toffee

Reaction score
Sorry for another Bobo thread, I just like how Bobo owns the 4.99sec 40 yards. When he was asked if he ran a 4.99, he said: YES - 100%, no excuses, no buts, no rain, no wet track. I appreciate that!

Both parents of Bobo went to Dartmouth, that is one more than Wilson whose father went to Dartmouth.

Last edited:

HawkinNY

Reaction score
He didn't get drafted. Just goes to show what we've known for years, these guys are way ahead of the curve on Undrafted Free Agents.
It does seem that Seattle gets these undrafted gems. I think most undetected players would want to go to Seattle. They know they get a real shot at making a team.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It does seem that Seattle gets these undrafted gems. I think most undetected players would want to go to Seattle. They know they get a real shot at making a team.
Good point.

I think your right that it gives us an advantage. UDFA's when given a choice, always go where they think they have the best shot. Tyson Bagent is a great example. I believe he had a number of offers, but saw some writing of opportunity on the wall in Chicago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
So far Bobo seems to be media friendly, he knows how to handle himself when TV cameras and mics were pointed at him.

GemCity

Reaction score
Christian McCaffrey got 10 reps on the bench at the combine. I can do that now and haven’t lifted in 3-4 years…at the age of 50.

If he can play, he can play!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think I could have hit 4.99 in high school or into my 20s. I never ran track (or at all, if I could avoid it!) so I don't know what my speed was, but it was probably pretty slow. So for me, Bobo is a veritable speedster!

GemCity

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, 4.5’s and below are insane times.

But we are talking hundredths of a second here.

*Yes…I know. In before some .netkspert tells me how those hundredths of a second amounts to getting open or hitting holes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think scouts and GM's get too hung up on measurables, and not production and other intangible things like work ethic, background, intelligence, etc.

It's why scouting might be the most underrated organizational department in the league. Which we obviously have a very good scouting crew, who find guys like Baldwin and Bobo.

It's one of great things about pro sports, and why a lot of us love it. It's the ultimate meritocracy, doesn't matter your background, where you come from, your skin color, what college you went to, what round you were drafted in. None of it matters if you have the skills and work ethic to compete, you'll play.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I do think scouts and GM's get too hung up on measurables, and not production and other intangible things like work ethic, background, intelligence, etc.

It's why scouting might be the most underrated organizational department in the league. Which we obviously have a very good scouting crew, who find guys like Baldwin and Bobo.

It's one of great things about pro sports, and why a lot of us love it. It's the ultimate meritocracy, doesn't matter your background, where you come from, your skin color, what college you went to, what round you were drafted in. None of it matters if you have the skills and work ethic to compete, you'll play.

Well said, Sgt.

And when we want to see the very best at a position in sports, none of the externals that everyone likes to pick on or highlight socially end up mattering. You can be ugly as sin, the wrong color skin/hair, and six toes and still be famous for your ability to contribute.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hour 3: ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates on the Seahawks, Geno Smith, and DK Metcalf

Bob and Dave are joined by ESPN NFL Insider & Host of Fantasy Football Focus podcast Field Yates to get the national perspective on the Seahawks, Geno Smith, Jake Bobo’s story, and DK Metcalf’s personality,

They get you ready for UW’s next game against USC with Huskies Insider Christian Caple. And they bring you the latest on the Seahawks bringing Frank Clark back to Seattle.

Fun Facts from Field:

Jake Bobo attended the same High School as Field Yates. TAKE THAT SALK!! :p

Jake's actual first name is "Jackson." So we have 2 rookie WRs named Jackson!

Jakes Mom coached Field Yates wife in high school.

I found this on Jakes high school recruiting profile:

40 time: 4.91!

And apparently he benched 225# 155 times!

(Or the author accidentally put his HS weight in the wrong column)

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Hour 3: ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates on the Seahawks, Geno Smith, and DK Metcalf

Bob and Dave are joined by ESPN NFL Insider & Host of Fantasy Football Focus podcast Field Yates to get the national perspective on the Seahawks, Geno Smith, Jake Bobo’s story, and DK Metcalf’s personality,

They get you ready for UW’s next game against USC with Huskies Insider Christian Caple. And they bring you the latest on the Seahawks bringing Frank Clark back to Seattle.

Fun Facts from Field:

Jake Bobo attended the same High School as Field Yates. TAKE THAT SALK!! :p

Jake's actual first name is "Jackson." So we have 2 rookie WRs named Jackson!

Jakes Mom coached Field Yates wife in high school.

I found this on Jakes high school recruiting profile:

40 time: 4.91!

And apparently he benched 225# 155 times!

(Or the author accidentally put his HS weight in the wrong column)

If he ran 4.91 in high school, he ought to be faster post college, unless he gained height and weight in those college years. Colby Parkinson is 3" taller, and almost 50 lbs heavier, ran 4.77sec 40 yards. I suspect Bobo could be a 4.7-4.8 guy on a good day, but he has good game speed, just like Largent, and Rice, those two were 4.7 guys too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maybe he couldn't afford to pay for one of those training academies. Either way, 4.99 is just fine. It's rare that a football player ever runs a straight line for 40 yards. If he does, that means busted coverage and a slower player is very likely to score.

IMHO, anything 4.4 and above is nothing special in the NFL WRs and RBs. The only speed that can effect how a defense plays, game in and game out, is 4.39 and below.

Teams have plans for players like DK and Tyreek Hill.

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, 4.5’s and below are insane times.

But we are talking hundredths of a second here.

*Yes…I know. In before some .netkspert tells me how those hundredths of a second amounts to getting open or hitting holes.

I don't think any WR in the history of the NFL has ever run a 4.99 so there isn't really any comps. "Slow" WRs are generally in the 4.6-4.7 range. 4.99 is unheard of.

Latest posts