Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

M's Off season, 2017-2018

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 am
  • Crizilla wrote:Manny Machado PLEASE

    It'd take a pretty big package to get Machado and they need to be spending what's left in their budget on a couple Starting Pitchers.

    Paxton
    Darvish
    Lynn/Cobb
    Felix
    Leake

    Iwakuma
    Gonzales
    Miranda
    Ramirez
    Moore

    If they can add legit #2 and #3 starters, they'll be legit contenders.
    Last edited by massari on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1256
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 am
  • M's add relief pitcher Juan Nicasio after Dee Gordon trade.

    These are good moves
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13469
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:46 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Oooops.

    http://www.12up.com/posts/5902664-repor ... _aid=36534

    We all just hate hidden injuries.

    Looks like the M's dodged a big bullet here.


    not really...


    UCL sprains have a way of becoming tears, which then necessitates Tommy John surgery. We definitely lucked out a bit here.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

    He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    User avatar
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6399
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:28 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Oooops.

    http://www.12up.com/posts/5902664-repor ... _aid=36534

    We all just hate hidden injuries.

    Looks like the M's dodged a big bullet here.


    not really...


    UCL sprains have a way of becoming tears, which then necessitates Tommy John surgery. We definitely lucked out a bit here.

    Ohtani's only making about $2M. Hardly a risk.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1256
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:41 pm
  • There's been some talk about a 6 man rotation, what do you all think of that?

    I"m just concerned that if that happens, and you don't have good starters, won't your bullpen be shy since, you need another starter?
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:43 pm
  • massari wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:Looks like the M's dodged a big bullet here.


    not really...


    UCL sprains have a way of becoming tears, which then necessitates Tommy John surgery. We definitely lucked out a bit here.

    Ohtani's only making about $2M. Hardly a risk.


    They were talking about that, and from vaguely what I understand is, he's at that price since, he's coming in as a rookie or something, but the club holds his contract and in a couple of years, he will be in the big bucks area that the team will be responsible for.

    Sorry, not sure of the baseball technical jargon for it.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:01 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    massari wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    not really...


    UCL sprains have a way of becoming tears, which then necessitates Tommy John surgery. We definitely lucked out a bit here.

    Ohtani's only making about $2M. Hardly a risk.


    They were talking about that, and from vaguely what I understand is, he's at that price since, he's coming in as a rookie or something, but the club holds his contract and in a couple of years, he will be in the big bucks area that the team will be responsible for.

    Sorry, not sure of the baseball technical jargon for it.

    I'm pretty sure there is a limit on how much can be paid foreign players.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:There's been some talk about a 6 man rotation, what do you all think of that?

    I"m just concerned that if that happens, and you don't have good starters, won't your bullpen be shy since, you need another starter?

    I was thinking last year that we should limit the number of starts Felix gets as a protection. The rest of the rotation probably wouldn't need it, though. This year, without the international games creating additional stress on his arm, perhaps he can last longer.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 am
  • The bullpen is bulking up it seems. I think the team wants to limit starter innings and turn to a bigger bullpen to close out situationally.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13469
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:37 pm
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4590
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm
  • The guy would rather play in Japan than be a Mariner heh.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    User avatar
    Msfann
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1903
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:37 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:29 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:There's been some talk about a 6 man rotation, what do you all think of that?

    I"m just concerned that if that happens, and you don't have good starters, won't your bullpen be shy since, you need another starter?


    Honestly, I'd say that baseball (as a whole) has been moving in that direction for some time now. It's just that it's taken a long time for a lot of baseball purists (I would lump myself in that category) to get on board with that idea.

    Seriously though, take a look at the pitching landscape in baseball. How many guys threw complete games last year? How about the last few years? How many guys are honestly even going 7 or 8 innings consistently anymore? Even the ones who DO get up into the 7th and 8th inning -- just how effective are they (in general) at that point?

    We are seeing pitchers throwing harder than ever ... and they are basically done after 90-100 pitches (at best) anymore. For me as a long time MLB fan (and a fan of the Mariners), there's a part of me that just flat out makes me sick. Seriously, I remember well the days of Nolan Ryan ... and Randy Johnson (when he was with the M's) regularly being up in that 120-130 pitch range ... and going into the 8th and 9 innings with regularity. You just expected that.

