College Basketball Thread 2014-15

hawks509

Reaction score
College basketball is officially back!!! What a great day it is. EWU had the nations first game this morning and chalked up the W. Gonzaga looks loaded this year and should be especially fun to watch. Here's to a longer March for the Zags than normal :kool-aid:

razgriz737

Reaction score
Go Zags!!! I agree that it looks like we've got a strong team this year. Hearing really good things about Wiltjer.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
All I am hearing are great things about Wiltjer and Sabonis. Sabonis is going to be the real deal. I missed the game last night because this is what is going on in my house this weekend.
2a00b4f586c2a5b72c1437b8908374c5.jpg
b8d65a9b86e51b8b9d88237a10fc2437.jpg

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
They had an amazing game albeit against Sac State. Hands down the most stacked team in the last 10 years of GU. Legitimately 9 deep right now, will be 10 in December when McClellan is eligible. They already had great chemistry as well which is nice when every player is an offensive threat

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
razgriz737":yg6f7r7l said:
Wiltjer and Sabonis both looked pretty great last night. I'm stoked for this season.

Sabonis is so smooth in the post already, nasty spin moves

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BIG Zags fan here too.......born and raised in Spokane. Would really like to se them final get that Final Four berth this year. They just might well do it too.

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":v7z8wcpz said:
BIG Zags fan here too.......born and raised in Spokane. Would really like to se them final get that Final Four berth this year. They just might well do it too.

Likewise, spokane native here as well. I want that FF so bad!!!!!

mbtitleist

Reaction score
I'm not a die hard college basketball fan but I enjoy watching Gonzaga. Speaking of good teams, how about Kentucky's performance last night against Kansas?

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
Yea the Zags looked great against SMU. Looking like this team will be impossible to shut down offensively. Something like 44 assist on 65 made FG's this tear, unbelievable ball movement so far. Hope to see it continue against SJU!

https://vine.co/v/O5LLPaOpjH6

mbtitleist":39c2ax6h said:
I'm not a die hard college basketball fan but I enjoy watching Gonzaga. Speaking of good teams, how about Kentucky's performance last night against Kansas?

UK looked good, but I wouldn't bank anything on that game. KU looked pretty bad overall and on top of that their team is a terrible matchup UK. To beat UK you're gonna need great guard play and shooting to stretch them out. Having a stretch big will help against them as well. You aren't going to beat them 1v1 or going to the the hole. Gonzaga definitely has the ingredients to match that recipe (in no way saying they would win, just that they have the pieces to counter UK style)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Saw the Zags against St. Joes the other night. Obviously a huge blowout so not necessarily the best way to judge a team but.............

- Sabonis is legit. Got a LOT of his dad's smoothness to his game. Wiltjer is a stud too.
- Karnowski is better this year, but still a bit of an oaf. Good on the boards though.
- Depth is good on this team, very good.
- Defense is tremendous. I haven't seen a team play this kind of man-to-man D in a long time. Their switching and then switching back to their original man is amazing. This aspect of their game was what impressed me the most and was one reason St. Joes only scored 10 in the first half.
- These guys seem very unselfish and offensive ball movement is excellent. Not much dribbling and a lot of hitting the guy with the open look.
- They can score inside, outside and intermediately which means they will be difficult to defend.

If Bell and Pangos stay healthy, this team is a definite threat for that Final Four.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
The one thing I see that the Zags lack is athleticism with the Bigs. The guards and wings are very legit tho. Should be fun to watch this year

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
Cannot believe that kick to the face of Josh Perkins. Gaines should have been ejected and be facing a suspension. Dirtiest play I've seen in a long time

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawks509":281ku2e9 said:
Cannot believe that kick to the face of Josh Perkins. Gaines should have been ejected and be facing a suspension. Dirtiest play I've seen in a long time
Completely agree. It was really obvious on replay he did it on purpose. Horrid officiating there and with replay to watch it on no less. Think the refs were anti Zags? The sad thing is if indeed his jaw is broken he'll be out half the season minimum and Gaines will be playing in their next game.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Cold not agree more and this isn't the first time a Georgia team has pulled crap like this. It was a Georgia player that clothes lined Pargo and caused Pargo to have back problems all year long. At least the refs kicked him out in that game. I hope the Zags never play Georgia again.

OP
OP
H

hawks509

Reaction score
Perkins confirmed with a broken jaw. Estimating at least six weeks but they'll know more when they're back in town. Looks like we'll be burning Melson's RS, but at least we have a player like him available

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawks509":1e7ee8qu said:
Perkins confirmed with a broken jaw. Estimating at least six weeks but they'll know more when they're back in town........
Meanwhile, Gaines plays tomorrow and every game thereafter. What a POS.