Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • "We have a pretty good idea of what we want to do, but a lot of it is going to be dictated by where we are in the standings,'' Dipoto told ESPN.com. "As versatile and athletic as Dee is, it's not that easy to go play center field for a month-and-a-half and then say, 'Oh, by the way, you're going to go play second base in the biggest game of your career when you just haven't been out there.' It's going to take some juggling and we'll have to figure out a way.

"That could allow for a time-share, so to speak, where we keep everybody sharp. But we do know Dee is going to have to play second base as we come down the stretch. Because if we want to be in the postseason -- which we do -- then we know who our second baseman is going to be. And it's going to be Dee Gordon.''

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2376 ... man-return
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• It just continues. This is really fun.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:The start before this one was 8 innings, 1 ER and 5K.

Maybe the reality is in between... Hernandez is a back of rotation guy, not front end.

So hes good once every 8 starts. Awesome. Felix represents everything bad about the mariners, they only kept him to sell tickets. They could have gotten a ton in return if they just traded him 5-6 years ago, but instead they wanted to have "kings court," every 5 games.

He's actually pretty solid about every 3rd start (rough string in May). Pretty much sits in a 5-6 innings pitched frame and 3-4 runs. About 4/5 starter quality.

http://m.mlb.com/player/433587/felix-hernandez?year=2018&stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb

stats help...

Why would the Mariners have traded their best player 5-6 years ago? You think it was for marketing purposes? Perhaps it was because... well he was really good.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Yeah, trading Felix would have been beyond stupid at the time. Just because he's not the pitcher he once was, you can't just magically act like they "should have known" way back. It doesn't work that way.
    On another M's note, this team is just clearly different. You don't win 21 one run games, let alone all the comebacks w/out having something special going on. Also, and it's really clear to me.....they look like they are having fun out there. There's something to be said about a team that is that focused, doesn't panic and knows how to win close games.
    This will be VERY helpful if they make the playoffs.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:The start before this one was 8 innings, 1 ER and 5K.

Maybe the reality is in between... Hernandez is a back of rotation guy, not front end.

So hes good once every 8 starts. Awesome. Felix represents everything bad about the mariners, they only kept him to sell tickets. They could have gotten a ton in return if they just traded him 5-6 years ago, but instead they wanted to have "kings court," every 5 games.

Or maybe they wanted to have one of the most dominant pitchers in the league every 5 games.

4/5/6 years ago Felix was the best player on this team and one of the best pitchers in MLB.

And I'm not sure why you would begrudge the Mariners for trying to get fans in the stands. You understand that it's a for profit business right? Don't you think it's possible that having a Cy Young caliber pitcher not only sells tickets but also helps to give the team a chance to win?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I'm loving what's happening so far this season.

3 things worry me though.

When Cano's suspension is over, do you bring him back in? Do you mess with team chemistry or move Gordon back to CF? Especially if Cano can't play in the play offs and they have to readjust the team again. He may also be super rusty.

Should we make the play offs...do you play Felix? I know the big knock on him is he has never played a play off game...but if its a 1 game wild card its surely got to be Paxton right? If its the divisional round do you even play him? Your paying the guy 20 odd million. Given they had Felix start opening day, my fear is he would be given the start in those games out of loyalty despite him not earning it this year.

Is anyone terrified Paxton will get hurt? He's been fairly injury prone in the past but so far so good this year. Starting pitching outwith Felix has been solid but I feel his would be one injury that could mess everything up.

Regardless, if we take this series against the Angels we are looking good. Boston and NY will be tough but considering I was dreading June, we are looking legit.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent makes a good point, suck it bitches. Doesn't matter HOW it looks, you either win or lose.
    Love, Ron Fairley
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Pretty fair breakdown............not sure how we're doing it, but we are so suck it bitches!

https://deadspin.com/the-mariners-cant- ... 1826761204

LOL, well played sir, well played! :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I'm loving what's happening so far this season.

3 things worry me though.

When Cano's suspension is over, do you bring him back in? Do you mess with team chemistry or move Gordon back to CF? Especially if Cano can't play in the play offs and they have to readjust the team again. He may also be super rusty.

