The 2018 Recruiting Thread

Anajimmc

Reaction score
ITS is a trojan!!! Last domino? there could be a surprise.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Gonna add this now cuz I’m going to be out of the loop for awhile. It hasn’t been announced yet but the ducks are almost sure to land CB Kahlef Hailassie. He was all set to go to Washington state but the ducks swooped in late. He’s a backup option, but unlike the other one JJ Tucker, I really like this dudes film. 6’2”, 3 star corner.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4333198/Kahlef-Hailassie

That should do it for the ducks today. There’s still a 3 star defensive tackle who was supposed to commit elsewhere today but the coaches have convinced him to hold off signing and visit Eugene after signing day. (Not trying to be cryptic just can’t remember his name off the top of my head).

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":1b80qyb9 said:
Penei Sewell is a duck. Thank god or there would have been mass suicides in Eugene. #2 guard and # 68 overall player in the country. Probably the freshman that will have the best chance of starting next year (other then the long snapper) although he’ll have to beat out some good players.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4649752/Penei-Sewell

Interesting how it's all the "other" ducks that are in meltdown/suicide protocol?

You can come in off the ledge now J. ;)

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":q7h1elej said:
JSeahawks":q7h1elej said:
Penei Sewell is a duck. Thank god or there would have been mass suicides in Eugene. #2 guard and # 68 overall player in the country. Probably the freshman that will have the best chance of starting next year (other then the long snapper) although he’ll have to beat out some good players.

Interesting how it's all the "other' ducks that are in meltdown/suicide protocol?

If you’ve been on these boards for any amount of time you’d know I’m not one to get pissed or upset about losses for Seahawks or ducks. I’m certainly not going to get pissed about missing out on recruits who are yet to take a college snap.

I’m golden! (And yes, I realize you were saying that mostly in gest)

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":31wibr2m said:
DomeHawk":31wibr2m said:
JSeahawks":31wibr2m said:

Interesting how it's all the "other' ducks that are in meltdown/suicide protocol?

If you’ve been on these boards for any amount of time you’d know I’m not one to get pissed or upset about losses for Seahawks or ducks. I’m certainly not going to get pissed about missing out on recruits who are yet to take a college snap.

I’m golden! (And yes, I realize you were saying that mostly in gest)

It's just a joke J, no need to defend yourself.

D

DomeHawk

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
This is not my work. Im just copy and pasting it from my scoopduck site from a dude named Illimatic who did all the work. If any Duck fans are reading this and feeling upset about the class this will put things in a good perspective. And remember, they did this after two unsuccessful season and 3 different head coaches. **edit to add** That 2011 class is largely considered the best class in Oregon history and this class has more Tier 1 or higher talent then that one did.

Tier E: Ranked as a 5-star by one or more services
Tier 1: Ranked as a 4-star by two or three services
Tier 2: Ranked as a 4-star by one service
Tier 3: Ranked as a 3-star by all three services

*Note, I recently updated the tier criteria due to the 247/Scout merger

2018 Signees (as of 2/7 @ 3pm)
Tier 1: QB Tyler Shough
Tier 1: APB Jamal Elliott
Tier 1: WR Isaah Crocker
Tier 1: WR Jalen Hall
Tier 1: TE Spencer Webb
Tier 1: OL Penei Sewell
Tier 1: OL Steven Jones
Tier 1: OL Dawson Jaramillo
Tier 1: DB Steve Stephens
Tier 1: DB Jevon Holland
Tier 1: LB Adrian Jackson
Tier 2: CB Verone McKinley
Tier 3: RB Travis Dye
Tier 3: WR JJ Tucker
Tier 3: OL Justin Johnson
Tier 3: OL Chris Randazzo
Tier 3: DB Haki Woods
Tier 3: LB Andrew Johnson
Tier 3: LB MJ Cunningham
Tier 3: DL Sione Vea-Kava
Tier 3: DL Andrew Faoliu
Tier 5: LS Karsten Battles

2018 Class
Tier E: 0
Tier 1: 11
Tier 2: 1
Tier 3: 9

2017 Class
Tier 1: 5
Tier 2: 8
Tier 3: 10

2016 Class
Tier 2: 4

2015 Class
Tier E: 1
Tier 1: 6
Tier 2: 4
Tier 3: 11

2014 Class
Tier 2: 5

2013 Class
Tier 1: 7
Tier 2: 3
Tier 3: 5

2012 Class
Tier 1: 6
Tier 2: 6
Tier 3: 7

2011 Class
Tier E: 2
Tier 1: 7
Tier 2: 8
Tier 3: 6

hawkman

Reaction score
Now that’s it’s all but over I think UW and OU can feel pretty good about the classes, and as usual SC can feel great. Had some good banter on this thread! Who was it again that said it was pretty much a guarantee UW finished 4th in the pac? LOL, just kidding. Now we wait and see how many of these kids live up to the hype in the coming years.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Taking a break from the Pac-12, Georgia signed 7!! SEVEN!! Five star players. The whole Pac-12 got 4 (all USC).

hawkman

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1aa16tbs said:
Taking a break from the Pac-12, Georgia signed 7!! SEVEN!! Five star players. The whole Pac-12 got 4 (all USC).

Crazy really.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkman":9k6n5h31 said:
Did the Stanford staff take a year off recruiting?

Yea, thats a little surprising. I'm also surprised that Kevin Sumlin didnt close a little bit better at Arizona, although he was on really limited time even compared to most of the other new coaches. I figured he would have been able to pull a stud or two. Didnt land a single 4 star.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":26vdr652 said:
hawknation2017":26vdr652 said:
Chris Petersen and the Huskies are killing it. Never thought he would be this good at recruiting.

