2020 draft class - Grades & debate

James in PA

Reaction score
I think they got better as the draft went on. You know, sort of like how the Hawks as a team perform in games. I’m really excited to see Swain, and Ursua battle it out. Sullivan looks like a freak, cant wait to see how he fits in. PLEASE let Taylor and Robinson not go the Collier route from last year. I want to see contributions THIS year. Parkinson looks like a beast. We’re deep at TE and might have some trade bait. DeeJay Dallas looks explosive. I was hoping they’d add a RB. I’m really intrigued by undrafted FA QB Anthony Gordon. He looks good. Would love to see him win the backup job.

My overall draft grade: Solid B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Joyodongo":2jlfm5h6 said:
Sports Hernia":2jlfm5h6 said:
endzorn":2jlfm5h6 said:
D-
We are a fringe playoff team each year based solely on having a Hall of Fame QB. This draft illustrates again that Schneider can’t identify value. We’ve had 8 drafts in a row that are individually among the worst in the NFL in their respective years and this might be the worst one yet. Schneider has what feels like a lifetime pass because Seattle coddles any sports figure who has ever had success with the team. Those successes are long gone and we now have a bottom 8-10 roster salvaged by a great QB.
Harsh.

None of these players have played one NFL snap and you are already declaring them failures. Got it.

Well, the same could be said about the people who are grading the players/draft well. We have no idea, it’s just a feeling, so let us don’t like the draft.
By the way, I completely agree with endzorn. Any criticism of PC/JS is seen by many as an heresy and the truth, at least for me, is that he’s very bad at drafting (since 2012). People give him a pass because of the RW pick but, since then: Lockett, Clark, DK are the only blue chips he’s drafted. In .... 8 YEARS !!! C’mon ...
Some people in this very forum hated the 2012 draft on draft day as well. Some talking heads gave it an F or D-.

All I’m saying is let them at least play some NFL snaps before claiming the sky is falling and calling it a permanent colossal failure.

JS and PC have had their share of bad picks..... Collier, McDowell, T2, Lano Hill, Flowers etc etc.

So have the best GM’s. Billcheat, Lynch, Jerruh all have made bad picks. Even in the best drafts there are bad picks.

JS/PC’s problem is they try too hard to find the hidden gems in the first 2 rounds instead of taken more obvious safer choices. Their strategy works late 2nd round on, doesn’t work well before that most of the time.

A lot of the problem is Fantasy Football and Madden enables everyone to think just because they won their little fantasy league or owned their buddy’s on Madden they are somehow a master talent evaluator.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and can say what they want, but some folks want so bad to be the first to claim a position even at the risk of their predictions looking foolhardy.

In time If I’m wrong about this draft I’ll welcome you to call me out on it.
Save this post and throw it back in my face and I’ll eat some crow if you are correct and I’m wrong. 8)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
C-.

I think that Brooks was a very bad pick. On paper he looks good, he has the stats, and measurables. When I actually delved in and watched the tape, I didn't like what I saw. I actually went and watched several more games of him than the ones I posted. He just doesn't look like a starting NFL linebacker. When he isn't running in a straight line he looks very slow. He is very tight and had troubles shedding blocks against stronger competition. His coverage skills are non-existent and I was shocked to see how bad his tackling was. He has a nasty habit of over pursuing and taking bad angles. One of his specialties was supposed to be spying Quarterbacks, but when I saw him play against Jalen Hurts he was constantly out of position or just getting schooled.

Brooks is not a first round talent. Brooks is incredibly raw as a player and is not to be what I believe to be a day one starter. My guess is he will probably start day one, but our defense will suffer for it. He is a project player, I did not see strong fundamentals. I wanted to like him, he had a really cool story and he's actually very motivating, what you would describe as a natural leader. It's just the more I watched Brooks the more I watched Brooks the more I had the question "why?" running through my head.

I actually like our second pick, Darrell Taylor. He is a guy I can see contributing as a situational pass rusher. I don't see him helping the run defense much, but from what I observed with a little bit of refinement he could be our next Chris Clemons. Very similar skill set and in some ways he played a similar role at his school. He is an undersized pass rusher with speed. What is cool about his speed though is it is apparent on tape, and he can start and stop on a dime. His ability to rotate and come back around is insane for a guy his size. It sounds like they're going to use him as a stand up pass rusher at the leo position. My guess is he is going to be rotating in and out with Bruce Irvin. I can see him being a contributor in third downs on day one.