Should we make the play offs...do you play Felix? I know the big knock on him is he has never played a play off game...but if its a 1 game wild card its surely got to be Paxton right? If its the divisional round do you even play him? Your paying the guy 20 odd million. Given they had Felix start opening day, my fear is he would be given the start in those games out of loyalty despite him not earning it this year.

Is anyone terrified Paxton will get hurt? He's been fairly injury prone in the past but so far so good this year. Starting pitching outwith Felix has been solid but I feel his would be one injury that could mess everything up.

Regardless, if we take this series against the Angels we are looking good. Boston and NY will be tough but considering I was dreading June, we are looking legit.

I've also been thinking about what happens when Cano comes back. Not being able to play at all in the post season really throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing. Because of that they can't just move Dee Gordon back to CF and let Cano be the everyday 2nd baseman (which Dipoto has recently come out and admitted). You need to keep Gordon fresh and used to playing 2nd base on a daily bases as well as continuing the continuity between him and the other infielders.

With that said I don't think they'll be able to afford to simply not play Cano either. I think his bat is going to be a big contributor down the stretch and adding him back in for the last month+ before the post season could be the difference between a wild card spot and actually winning the division (giving yourself a better chance at going deeper in the playoffs). The trick is going to be getting him in the order enough to get his bat going but also not sitting anyone else so much that they are rusty come playoff time.

If Healy continues to struggle that to me is the most obvious place to get Cano some playing time. Gordon will likely play 2nd base 3 out of 5 times during the week and give Cano 2 days at 2nd per week. Those other 3 games I'm thinking you alternate between DH and 1st. You want to be careful with DH because you don't want to take Cruz out of the lineup that much every week but giving him a day every now and then could also help to keep him fresh for longer. I think at this point I would have Cano play 2 of those 3 games he's not at 2nd base at 1st relieving Healy, and then the 3rd game he'd alternate weeks playing DH one week and then just getting the day off the next.

The other huge factor that could completely change things over the next month before Cano returns is injury. Obviously if someone like Gordon or Cruz goes down well then you have a spot right there to play Cano daily. I hope that doesn't happen though because I'd love to see what this offense can do with a long stretch of having Cruz, Cano, and Gordon all in the lineup together.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Largent makes a good point, suck it bitches. Doesn't matter HOW it looks, you either win or lose.
    Love, Ron Fairley

Hell yeah........and that's the beauty of sports. It's so much more than just talent, it's chemistry, it's coaching, it's luck, it's overcoming adversity.

The M's right now have a roster full of guys who love the game, are busting their asses, having fun................ and are playing to the best of their collective ability.

Will it last? Idk, but like I said, who cares, enjoy the ride. We certainly deserve it.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Fans have been waiting 17 years for them to get back to the playoffs. Holy hell it's gonna' be an exciting run.
    Winning 21 games by a single run is not a coincidence.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I'm loving what's happening so far this season.

Should we make the play offs...do you play Felix? I know the big knock on him is he has never played a play off game...but if its a 1 game wild card its surely got to be Paxton right? If its the divisional round do you even play him? Your paying the guy 20 odd million. Given they had Felix start opening day, my fear is he would be given the start in those games out of loyalty despite him not earning it.

If we make the wildcard 1 game playoff, you can pretty much bet it would NOT be Felix taking the mound. If Paxton is healthy, putting anyone other than him out there would be asinine.
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• I think Facebook games are dumb. (Wed 1pm on Facebook) smh
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• WOW! What a throw and a Great "spinning backfist" tag by Segura! Maybe if Valbuena would have busted it out of the box instead of taking the time to do that dumb little bat flip he would have made it. Serves him right! Hahaha

Edit: Who the hell bat flips after a single??? What a loser...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:WOW! What a throw and a Great "spinning backfist" tag by Segura! Maybe if Valbuena would have busted it out of the box instead of taking the time to do that dumb little bat flip he would have made it. Serves him right! Hahaha

Edit: Who the hell bat flips after a single??? What a loser...

