2023 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is where it gets tricky. We will probably sign Jason Peters to the 53. And with Lucas on the brink of coming back, they will have to waive Forsythe or Curhan, or both. And at this time of year, they will be claimed by another team because there are actually several teams with worse OL problems than us.
They don’t have to waive Forsythe or Curhan. They can waive Raiqwon O’Neal or Mclendon Curtis. Two guys they pick up earlier. They have been on the roster long enough that they could sign either of them to PS spot vacated by Peters to the 53 man roster. If I understand the rules correctly.

bileever

Reaction score
They don’t have to waive Forsythe or Curhan. They can waive Raiqwon O’Neal or Mclendon Curtis. Two guys they pick up earlier. They have been on the roster long enough that they could sign either of them to PS spot vacated by Peters to the 53 man roster. If I understand the rules correctly.
Good point. I thought they had been moved to the practice squad. I didn't realize they were on the 53.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good point. I thought they had been moved to the practice squad. I didn't realize they were on the 53.
I could be wrong on this but Lucas is "designated to return" currently but not yet activated to the roster. Therefore, they would need to release someone to make room for him too. So I'm thinking it may be both O'Neal and Curtis that are dropped and one or both signed to PS.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I could be wrong on this but Lucas is "designated to return" currently but not yet activated to the roster. Therefore, they would need to release someone to make room for him too. So I'm thinking it may be both O'Neal and Curtis that are dropped and one or both signed to PS.
They do have 21 days from the day he was designated for practice to activate him. A lot can happen between now and then.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Both of McLendon Curtis and Raiquon O'Neal were signed from other teams' PS so the team had to keep them on their active roster for at least 3 games. The two signings were made necessary by the lack of OT depth with the injuries to Cross and Lucas. Since then Cross has return to health and the team has signed Jason Peters and played him for his max PS appearances. Thus to keep Peters around (something I believe to be desirable), and to return Lucas to the active roster some roster moves look to be imminent.

Peters will attract a significant cap charge to add to the 53 but his experience and positional versatility will strengthen the OLine at both T and G.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The site has a 50,000 character limit and regrettably that number would have been exceeded posting the addition to the 53 man roster of Jason Peters. The effect of that excess would have prevented any further additions to the OP.

As a result the OP needed to be cut down a bit so I moved the now less relevant 2023 team free agents to one of my spare posts. This of course regrettably means the OP will no longer be a complete record of the roster moves. That is disappointing but 50,000 characters is a lot and our fearless leader upped the limit to that from an earlier limit.

JS has been very busy this year and there are now closing on 300 roster moves as game 10 approaches. This is a good deal more now at this point of the year than we have seen since 2013. The PS rules changes add a good number as do the new rules for IR.

As needed going forward I will cut down the OP when the character limit is met again. It’s an unfortunate limitation but part of the site design and you’d expect that significant number would be sufficient. It’s been a busy year so far however.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Would it help in the future to maybe start multiple replies to the OP as holding spaces for additional details as needed through the season. Then when you hit a limit move to the second post and so on? Or perhaps break down the roster into 3 posts to start, one for offense, one for defense and one for special teams?

Just some thoughts for the future. I’m sure you’ll work it out. We all do appreciate all the work that is put into this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yes for sure kidhawk, have done that in the past (setting aside spare posts for that exact reason). This year just not quick enough. Truly though, there have been a lot of multiple roster moves this season so far.

Thanks for the update on Curhan, much appreciated as ever!!!

Updated.

I suppose Curhan is thought to be less valuable to the team going forward than either of the two other OTs. Somehow though I’d not be surprised to see him added back to the PS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It looks as if the team made other roster moves that have not been reported as I just saw Jonathan Sutherland on ST making a tackle.

Seahawks.com sure sucks at staying up to date.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This morning Seahawks.com finally caught up and posted the following on their team transactions page.

• 11/20
    S Ty Okada reverted to the practice squad.
  • 11/18
    Released T Jake Curhan. Signed T Jason Peters from the practice squad. Elevated S Ty Okada from the practice squad.

This is interesting because I saw # 28 Jonathan Sutherland make a ST tackle yesterday. So unless Okada temporarily had Sutherland's #, something is wrong.

I've updated based upon their info but haven't changed Okada's number.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This morning Seahawks.com finally caught up and posted the following on their team transactions page.

• 11/20
    S Ty Okada reverted to the practice squad.
  • 11/18
    Released T Jake Curhan. Signed T Jason Peters from the practice squad. Elevated S Ty Okada from the practice squad.

This is interesting because I saw # 28 Jonathan Sutherland make a ST tackle yesterday. So unless Okada temporarily had Sutherland's #, something is wrong.

I've updated based upon their info but haven't changed Okada's number.

With one being 39 and the other 34 is it possible the jersey or camera angle just made it appear like the other number?

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville, as ever much appreciated.

Not a happy piece of news.

Updated.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Makes sense with him going on IR that they are bringing back Coby Bryant now. Prior to this we didn’t really have a place for him

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have thought for a while the team sees Coby Bryant as a possible successor to Diggs.

Latest posts