    That's not the case anymore in baseball at all. You are seeing a lot of move towards specialization in pitching. MLB clubs are looking for that hard throwing middle relief guy you can bring in in the 6th or 7th inning that can get you to the 8th or your closer in the 9th. Many clubs are really beefing up their bullpen (ergo, which is why you're seeing JeDi do the exact same thing over the course of these last few days).

    Things are changing ... and I guess I'd just say that the Mariners are pioneering (leading the charge) towards what we are going to eventually be seeing throughout baseball. I expect 6 man rotations to become fairly commonplace in the next 5 years or so.

    And it makes sense -- especially from what we saw from this M's team last year, it makes definite sense. Some day, if someone ever asks you, "What does it look like when a club has great offense, but no pitching?" -- you can honestly say -- "See the 2017 Seattle Mariners." They are the quintessential textbook example of what happens when your pitching goes awry. We'll see if it works. If the powers that be honestly think it might help, I'm game for virtually any kind of innovative idea at this point. With the status of the division and how it looks to be shaping up once again, it certainly can't hurt. Yeah, sure. Why not?
    User avatar
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 2138
    Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:28 am
    Location: Middle of Nowhere, Washington


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 am
  • Hawkscanner wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:There's been some talk about a 6 man rotation, what do you all think of that?

    I"m just concerned that if that happens, and you don't have good starters, won't your bullpen be shy since, you need another starter?


    Honestly, I'd say that baseball (as a whole) has been moving in that direction for some time now. It's just that it's taken a long time for a lot of baseball purists (I would lump myself in that category) to get on board with that idea.

    Seriously though, take a look at the pitching landscape in baseball. How many guys threw complete games last year? How about the last few years? How many guys are honestly even going 7 or 8 innings consistently anymore? Even the ones who DO get up into the 7th and 8th inning -- just how effective are they (in general) at that point?

    We are seeing pitchers throwing harder than ever ... and they are basically done after 90-100 pitches (at best) anymore. For me as a long time MLB fan (and a fan of the Mariners), there's a part of me that just flat out makes me sick. Seriously, I remember well the days of Nolan Ryan ... and Randy Johnson (when he was with the M's) regularly being up in that 120-130 pitch range ... and going into the 8th and 9 innings with regularity. You just expected that.

    That's not the case anymore in baseball at all. You are seeing a lot of move towards specialization in pitching. MLB clubs are looking for that hard throwing middle relief guy you can bring in in the 6th or 7th inning that can get you to the 8th or your closer in the 9th. Many clubs are really beefing up their bullpen (ergo, which is why you're seeing JeDi do the exact same thing over the course of these last few days).

    Things are changing ... and I guess I'd just say that the Mariners are pioneering (leading the charge) towards what we are going to eventually be seeing throughout baseball. I expect 6 man rotations to become fairly commonplace in the next 5 years or so.

    And it makes sense -- especially from what we saw from this M's team last year, it makes definite sense. Some day, if someone ever asks you, "What does it look like when a club has great offense, but no pitching?" -- you can honestly say -- "See the 2017 Seattle Mariners." They are the quintessential textbook example of what happens when your pitching goes awry. We'll see if it works. If the powers that be honestly think it might help, I'm game for virtually any kind of innovative idea at this point. With the status of the division and how it looks to be shaping up once again, it certainly can't hurt. Yeah, sure. Why not?

    I mentioned this last year, specifically with Felix. I was thinking I would be fine if he took every 3rd or 4th start off to rest, especially since he basically wasted about a month of his MLB season pitching in the WBC. Don't have to worry about that this year, I guess, but last season he ended up not pitching enough to worry if he was in a 4, 5, or 6 man rotation. It looks very much like he won't be available for much more than 20 starts anyway this year. Problem, of course, is if you expand to 6 starters, you have the risk of having 4 or 5 "back end" starters that could barely give you 6 innings of competitive play.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 am
  • The addition of so many relievers seems to indicate they want to use the pen to supplement starter innings. Ask the back end to go 4-6 innings and let the pen do the rest.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13469
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:59 pm
  • I would like to see rosters expanded to 27 or 28 players myself.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24619
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:53 pm
  • Hawkscanner wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:There's been some talk about a 6 man rotation, what do you all think of that?