:irishdrinkers:

By signing day its almost guarantee'd to be 4th in the pac 12, behind USC, UCLA and Oregon.

Hmmm.....

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3omx026e said:
JSeahawks":3omx026e said:
hawknation2017":3omx026e said:
Chris Petersen and the Huskies are killing it. Never thought he would be this good at recruiting.

By signing day its almost guarantee'd to be 4th in the pac 12, behind USC, UCLA and Oregon.

Hmmm.....

Yea, I missed that one. I actually thought UW’s class was done at that point. I didn’t realize they still had room to add more. I also thought at that point the ducks were going to try and fill up all the way to 32. Should have known better then to make guarantees in recruiting.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":18mbhl4q said:
DomeHawk":18mbhl4q said:
JSeahawks":18mbhl4q said:
hawknation2017":18mbhl4q said:

Hmmm.....

Yea, I missed that one. I actually thought UW’s class was done at that point. I didn’t realize they still had room to add more. I also thought at that point the ducks were going to try and fill up all the way to 32. Should have known better then to make guarantees in recruiting.

I would really like to know, and I am not trying to be critical, how you could have brought in 32 players? I knew there were 22 graduating but where is the attrition on the other 10?

CP likes to bring in 17-20, barring unusual circumstances that keeps classes balanced. The fact that Cristobol didn't do that really works in your favor in my opinion. It's about sustainability, not making a one-year splash.

Do you agree?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":5vn9w0v2 said:
CP likes to bring in 17-20, barring unusual circumstances that keeps classes balanced. The fact that Cristobol didn't do that really works in your favor in my opinion. It's about sustainability, not making a one-year splash.

Do you agree?

Well, honestly I can see both sides. Taggart was all about making a splash. There's no doubt in my mind had he stayed we'd have a top 5 recruiting class. Not number 1, but up there near the top. I think his goal was to put Oregon back on the map and show that its still a destination for kids. A top 5 class would have gotten the attention of future recruits.

Cristobal's approach is probably better for the long term health of the program, cuz like you said its better to keep classes balanced and even.

So my heart would have loved TAggarts approach, it would have been exciting! But my head agree's with what Cristobal has done.

I would really like to know, and I am not trying to be critical, how you could have brought in 32 players? I knew there were 22 graduating but where is the attrition on the other 10?

Short answer: We were playing with way less then the max 85 total scholarships this past season.

Long answer: We've lost a ton of guys the last year and a half. 4 were kicked off the team (Darren Carrington, Austin Maloata, Darrian Franklin, Tristen Wallace), 2 medically retired (Zach Okun, Devon Allen), 1 just plain quit (Erick Briscoe Jr), and several transferred. (Jalen Brown, Rutger Reitmaier, Wayne Kirby, Kaleel Oliver, AJ Ofodile, Braxton Burmeister... with Burmeister it hasnt been announced publicly yet, but word is he's leaving). The majority of those guys were underclassmen so it leaves a hole on the roster for this upcoming season.

After signing the 22 players today we have 75 of the 85 scholarships filled so we could have had 10 more if we wanted. Now there's a new rule this year that you can only sign 25 in a class but there's a loophole that you can count early enrollee's towards the previous class. So the goal was to get 7 early enrollee's which would have allowed us 32 in this class.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":2bol0nm2 said:
DomeHawk":2bol0nm2 said:

Do you agree?

Well, honestly I can see both sides. Taggart was all about making a splash. There's no doubt in my mind had he stayed we'd have a top 5 recruiting class. Not number 1, but up there near the top. I think his goal was to put Oregon back on the map and show that its still a destination for kids. A top 5 class would have gotten the attention of future recruits.

Cristobal's approach is probably better for the long term health of the program, cuz like you said its better to keep classes balanced and even.

So my heart would have loved TAggarts approach, it would have been exciting! But my head agree's with what Cristobal has done.

Short answer: We were playing with way less then the max 85 total scholarships this past season.

Long answer: We've lost a ton of guys the last year and a half. 4 were kicked off the team (Darren Carrington, Austin Maloata, Darrian Franklin, Tristen Wallace), 2 medically retired (Zach Okun, Devon Allen), 1 just plain quit (Erick Briscoe Jr), and several transferred. (Jalen Brown, Rutger Reitmaier, Wayne Kirby, Kaleel Oliver, AJ Ofodile, Braxton Burmeister... with Burmeister it hasnt been announced publicly yet, but word is he's leaving). The majority of those guys were underclassmen so it leaves a hole on the roster for this upcoming season.

After signing the 22 players today we have 75 of the 85 scholarships filled so we could have had 10 more if we wanted. Now there's a new rule this year that you can only sign 25 in a class but there's a loophole that you can count early enrollee's towards the previous class. So the goal was to get 7 early enrollee's which would have allowed us 32 in this class.

Ok, I get it.

Don't want to belabor the point but when you guys were rated #5 in was WAY early in the process and Alabama was like #24 at that time. And, yes I know, I've said it before, but go look at the top five classes. They all have multiple 5-stars and a high 4 to 3-star ratio, Oregon never had that and it was highly unlikely that it was ever going to. What you had was a LOT of recruits before anyone else did. Look at USC's class, they have ONE (1) 3-star! Georgia, a 4 and 5-star ratio of 22 to 4, Ohio St. 23 to 3, Texas 19 to 8, etc. etc. THAT's what it takes to get a top-5 class these days, even when Taggart was there you had an almost even mix of 4 and 3 stars with ZERO 5-stars.

Sorry, but there was NOTHING to suggest that Oregon was going to get a top-5 class.