In all fairness, it should have been a double. But he's not that fast, and taking that extra half second for the ba flip was kind of silly. Hanny has saved any number of runs this year. The league is learning not to challenge him.

Angels are getting desperate. We have a good shot at winning this series tonight. Loving it.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Baseball 101--never walk the guy in front of Trout. :34853_doh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Baseball 101--never walk the guy in front of Trout. :34853_doh:

Or throw a fastball belt high in the middle of the plate to Trout.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• Sucks to walk, but sucks worse to give up homers.. just walk the guy.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:Baseball 101--never walk the guy in front of Trout. :34853_doh:

Baseball 101, stop pitching to Trout!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He’s the only guy on that team in that current lineup that can hurt you consistently, and you keep pitching to him.
    Walk him, hit him, catcher inference him to first, I don’t care JUST STOP PITCHING TO HIM, LOL.

Pull the old Sparky Anderson move against superstar hitters. Tell em, “son, you ain’t hittin’ this series, enjoy first base!

Full disclosure: I respect the hell out of Mike Trout, he plays the game the right way and is a great guy, and he is DAMN good!
    ...but you don’t have to pitch to him. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I see the Angels learned fast.. Walks Hani with 4 pitches.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• damn.. now Diaz has to face Trout.. walk him Diaz, just walk him
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Colome channeling his inner Rodney. But he gets the flyout finally. :180670:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Gamel is so hot right now.

Shanegotyou11 wrote:I think Facebook games are dumb. (Wed 1pm on Facebook) smh

Don't succumb and make an account to watch it. Find a stream elsewhere. Facebook is just trying to get everyone back after they were caught doing shady stuff. Not cool.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Gamel is so hot right now.

Don't succumb and make an account to watch it. Find a stream elsewhere. Facebook is just trying to get everyone back after they were caught doing shady stuff. Not cool.

good call.. :(
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Diaz fanning Trout to get the save, perfect.

Haniger and Healy with 2 HRs each. Fantastic game for another series win!
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Crizilla wrote:Gamel is so hot right now.

Even before this whole thing face book was starting to die and go the way of myspace anyways.... just be gone already
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:Diaz fanning Trout to get the save, perfect.

Haniger and Healy with 2 HRs each. Fantastic game for another series win!

Even Trout can't reach his slider after all that high heat. :2thumbs:

Liking the return of Dee Gordon, too. He's been sleepwalking for a week or so. Single, advance to 2d on a little league error by the Angels, score on a Segura double. That's what he's supposed to do.

That Hanny to Segura putout at 2d base will be on the highlight reels for a while.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Another great game, starting to distance ourselves from the Angels. I know they are missing Othani and Simmons, but their lineup is not impressive. We need to pitch around Trout and pitch to the other guys. Could not believe Cook actually gave him a pitch he could hit after what he has done to us.

Hypothetically, if we were up only one with two outs going into the last inning and they had a runner on first, I'd think about walking Trout and moving the runner into scoring position.

This entire rotation has been nothing short of spectacular, expect for Felix. I know people say we don't have a better option to replace, but if he becomes a liability we may want to try seeing what Elias or Erasamo can offer. If no one can step up as the 5th starter, then may be time to trade for a starter and bump Felix out.

I still can't believe how great Haniger is. Nice to see Healy heating back up, he seems to be streaky. Lets get the sweep tomorrow.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Another great game, starting to distance ourselves from the Angels. I know they are missing Othani and Simmons, but their lineup is not impressive. We need to pitch around Trout and pitch to the other guys. Could not believe Cook actually gave him a pitch he could hit after what he has done to us.

Hypothetically, if we were up only one with two outs going into the last inning and they had a runner on first, I'd think about walking Trout and moving the runner into scoring position.

This entire rotation has been nothing short of spectacular, expect for Felix. I know people say we don't have a better option to replace, but if he becomes a liability we may want to try seeing what Elias or Erasamo can offer. If no one can step up as the 5th starter, then may be time to trade for a starter and bump Felix out.

I still can't believe how great Haniger is. Nice to see Healy heating back up, he seems to be streaky. Lets get the sweep tomorrow.