    I"m just concerned that if that happens, and you don't have good starters, won't your bullpen be shy since, you need another starter?


    Honestly, I'd say that baseball (as a whole) has been moving in that direction for some time now. It's just that it's taken a long time for a lot of baseball purists (I would lump myself in that category) to get on board with that idea.

    Seriously though, take a look at the pitching landscape in baseball. How many guys threw complete games last year? How about the last few years? How many guys are honestly even going 7 or 8 innings consistently anymore? Even the ones who DO get up into the 7th and 8th inning -- just how effective are they (in general) at that point?

    We are seeing pitchers throwing harder than ever ... and they are basically done after 90-100 pitches (at best) anymore. For me as a long time MLB fan (and a fan of the Mariners), there's a part of me that just flat out makes me sick. Seriously, I remember well the days of Nolan Ryan ... and Randy Johnson (when he was with the M's) regularly being up in that 120-130 pitch range ... and going into the 8th and 9 innings with regularity. You just expected that.

    That's not the case anymore in baseball at all. You are seeing a lot of move towards specialization in pitching. MLB clubs are looking for that hard throwing middle relief guy you can bring in in the 6th or 7th inning that can get you to the 8th or your closer in the 9th. Many clubs are really beefing up their bullpen (ergo, which is why you're seeing JeDi do the exact same thing over the course of these last few days).

    Things are changing ... and I guess I'd just say that the Mariners are pioneering (leading the charge) towards what we are going to eventually be seeing throughout baseball. I expect 6 man rotations to become fairly commonplace in the next 5 years or so.

    And it makes sense -- especially from what we saw from this M's team last year, it makes definite sense. Some day, if someone ever asks you, "What does it look like when a club has great offense, but no pitching?" -- you can honestly say -- "See the 2017 Seattle Mariners." They are the quintessential textbook example of what happens when your pitching goes awry. We'll see if it works. If the powers that be honestly think it might help, I'm game for virtually any kind of innovative idea at this point. With the status of the division and how it looks to be shaping up once again, it certainly can't hurt. Yeah, sure. Why not?

    Good stuff ..I grew up watching Nolan and he was my favorite pitcher.
    He threw so many innings and never got hurt all the way till he did at almost 47 years old!
    I think theres a big mental aspect to pitching a lot of innings that a lot of young pitchers never develop
    or have because there is this "afraid of getting hurt" "be safe" culture.
    Some people are simply not made to pitch body wise but you see at kids games parents want them there
    for some special status reason(s).
    To me a 6 man rotation just doesn't work.
    You are not getting out what you are paying into for one.
    Most pitchers suck after having extended time off and still get hurt.
    A arm needs a balance beween too little and too much time between starts to stay conditioned.
    There is the mental part as well for most never have been in a 6 man rotation.
    Why even use it when a guy is going 6 innings max?You barely sweat doing that.
    All these changes in sports to make everything easier and todays players are better?
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3882
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:22 am
  • Yes I believe David cone in game 5 vs our M's, cone was at 148 pitches.

    The M's need another solid starting pitcher IMO.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1037
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 am
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Yes I believe David cone in game 5 vs our M's, cone was at 148 pitches.

    The M's need another solid starting pitcher IMO.

    Cone pretty much blew his arm out in that game too.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24619
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 am
  • You know, there is another way to go about this..Instead of a 6 man rotation, you limit your starters to 2 times through the rotation.. the at bats of opposing hitters.

    Just thinking cause, unless your a very good pitcher, the 3rd time through the rotation, the pitchers seem to get shelled. So just let them go twice and bring in your relievers, that should not only cut down the innings, but help keep you out of the troublesome 3rd time through the rotation as well. Of course, you will need a lot of reliever, perhaps we can go with a 4 man rotation and have lots of relievers. :)
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:06 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:You know, there is another way to go about this..Instead of a 6 man rotation, you limit your starters to 2 times through the rotation.. the at bats of opposing hitters.

