M's Off season, 2017-2018

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Josea16":ozbmiv6o said:
Who is this guy? Is he big power hitter or something? What's his comp player? Sounds like a punk diva like the Manning brothers in the NFL. He better be at least as good as as Peyton (surefire HOF type) in my opinion.

Punk diva? Do some homework, son. The guy is foregoing multiple millions to come over and play. If he waited two more years then he would get a healthy contract. He wants to play and prove himself and doesn't want a bog market club. Definitely not diva behavior.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Texas about 3 million in Int spending
Mariners 2.5m
Angels 2.1m
Padres.. 300k.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Bobblehead":33hs36b0 said:
Texas about 3 million in Int spending
Mariners 2.5m
Angels 2.1m
Padres.. 300k.
The moves yesterday by the Mariners and Angels scares me a bit (along with the Padres sitting still). I heard he has a previous relationship with the Padres going back to his HS days and them not moving to get more $ like everyone else makes them seem very confident... Also Otani has said in the past that $ wasn't much of a factor in his decision.

To be fair the Rangers have also been said to have been talking to him since he was in HS too.

The plot thickens...

:snack:

DJrmb

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/938889562482454528[/tweet]

Interesting. Reports are he'll play CF...

I wonder if this is actually part of something else though? Moving someone else? Flipping him?

Update:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/938898307631452160[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TaylorBlakeWard/status/938898565174140928[/tweet]

gowazzu02

Reaction score
DJrmb":1d3gv67p said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/938889562482454528[/tweet]

Interesting. Reports are he'll play CF...

I wonder if this is actually part of something else though? Moving someone else? Flipping him?

Update:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/938898307631452160[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TaylorBlakeWard/status/938898565174140928[/tweet]

Interesting, since we met with Ohtani face to face we've done two trades to add 2 mill more int pool signinig money.

Are we feeling we're behind and need to throw money at him, or are we just tying up loose ends???

Man really hope he chooses Seattle.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I read also where as everyone went to meet him, he actually went to San Deigo in person for a one on one.. well OK I"m not sure he went to San Deigo, but unlike the rest, he had a one on one meeting with the team.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2yqp0458 said:
I read also where as everyone went to meet him, he actually went to San Deigo in person for a one on one.. well OK I"m not sure he went to San Deigo, but unlike the rest, he had a one on one meeting with the team.

Wait... maybe I'm totally off base, but I'm pretty sure every team met with him "one on one" I mean would it really make sense for all the other teams to be there while each team takes turns pitching to him?..I mean it's not a court room.

getnasty

Reaction score
Dipoto is growing on me, he's sure not afraid to make moves.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":27f4puod said:
Bobblehead":27f4puod said:

Wait... maybe I'm totally off base, but I'm pretty sure every team met with him "one on one" I mean would it really make sense for all the other teams to be there while each team takes turns pitching to him?..I mean it's not a court room.

Yeah, I"m sure they did.. which is why him going to SD makes sense as being telling.. a undisclosed meeting if you will.

massari

Reaction score
If they don't end up with Ohtani, it'll be an epic failure at this point considering all the prospects they've given away from an already depleted farm system.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
massari":2v328fro said:
If they don't end up with Ohtani, it'll be an epic failure at this point considering all the prospects they've given away from an already depleted farm system.

If we don't get him and don't put the international money to good use, honestly I think it's a fireable offense for all of them, mainly DiDummy

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ms favorites to sign him. Wow. Exciting but a big question mark. We are really going to have him DH and pitch every 5th day? So that means Cruz back in the outfield? Uhh

massari

Reaction score
Crizilla":251d27fz said:
Ms favorites to sign him. Wow. Exciting but a big question mark. We are really going to have him DH and pitch every 5th day? So that means Cruz back in the outfield? Uhh
Apparently Ohtani can play OF and is willing to learn 1B. If he can pull that off, his versatility could be invaluable, if DH'ing and pitching weren't enough already.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":1wf0b56d said:
Crizilla":1wf0b56d said:
Apparently Ohtani can play OF and is willing to learn 1B. If he can pull that off, his versatility could be invaluable, if DH'ing and pitching weren't enough already.
1st base is an easy position to learn. If he can hit AND pitch (which he can) that frees up another roster spot.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1x8q86ry said:
massari":1x8q86ry said:
Crizilla":1x8q86ry said:
1st base is an easy position to learn. If he can hit AND pitch (which he can) that frees up another roster spot.

Didn’t the M’s make a trade for a player they project as an everyday first baseman? I don’t think it makes much sense to project Shohei at 1B.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ya he's not going to first base. Ms are seriously going to try and make him the best hitter/pitcher since Babe Ruth.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
How about RF?
Isn't he touted as one of the great fielders with an arm better than Iciro's?
I thought I had read that somewhere.
Guess you don't want to wear him out though

Josea16

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":mhmnxezb said:
Josea16":mhmnxezb said:
Who is this guy? Is he big power hitter or something? What's his comp player? Sounds like a punk diva like the Manning brothers in the NFL. He better be at least as good as as Peyton (surefire HOF type) in my opinion.

Punk diva? Do some homework, son. The guy is foregoing multiple millions to come over and play. If he waited two more years then he would get a healthy contract. He wants to play and prove himself and doesn't want a bog market club. Definitely not diva behavior.
So I did research as you asked because I knew nothing about him. I basically see he's Babe Ruth an elite pitcher and power hitter. Are they actually insane enough to expect him to be a two way player with the modern 162 game schedule? JPL is only 120 games with 6 man pitching rotations.

Josea16

Reaction score
SeatownJay":id6d7gkw said:
There are seven teams still in the running. The Angels, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners, Padres, and Rangers.
No damn way the Angels, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants are in under his requirements. It's between Oakland, San Diego, Seattle and Texas maybe. Mariners give him the most money given ISM and no state tax.....plot thickens.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Josea16":1nh5tocx said:
TransGenderHawkFan":1nh5tocx said:
Josea16":1nh5tocx said:

So I did research as you asked because I knew nothing about him. I basically see he's Babe Ruth an elite pitcher and power hitter. Are they actually insane enough to expect him to be a two way player with the modern 162 game schedule? JPL is only 120 games with 6 man pitching rotations.
He’ll require more days off being a “2 way player”. Don’t be surprised if the M’s do use a 6 man rotation at times if they get him.