal. Bedard was a pitcher, couldn't play everyday. Jones impact completely outshone him in the end

Just my thoughts. Atleast there is movement.. don't think we are done with this either way
I agree, there's a time to overpay and a time to be "patient". The problem is that now is actually the time to be just a little more patient, which sounds crazy because this team hasn't won in over a decade. We have one of the best farm systems in baseball, AND our top prospects are in the advanced levels of the minors. That's the way this team will get competitive again, home grown talent. We can't overpay for players anymore (in FA or trade) like we do for every FA or like we did for Bedard.

This organization is in a good place, the 25 man roster is getting better and the young guys started to show some promise as last season ended.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
People in forums and even on 710 am keep saying players don't want to play in Seattle. The truth is POSITION players don't want to play here. Because the air down there next to the Sound is like trying to hit the ball through clam chowder. And not even that creamy nice clam chowder, but that god awful red kind. Yuck. Know what I'm sayin? And I think they'd want to come if the team wasn't so mired in crappiness. We got a bunch of high profile position players in the 00s to come here. I can't remember their names. We built that 2005 team with good free agent postion players.