    Just thinking cause, unless your a very good pitcher, the 3rd time through the rotation, the pitchers seem to get shelled. So just let them go twice and bring in your relievers, that should not only cut down the innings, but help keep you out of the troublesome 3rd time through the rotation as well. Of course, you will need a lot of reliever, perhaps we can go with a 4 man rotation and have lots of relievers. :)


    That seems to be the plan given how they are loading up on relievers
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13469
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:28 pm
  • I do agree that a pitcher that is average or below usually will get rocked the third time around.
    I recall Tampa Bay's ex manager one year using a reliever's a lot after 3-4 innings and they still had a winning record.
    I think Price was one of the reliever's ..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3882
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:Yes I believe David cone in game 5 vs our M's, cone was at 148 pitches.

    The M's need another solid starting pitcher IMO.

    Cone pretty much blew his arm out in that game too.



    Yep. Damn what a pitcher tho.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1037
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 pm
  • Dipoto feels James Paxton, Felix Hernandez. Mike Leake and Erasmo Ramirez are a solid top four, with Ariel Miranda, Marco Gonzales and Andrew Moore competing for the fifth spot. https://amp.mlb.com/263550952-mariners- ... ssion=true

    The rotation is no better than last season and WHEN Paxton and Felix (what's left of him) end up on the DL, their #1 will be Leake or Erasmo Ramirez.

    The Cleveland Browns of baseball.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1256
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:16 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:Yes I believe David cone in game 5 vs our M's, cone was at 148 pitches.

    The M's need another solid starting pitcher IMO.

    Cone pretty much blew his arm out in that game too.



    Yep. Damn what a pitcher tho.

    Yep, dude was a warrior.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24619
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:36 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:You know, there is another way to go about this..Instead of a 6 man rotation, you limit your starters to 2 times through the rotation.. the at bats of opposing hitters.

    Just thinking cause, unless your a very good pitcher, the 3rd time through the rotation, the pitchers seem to get shelled. So just let them go twice and bring in your relievers, that should not only cut down the innings, but help keep you out of the troublesome 3rd time through the rotation as well. Of course, you will need a lot of reliever, perhaps we can go with a 4 man rotation and have lots of relievers. :)

    Sure, works great...until your starter goes through the rotation (batting order, actually) twice by the 3rd inning. If that happens too much, we'd need a 12 man bullpen, and would only have 8 position players on the roster. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:You know, there is another way to go about this..Instead of a 6 man rotation, you limit your starters to 2 times through the rotation.. the at bats of opposing hitters.

    Just thinking cause, unless your a very good pitcher, the 3rd time through the rotation, the pitchers seem to get shelled. So just let them go twice and bring in your relievers, that should not only cut down the innings, but help keep you out of the troublesome 3rd time through the rotation as well. Of course, you will need a lot of reliever, perhaps we can go with a 4 man rotation and have lots of relievers. :)

    Sure, works great...until your starter goes through the rotation (batting order, actually) twice by the 3rd inning. If that happens too much, we'd need a 12 man bullpen, and would only have 8 position players on the roster. ;)


    Thats why it was so important to get that Japanese fella. :)
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Hawkscanner wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:There's been some talk about a 6 man rotation, what do you all think of that?

    I"m just concerned that if that happens, and you don't have good starters, won't your bullpen be shy since, you need another starter?


    Honestly, I'd say that baseball (as a whole) has been moving in that direction for some time now. It's just that it's taken a long time for a lot of baseball purists (I would lump myself in that category) to get on board with that idea.

    Seriously though, take a look at the pitching landscape in baseball. How many guys threw complete games last year? How about the last few years? How many guys are honestly even going 7 or 8 innings consistently anymore? Even the ones who DO get up into the 7th and 8th inning -- just how effective are they (in general) at that point?

    We are seeing pitchers throwing harder than ever ... and they are basically done after 90-100 pitches (at best) anymore. For me as a long time MLB fan (and a fan of the Mariners), there's a part of me that just flat out makes me sick. Seriously, I remember well the days of Nolan Ryan ... and Randy Johnson (when he was with the M's) regularly being up in that 120-130 pitch range ... and going into the 8th and 9 innings with regularity. You just expected that.

    That's not the case anymore in baseball at all. You are seeing a lot of move towards specialization in pitching. MLB clubs are looking for that hard throwing middle relief guy you can bring in in the 6th or 7th inning that can get you to the 8th or your closer in the 9th. Many clubs are really beefing up their bullpen (ergo, which is why you're seeing JeDi do the exact same thing over the course of these last few days).

