What the hell, Romar?

pehawk

Reaction score
I ENTIRELY wrote off this years Husky team. And, I was fine and accepting of that. It's a rebuilding year, for a program kinda forced to build around lottery types of late. And, there's a good class coming in next year. So, I was cool, NOT being all-in with the Dawgs hoops this year.

But, with a win tonight they go 5-0 in Pac-12? 13-5 overall's? That's 20+ win territory.

Romar never ceases to impress me. Dude's just a baller coach.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Next Saturday the Dawgs at the Ducks should be for first place. Both teams undefeated in Pac 12 play so far. Its good to see west coast college basketball on a bit of an upswing. Its been awful the last few years.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
No way Jsea. You know why? Because I jinxed UDub with this post, apparently. Yup, down by 12 with 7 min to go, to Utah.

I'm a jinx, because I dont love.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":v6irspoo said:
actually... might be too late

I really do not like Abdul Gaddy.

NO SIT, right? Swear that bastards somehow wormed into 8 years of eligibility. He haunts me.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I can't stand Romar, I think UW basketball frequently underperforms its talent, I question his recruiting recently, and I think the program peaked 2-3 years ago and is slipping. He's done a great job taking a bad program and making it relevant, but I think the program has gone as far as it's ever going to go under Lorenzo.

I guess 'can't stand' is too strong an emotion. Romar's a fine coach. But if UW is serious about trying to make a Final Four, I really doubt Romar's going to get it done.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Romar's kind of hard to peg. He's over performed, at least by record, with this years squad. They started out horrible, and even though I wrote them off and didn't follow as close, I always suspected that Romar could make that light go on for them. Romar's equally capable of coaching on a top 5 or mediocre level.

I thought last years team would've made a serious run in the tourney. The tourney matched their strengths.

My criticism would be the fasination with the flakey lottery types. I take no issue with the 1 and done types, but, last year the Huskies we're to be Kentucky west, and a recruit flaked out.

He'll get a Final Four team, no doubt. He's had a few squads with that type of talent level (Isiah's last year). The tourney takes a little luck too.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Every time in the tourney the take a loss from a powerhouse, I have no issue with Romar at all. I do though wish he'd recruit more big men, and when I say big men I'm not talking about these 6'7 tweener PF's, I'm talking big 6'9 and up guys. But I do understand his philosophy is an uptempo offense and scrappy defense, so we may never actually see that (I don't particularly agree with that philosophy but I'm not coaching the team). I do like Aziz N'Diaye, not a lot but I think if he gets in the right situation he could have an OK career in the NBA, maybe as a back up to someone like Marc Gasol or Dwight Howard?

I never understood the love affair for Gaddy that Romar has though, last year IMO they should've started out with Wroten running the point, but none of that matters anyway. Last year was arguably the most talented team he's ever coached and they fell painfully short of where they should've been. This team might actually be the least talented team he's had and its doing okay, for a guy who's relying on players who are injury prone (Suggs, & Wilcox) this team might fall short if they sustain an injury for a long period time over the season, but I'm not ready to sit here and say Romar isn't the guy.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I love the style of play under Romar. And, players do too, obviously. There's never a hesitation for any kid, regardless of geography, to come play for him.

Having THAT type of pull for kids is 70% of the job, and Romar's as good as it gets in that regard. It's not like he's at 'Cuse, Georgetown, UK, Lousiville, etc. I'd love to see any of those coaches recruit as well as Romar does at UDub.

Throwdown

Reaction score
pehawk":2syjvn5z said:
I love the style of play under Romar. And, players do too, obviously. There's never a hesitation for any kid, regardless of geography, to come play for him.

Having THAT type of pull for kids is 70% of the job, and Romar's as good as it gets in that regard. It's not like he's at 'Cuse, Georgetown, UK, Lousiville, etc. I'd love to see any of those coaches recruit as well as Romar does at UDub.

You know, I never thought of it that way at all, seriously.

One guy I do like in that style of play though is the kid outta New Orleans, Jernard Jerreau, if he pans out in his time at UW, you might be look at one of the funnest big men to watch in the college hoops.

jkitsune

Reaction score
pehawk":3dfd85p2 said:
Romar's kind of hard to peg. He's over performed, at least by record, with this years squad. They started out horrible, and even though I wrote them off and didn't follow as close, I always suspected that Romar could make that light go on for them. Romar's equally capable of coaching on a top 5 or mediocre level.

I thought last years team would've made a serious run in the tourney. The tourney matched their strengths.

My criticism would be the fasination with the flakey lottery types. I take no issue with the 1 and done types, but, last year the Huskies we're to be Kentucky west, and a recruit flaked out.

He'll get a Final Four team, no doubt. He's had a few squads with that type of talent level (Isiah's last year). The tourney takes a little luck too.

I guess I just don't see it like you do. He's been here for what, 10 or 11 years? He's done a fine job, but even with his most talented teams, my feeling is that he's struggled to win on the road, struggled to win marquee non-conference matchups, and generally underwhelmed compared to the level of talent. I could be wrong. I don't follow Huskies basketball nearly as closely as I do NCAA football, NFL, or MLB, but I HAVE been casually following since about 2002, and MOST years I come away with this same impression. To me it seems like the team is backsliding a bit, and that we've hit a plateau. We can stay at that plateau for a while under Romar, but if we want to convincingly take a step forward, we have to look for someone else.

My best friend is a much more ardent follower than me, and he disagrees with me, too. But I don't see anything that inspires confidence that we'll ever reach the Final Four under Romar. From what I see, most of the resistance to finding a new coach is based on how bad UW was before Romar came, and fear that we'll be worse off if he leaves, as opposed to hope that we could find a coach who can take the program to the next level. That seems like an odd attitude to have. Not saying it's your attitude, just what I've heard from people I've spoken to.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Gaddy is the worst shooting PG in the history of UW.

I went to the game v COL and had a good time. Was in Portland on Saturday so couldn't get to the game but was so disappointed by the outcome. Just when this team stopped playing like it had no heart it comes up with that game.

This team has no leader and besides Wilcox, no outstanding players. They fooled us by beating a few pac 12 teams.

Latest posts