Yeah, Felix is a concern still and will be until he can remove his pride and either begin taking training seriously in the off-season or turn into a fitness pitcher. There is no way that he loses 6 to 8 mph off of his fastball that can't be traced back to his laziness towards his craft. I am still waiting for the addition by subtraction bullpen to start doing just that.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

• The Mariners are just straight up fun to watch this season (with the notable exception of kind of dreading the first 2-3 innings every time Felix starts).

And I agree with Dave Valle and basically everyone here saying just don't even pitch to Trout anymore. Put him on and take your chances with literally anybody else. Having said that, that was a nice little "cherry on top" to see Diaz strike him out for the final out of the game. :D
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:The Mariners are just straight up fun to watch this season (with the notable exception of kind of dreading the first 2-3 innings every time Felix starts).

And I agree with Dave Valle and basically everyone here saying just don't even pitch to Trout anymore. Put him on and take your chances with literally anybody else. Having said that, that was a nice little "cherry on top" to see Diaz strike him out for the final out of the game. :D

They have it ALL. Clutch lead-off hitter? Hi, Dee Gordon. All-purpose hitting all-star and RBI monster? Hi, Jean Segura. Monster hitters capable of blasting one in to the upper decks? See: Everyone else. Elite pitching? Paxton, Gonzales. Capable mid-rotation starters? Enter: Frenchy and Sparky. Elite bullpen? Check out Papa Paz (otherwise known as the one pitch flyout champion), and Chasen "Black Bear" Bradford. Elite closer? Diaz has been nails, with many close games saved.

Fielding has been excellent and at times spectacular. Haniger has made a habit of plucking base hits from the air with diving catches.

We've been treated to it all, folks. Who knows? Maybe this could be their year. If not, I'm just going to enjoy watching the best Mariners team in 17 years.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• This team us fuun to watch. It sucks Houston is so good. I believe we will be in 2nd soon due to the schedule. Just keep close and let the schedule flip.

Houston plays one team over .500 until july 20th i heard. Smh
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Loving the euphoria. But dayum, lotta baseball to go. Angels are feeling the injury bug right now, we'll see if they can come back as their roster replenishes. Houston has had some injuries, but are still strong.

I'm just enjoying the ride. :irishdrinkers:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I'm obviously incredibly cynical about the Mariners, I want to believe, I really do, but I've seen too many late season collapses to invest hope in them. That said, this team is incredibly fun to watch, even when they lose, and as much as everyone, including me, expects a regression to the mean, I find myself wondering, are these lucky wins breeding confidence which is actually turning the Mariners into a better team? Simply because with each passing win, they believe in themselves more and more? Or am I just nuts?
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• You dont need Facebook.

Go to twitch.com and search channel0202
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Good god I love watching Nelly crush homers. Knocked it all the way to the left field upper deck.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah Cruz is really fun to watch! Even when they don't go out of the park, he just crushes pitches!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:You dont need Facebook.

Go to twitch.com and search channel0202

Thanks for the tip. Even works on the Twitch app on my Xbox.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• DJrmb wrote:Yeah Cruz is really fun to watch! Even when they don't go out of the park, he just crushes pitches!

Remember when the Mariners brought the fences in a few feet to help their mediocre offense? Boy, that seems like forever ago. Seems unnecessary now that we're knocking balls to the moon.

SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Nice win! We didn't play very well and blew a bunch of chances to add a lot of runs and we still got it done.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Mitch Haniger is on a roll! :irishdrinkers:
    L.O.B.
    Adopt a rookie: Tre Flowers
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

• Wow. Bring on Boston.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• Mitch mutha-effin Haniger!!! Man! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    avengerboater
    NET Practice Squad

• Way to grind out a win on a day that easily could have slipped away from you. Haniger is on fire both at the plate and in the field!
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Mitch Haniger. Need I say more?

SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Refuse to lose part 2.

On pace for 105 wins.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• Mitch Haniger is a Ninja!
    One of best trades I have ever seen the M's make.
    This guy is so good in clutch situations..Wow
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information