    Things are changing ... and I guess I'd just say that the Mariners are pioneering (leading the charge) towards what we are going to eventually be seeing throughout baseball. I expect 6 man rotations to become fairly commonplace in the next 5 years or so.

    And it makes sense -- especially from what we saw from this M's team last year, it makes definite sense. Some day, if someone ever asks you, "What does it look like when a club has great offense, but no pitching?" -- you can honestly say -- "See the 2017 Seattle Mariners." They are the quintessential textbook example of what happens when your pitching goes awry. We'll see if it works. If the powers that be honestly think it might help, I'm game for virtually any kind of innovative idea at this point. With the status of the division and how it looks to be shaping up once again, it certainly can't hurt. Yeah, sure. Why not?

    I mentioned this last year, specifically with Felix. I was thinking I would be fine if he took every 3rd or 4th start off to rest, especially since he basically wasted about a month of his MLB season pitching in the WBC. Don't have to worry about that this year, I guess, but last season he ended up not pitching enough to worry if he was in a 4, 5, or 6 man rotation. It looks very much like he won't be available for much more than 20 starts anyway this year. Problem, of course, is if you expand to 6 starters, you have the risk of having 4 or 5 "back end" starters that could barely give you 6 innings of competitive play.



    I don't know, there is so many variables to think about.

    I just don't like the idea of diluting the starters even more so, gads.
    I"d like to see us have 2 closers.. 1 closer for the end of the game a 2nd closer, not for game end, but more a "rally" killer, who can come in during the middle of the game and stop the rally, when the opposition has put together several hits and are on verge of getting the go ahead run home. I don't know why clubs haven't implemented something like that. There is always it seems at one point where the oppo will string together several hits.

    Just a thought.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:19 am
  • massari wrote:Dipoto feels James Paxton, Felix Hernandez. Mike Leake and Erasmo Ramirez are a solid top four, with Ariel Miranda, Marco Gonzales and Andrew Moore competing for the fifth spot. https://amp.mlb.com/263550952-mariners- ... ssion=true

    The rotation is no better than last season and WHEN Paxton and Felix (what's left of him) end up on the DL, their #1 will be Leake or Erasmo Ramirez.

    The Cleveland Browns of baseball.


    0-162? That would be something.

    They will go in for one of the 2nd tier free agent pitchers and shove one (if it two) of the current back end guys to the bull pen
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13469
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4590
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

    20th round pick that hits for average, with very little pop. Never heard of him before today.
    Looks like the performance enhancing drugs failed him.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24619
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:16 pm
  • https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ke-zunino/

    Mariners avoid arbitration with five eligible players, including James Paxton and Mike Zunino

    The Mariners avoided arbitration hearings for their five remaining eligible players this offseason prior to Friday’s 10 a.m. deadline. Pitchers James Paxton, David Phelps, Nick Vincent and Erasmo Ramirez and catcher Mike Zunino all agreed to one-year contracts. Per club policy, the team did not disclose the contract figures.

    However reports and sources have leaked some of the contract information.

    Sources said that Paxton, who is in his second year of arbitration eligibility, will receive $4.9 million in 2018, an expected bump up from the $2.35 million he made in 2017. The big lefty posted a 12-5 record with a 2.98 ERA in 24 starts and was named the Mariners’ Pitcher of the Year by Seattle chapter of Baseball Writers Association of America. He set career bests in wins (12), starts (24), innings (136), strikeouts (156) and ERA (2.98), despite going the disabled list twice for a strained forearm in May and a strained pectoral muscle in August.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:35 pm
  • I have dreams of playoffs and the stadium full. Digh
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1037
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 am
  • It's crazy that pitchers and catchers report in less than a month! I'm pumped! I know the current rotation is leaving a lot to be desired, but I have high hopes for this year.
    User avatar
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1310
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:It's crazy that pitchers and catchers report in less than a month! I'm pumped! I know the current rotation is leaving a lot to be desired, but I have high hopes for this year.

    The off season isn't over yet. ;) Maybe, with no WBC, our pitchers will come in fresh and able to work up to being in the starting rotation without pitching competitively prior to the season. Perhaps the injury bug will be less harsh this year.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 am
  • sutz wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:It's crazy that pitchers and catchers report in less than a month! I'm pumped! I know the current rotation is leaving a lot to be desired, but I have high hopes for this year.