Damien Lewis is not a guard I'm content with. His run blocking was really good, but for fun I watched scouting tapes on Joe Burrows to see how he was as a pass blocker. Not pretty. He's going to get Russell Wilson killed if he sees any playing time. I think the Seahawks needed more here to be honest with you. Russell Wilson is getting older, and a bit slower than he was in his youth. The Seahawks absolutely need more help on the offensive line. I don't think they can continue prioritizing run blockers above all else. Above all else we chose a guard when our most glaring hole was at right tackle. In a draft that was stacked at offensive line, I don't understand why we didn't go offensive line earlier when our RT has the potential to be a real problem or even LT when our LT is now one of the oldest LT's in the league.

As for the rest I don't think the Seahawks did a good job addressing RB concerns. Dallas seems like he could be a great third down back, but the problem is we already have several of those. I watched some games of Dallas and his vision doesn't seem to be top notch. He looks like a guy that transitioned to running back from wide receiver. Under different circumstances I would have actually liked this pick. He does bring potential as a third down back, role player sort of guy. Unfortunately with how fragile our RB's have been I think we should have gone with a different sort of player. My issue is we already have many third down back sort of characters. Penny is a decent receiver, and Homer sort of fulfills that change of pace, receiver out of the backfield niche as well. We already have a lot of those style of backs. Now, or other back could be the dark horse that we drafted. Unfortunately I couldn't find any footage of him.

(side note, I'm a fan of that wide receiver we picked up from Flordia. Good return man and I think if given the chance he has the potential to be a good slot receiver for us. Exactly the type of receiver we needed.).

Overall I think Carroll and JS got too cute here. Of course I may be wrong and I tried going into this with an open mind. The more I watched Brooks and Lewis in particular the more questions arose in my head. I know players are drafted for what they can become rather than what they are in college as well as other things such as potential teach-ability and scheme fit. Even considering that some of the Seahawks choices have me scratching my head. I hope I'm here eating crow in the next few years. As of right now the only one I have hope to be a good starter for us is Taylor. Even he has some issues that could derail him (as do most collegiate players).

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
getnasty":1llj9izn said:
I like the Lewis and Robinson picks don't mind the Taylor pick but the rest of them were ok at best to me. I too wish we would have grabbed a DT and for such a deep draft at WR we grabbed one that's not real exciting.

C- for me
DItto. First 3 are good high grade players. The rest are believe it when you see it.
Very disappointed overall, and not just in our draft class. If we make the playoffs this year Russ should be anointed as a miracle worker.

Good post Spin Doc. I think you're on it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
endzorn said:
D-
We’ve had 8 drafts in a row that are individually among the worst in the NFL in their respective years and this might be the worst one yet.

I would actually like to see some analysis that either supports or refutes this statement. What is the league average of players drafted that contribute to their team? How does the league average stack up to what the Seahawks have done? How many supposedly blue chip players have other teams picked in the last 8 years? Blanket statements without evidence often ring hollow.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
vonstout":1wely9a4 said:
Here are the players that have worked out over the years since the infamous Wagner, Wilson, Trade for Lynch draft.

That was all in the same year? Musta been a glitch in the Matrix.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not a lot of draft grades out yet but I see some writers have given the Seahawks as high as a C all the way to a D minus. I hope they are wrong. My friends are telling me the Seahawks are the worst team in the div now as everyone else got better.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3cjgx1bt said:
Not a lot of draft grades out yet but I see some writers have given the Seahawks as high as a C all the way to a D minus. I hope they are wrong. My friends are telling me the Seahawks are the worst team in the div now as everyone else got better.

Yeah, I've been hearing that load of crap for 5 years now. Seems like the 'Hawks are FINALLY "the worst in the west" every single year, doesn't it?

chris98251

Reaction score
Good every time they give us a lousy score we end up with a nice draft.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Something interesting from what little video I saw of this class. The attitude is a bit more serious. Not a lot of happy go lucky fun loving guys. I think this could bode well for locker room culture. This is the happiest I have been for an overall class in a while. Jury is still out of course but it gives me something to look forward to.

One thing all these pundits and arm chair GM’s on this board do not have is insight into the player themselves. John and Pete interviewed many guys. Maybe she of the “higher graded guys” did not fit culture or were head cases or low football IQ. We do not see that only what Draft “gurus” tell us.