    The off season isn't over yet. ;) Maybe, with no WBC, our pitchers will come in fresh and able to work up to being in the starting rotation without pitching competitively prior to the season. Perhaps the injury bug will be less harsh this year.

    Great point! Let's hope so. I just can't get over the Smyly ordeal. I still think DiPoto should've signed him. The Cubs got him on a decent contract. Coming off TJ injury is a big deal, but he's worth the risk of a small contract, IMO. I mean come on! He was their prized acquisition last off-season.
    User avatar
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1310
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm
  • Thepeelsessions wrote:It's crazy that pitchers and catchers report in less than a month! I'm pumped! I know the current rotation is leaving a lot to be desired, but I have high hopes for this year.


    I feel the same way, yet, I look at what some other teams are doing and it just boggles my mind that they can afford these players. I know, we gotta see it on the field but, still. We really haven't done a bloody thing with our rotation.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm
  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4590
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm
  • Go Edgar! He deserves HOF.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1037
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:49 pm
  • Edgar came 12 votes short of making it into the hall of fame. So Mariner like.

    There's always next year! (The Mariner motto)
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    User avatar
    Msfann
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1903
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:37 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

    LOL yep that about says it all. :34853_doh:
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    User avatar
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1071
    Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 am
    Location: Redmond Washington


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 am
  • Soooo the rotation is Paxton, Felix, Leake, Miranda, Gonzalez/Erasmo????

    Ughhh Cleveland Browns of baseball is right.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm
  • Just an update on the M's batting order from the Times.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... t-of-runs/

    Looking for the strength of the Mariners as they head into the 2018 season, manager Scott Servais believes it's a deeper, more athletic lineup that is capable of scoring bunches of runs.

    For fans who love to inspect, dissect and then project what the Mariners’ starting lineup and daily batting order should be, the 2018 season might bring a higher level of enjoyment than in past years.

    Unlike in seasons past when the lineup resembled a lumbering slow-pitch softball team with a bunch of all-or-nothing elephants swinging for the fences or a punchless group that lacked power with an alarmingly high strike-out rate, this current team might have one of the most versatile, balanced and deep lineups to be written on Seattle’s daily lineup card in quite a while.

    --snip--

    Let’s give it a shot:

    1. Dee Gordon, CF
    2. Jean Segura, SS
    3. Robinson Cano, 2B
    4. Nelson Cruz, DH
    5. Kyle Seager, 3B
    6. Ryon Healy, 1B
    7. Mike Zunino, C
    8. Mitch Haniger, RF
    9. Ben Gamel/Guillermo Heredia LF


    Under the concept that they did fairly well when they scored 4 or more runs per game, boosting the offensive output should help.

    Still fighting that same lineup of pitchers, though and that could be a problem.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:39 pm
  • sutz wrote:Just an update on the M's batting order from the Times.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... t-of-runs/

    Looking for the strength of the Mariners as they head into the 2018 season, manager Scott Servais believes it's a deeper, more athletic lineup that is capable of scoring bunches of runs.

    For fans who love to inspect, dissect and then project what the Mariners’ starting lineup and daily batting order should be, the 2018 season might bring a higher level of enjoyment than in past years.

    Unlike in seasons past when the lineup resembled a lumbering slow-pitch softball team with a bunch of all-or-nothing elephants swinging for the fences or a punchless group that lacked power with an alarmingly high strike-out rate, this current team might have one of the most versatile, balanced and deep lineups to be written on Seattle’s daily lineup card in quite a while.

    --snip--

    Let’s give it a shot:

    1. Dee Gordon, CF
    2. Jean Segura, SS
    3. Robinson Cano, 2B
    4. Nelson Cruz, DH
    5. Kyle Seager, 3B
    6. Ryon Healy, 1B
    7. Mike Zunino, C
    8. Mitch Haniger, RF
    9. Ben Gamel/Guillermo Heredia LF


    Under the concept that they did fairly well when they scored 4 or more runs per game, boosting the offensive output should help.

    Still fighting that same lineup of pitchers, though and that could be a problem.


    We shouldn't have any problems scoring, just hope Seager turns it around.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2307
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    sutz wrote:Just an update on the M's batting order from the Times.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... t-of-runs/

    Looking for the strength of the Mariners as they head into the 2018 season, manager Scott Servais believes it's a deeper, more athletic lineup that is capable of scoring bunches of runs.

    For fans who love to inspect, dissect and then project what the Mariners’ starting lineup and daily batting order should be, the 2018 season might bring a higher level of enjoyment than in past years.

    Unlike in seasons past when the lineup resembled a lumbering slow-pitch softball team with a bunch of all-or-nothing elephants swinging for the fences or a punchless group that lacked power with an alarmingly high strike-out rate, this current team might have one of the most versatile, balanced and deep lineups to be written on Seattle’s daily lineup card in quite a while.

    --snip--

    Let’s give it a shot:

    1. Dee Gordon, CF
    2. Jean Segura, SS
    3. Robinson Cano, 2B
    4. Nelson Cruz, DH
    5. Kyle Seager, 3B
    6. Ryon Healy, 1B
    7. Mike Zunino, C
    8. Mitch Haniger, RF
    9. Ben Gamel/Guillermo Heredia LF


    Under the concept that they did fairly well when they scored 4 or more runs per game, boosting the offensive output should help.

    Still fighting that same lineup of pitchers, though and that could be a problem.


    We shouldn't have any problems scoring, just hope Seager turns it around.

    Looks like they're working on it, and maybe the lineup will help him out.

    Seager’s season — a .251 batting average, a .773 OPS, 33 doubles, 27 homers and 88 RBI — is something most players would cherish. But to him, it wasn’t good enough.

    “It had its ups and downs,” he said. “Offensively it wasn’t as good. I never really got into a good rhythm that I usually have. I felt like I was battling my swing all year. I hold myself to a higher standard.”

    Servais expects Seager to come in quite motivated following last season.


    “I think he was a little disappointed,” Servais said. “We talked to Kyle a lot this off-season, he is determined to get back and to get back on top of his game. It wasn’t a typical Kyle Seager year and we all want to see it back, again nobody more than himself and he’s working his tail off to make sure that happens.”

    The biggest separator in the Mariners’ offensive success from good to great could be the hitters following Seager. All of them are relatively young and have shown the potential to be contributors,

    Healy, Haniger, Zunino and the combination of Gamel and Heredia have had stretches of success in their brief careers. But will it continue?

    Hopefully, this gets better. The last few years it has seemed we had the big three, and a bunch of guys hovering around the Mendoza line. With more average ML hitters on the roster, the big 3 get even more effective. The speed on the bases looks like fun stuff too.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17491
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 pm


  • Pitchers and catchers report to Mariners Spring Training this week, and there will be some key players missing: Specifically, all the free agent starters still available that the M’s refuse to sign!

    And while I hope their projected starting rotation works out, it’s not hard to understand why so many fans are skeptical that it will.

    Let’s take a look: By my count, right now, the Mariners have one to two potential aces in this group – James Paxton and Felix Hernandez. They’re followed by Mike Leake, Erasmo Ramirez, Marco Gonzales, with Ariel Miranda and Andrew Moore waiting in the wings. Young, talented guys who have potential no-doubt.

    But “potential” doesn’t fly here anymore. “Potential” wore out its welcome five, ten years ago. And whether general manager Jerry Dipoto wants to acknowledge that, he’s not getting a pass from most fans, when there’s a wealth of starting pitching talent still available on the free agent market.

    Sure, Yu Darvish just signed a massive deal with the Cubs. But there are a number of pitchers still available, from Jake Arrieta to Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, still seeking deals with new teams. And frankly, the lack of interest from a Mariners team that says it’s planning on contending this season is downright maddening.


    Again, here’s what Dipoto had to say about their decision to stick with who they’ve got:
    “We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it,” Dipoto said. “Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would that be the best thing for the wider lens – for the present and future – of the Mariners? Probably not.”


    :34853_doh:

    http://q13fox.com/2018/02/11/commentary ... ce=twitter
    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4590
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

    Pitchers and catchers report to Mariners Spring Training this week, and there will be some key players missing: Specifically, all the free agent starters still available that the M’s refuse to sign!