I also find it interesting that they traded next year 6 for this year 7. Project guy. Think about how much he impressed John and Pete if they were willing to do this. There could be something there??? Either way a 6th is not really a big loss if it does not pan out. Besides according to some on this board it doesn’t matter because they can’t pick worth a poop anyways.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Couple of questions

To those wanting the Hawks to take a DT, which one? I don't watch a ton of CFB, but I don't think there was a NFL ready DT to be had.

On what planet did the Niners get better? They basically replaced departed veteran talent with unproven rookies, and a LT who hasn't played since 2018. Yes, the rookies are largely clones of the departing talent, but they are unproven as of yet. Even if they step in and play at a phenomenal level for rookies, they are just getting the team back to where they were last year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't care less what people grade the Hawks. They RARELY get a good grading. We won't know for a couple years if it was a good draft. I actually liked their picks this year. Guess that just makes me an optimistic homer, and I'm good with that. :irishdrinkers:

xray

Reaction score
I'm not clever enough to grade this or any draft . Who really knows ? Examples....Baker Mayfield ...#1 overall pick is just a C+ QB at best. Tom Brady was an unknown QB taken in the 6th round who now owns 6 SB rings . Go figure .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, it's a crap shoot, always has been. Especially this year w/out teams being able to do nearly as much one on one as in the past.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I think this is one of the most consistent drafts the Hawks have had in years. I’ll predict 3 starters and 2 solid backups from this draft and an overall B plus grade. Originally, the Brooks pick bummed me out as I thought LB was a need but could wait for later rounds, but we’ve been adding mediocre LBs in the middle rounds of drafts for years and years, so it was time to try and find a younger, dynamic player at that position to replace KJ and eventually Bobby.

B + from me

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It feels like they changed their draft strategy.

What we tend to do well is to take in raw talent and turn a few of those into very good to great players. We do this by giving ourselves more spins at the wheel. This was not the case this draft.

Paradoxically, while we are one of the best teams in the league at finding gems in late rounds and UDFAs - we are one of the worst in drafting for need.

Our hit rate in the 1st and 2nd rounds is not great. And the success we have with 1st day picks is rarely guys that turn into top tier players.

This draft seemed to be a shift. We focused on TE, LB, and DE. All areas of need.

We did draft several at each position, which gives us a better chance at success in filling one of those gaps. Maybe it will work.

The concern is we seem to have focused this entire draft on filling these gaps. Since filling gaps is something we are somewhere between terrible and horrific at - it is odd to see us focus on a weakness instead of a strength. Back when we were filled with studs up and down the roster, filling gaps would have made sense. But our roster is pretty mediocre right now - additional great players anywhere in the roster would be welcome. Why change now?

Time will tell if this one works out. We tend to be underwhelming in the early pick success and overwhelming at success in later rounds. But that was with a strategy for possibilities. We looked for raw talent & upside - which is easier to find when you are open to it anywhere on the roster.

Will shifting to a 'fix the holes' approach work? Will we get better success early and less success late (like a typical team?) but with players more able to contribute immediately? Or is focusing on doing something we struggle with a mistake?

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. For now, this looks like a C-.

James in PA

Reaction score
Here’s an interesting overall GPA which factors in the grades from many of the “experts.” Not surprisingly, Seattle is near the very bottom and DallASS is near the top. Gotta give the media darlings something to be happy about, I suppose.

383b66e0a93c7889323c870b7d2153a4

HawkinNY

Reaction score
If they say it’s a bad draft odds are the draft class is great. 2012 they gave Seattle a D.

BASF

Reaction score
Solid B. Happy with pretty much every player. I was a little disappointed that we passed on Gross-Matos, but I understand the Brooks pick and think he will be a solid starter for us over the next four years. Grabbing Taylor in the second erased the Gross-Matos disappointment quickly. Damien Lewis is a road grader and will be a four year starter. I can see Parkinson making the roster with Luke Willson being cut, I am ok with carrying four TEs with Dissly being on the PUP to start the season. Hate all Miami players, but I like what I see from Dallas as our running back. A lot of the same measurables as Carson with more polish, just chosen three rounds earlier. I expect Robinson to make the roster and take snaps as the fifth or sixth DE, helping to keep everyone fresh. Swain will be our returner finally getting Lockett away from those duties. I don't have a lot of faith in Sullivan to make the roster, but he is a better athlete than Parkinson, just not as polished. His twenty yard shuttle is a little disappointing for a player that may be asked to get open in the box, but the team did announce him as a receiver instead of TE.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":13fm9fo9 said:
John Clayton gave them a B according to his own radio show.