    And while I hope their projected starting rotation works out, it’s not hard to understand why so many fans are skeptical that it will.

    Let’s take a look: By my count, right now, the Mariners have one to two potential aces in this group – James Paxton and Felix Hernandez. They’re followed by Mike Leake, Erasmo Ramirez, Marco Gonzales, with Ariel Miranda and Andrew Moore waiting in the wings. Young, talented guys who have potential no-doubt.

    But “potential” doesn’t fly here anymore. “Potential” wore out its welcome five, ten years ago. And whether general manager Jerry Dipoto wants to acknowledge that, he’s not getting a pass from most fans, when there’s a wealth of starting pitching talent still available on the free agent market.

    Sure, Yu Darvish just signed a massive deal with the Cubs. But there are a number of pitchers still available, from Jake Arrieta to Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, still seeking deals with new teams. And frankly, the lack of interest from a Mariners team that says it’s planning on contending this season is downright maddening.


    Again, here’s what Dipoto had to say about their decision to stick with who they’ve got:
    “We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it,” Dipoto said. “Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would that be the best thing for the wider lens – for the present and future – of the Mariners? Probably not.”


    :34853_doh:

    http://q13fox.com/2018/02/11/commentary ... ce=twitter

    This is why they're a AAAA team. I'll support them because I'm a fan, but I've given up having any expectations for them. My boys are freshmen in high school and the Mariners have never been in the playoffs as long as they've been alive. But hey, maybe there will be a bobble head of a 1995 player this year
    dadof3
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 183
    Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 am


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm
  • dadof3 wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

    Pitchers and catchers report to Mariners Spring Training this week, and there will be some key players missing: Specifically, all the free agent starters still available that the M’s refuse to sign!

    And while I hope their projected starting rotation works out, it’s not hard to understand why so many fans are skeptical that it will.

    Let’s take a look: By my count, right now, the Mariners have one to two potential aces in this group – James Paxton and Felix Hernandez. They’re followed by Mike Leake, Erasmo Ramirez, Marco Gonzales, with Ariel Miranda and Andrew Moore waiting in the wings. Young, talented guys who have potential no-doubt.

    But “potential” doesn’t fly here anymore. “Potential” wore out its welcome five, ten years ago. And whether general manager Jerry Dipoto wants to acknowledge that, he’s not getting a pass from most fans, when there’s a wealth of starting pitching talent still available on the free agent market.

    Sure, Yu Darvish just signed a massive deal with the Cubs. But there are a number of pitchers still available, from Jake Arrieta to Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, still seeking deals with new teams. And frankly, the lack of interest from a Mariners team that says it’s planning on contending this season is downright maddening.


    Again, here’s what Dipoto had to say about their decision to stick with who they’ve got:
    “We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it,” Dipoto said. “Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would that be the best thing for the wider lens – for the present and future – of the Mariners? Probably not.”


    :34853_doh:

    http://q13fox.com/2018/02/11/commentary ... ce=twitter

    This is why they're a AAAA team. I'll support them because I'm a fan, but I've given up having any expectations for them. My boys are freshmen in high school and the Mariners have never been in the playoffs as long as they've been alive. But hey, maybe there will be a bobble head of a 1995 player this year

    Don’t have any kids but nephew is a sophomore in Highschool and he’s never seen a mariners playoff game. Luckily for him the Hawks have played in 3 superbowls in his lifetime.
    I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve always loved the game of baseball, even when the ownership is Gawd awful.

    Aaron Levine is the man though, he’s not afraid to call out the local teams when they are lackluster and don’t have a commitment to winning, and conversely praise them when they make the right and proper moves to win it all.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24619
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: M's Off season, 2017-2018
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 am
  • With Cano now 35, 36 in October does anyone think the signing was a bust, especially now he's probably on the decline and they still need to pay him?

    I think he's a great player but given the amount of salary he gets we've no play off appearances to show for it. I wonder at points if his ridiculous salary could have been spent on other parts of the team to get us over the hump such as pitching last year or paying a few more hitters like Trumbo for his bats?

    I think he's been good for the Mariners but the money spent looks a bit silly, for what was paid I would have thought he would have inspired the Mariners on to the play offs and put the club on his back.

    I feel like Cruz has been the better signing overall.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1182
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online