7-7 And I Feel Fine.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's go back to months back when our expectations were bottom barrell. Vegas had our ceiling at 5.5 wins. Zero expectations. Yet, Geno became a phenom, the rookies were a revelation. We have been playing with house money ever since we went on that 4 game winning streak mid season. Now reality has come crashing down and here we are .500 with an outside prayer of a chance to make a wildcard but with the Chiefs and Jets looming, that seems a long shot.

Still, I can't help but feel fine. Even last night, I watched the game with such apathy it was frightening to me. At one point I nonchalantly turned the channel to watch a movie. I've NEVER done that before. Especially not a nationally televised, divisional, HUGE game. But I was okay with it all. Well, okay, not okay with looking like dog doo against our arch rivals but strangely not angry or upset as I might normally have been.

And that's because the future is blindingly bright to me. Geno's struggles of late are simply due to facing the best defense in the NFL, or last week due to no running game to speak of, et al. We should sign him to a deal that makes fiscal sense whether that means the franchise tag or a contract that doesn't overpay. With 4 picks in the what, top 45 of the 2023 draft means we have a legitimate shot to not only address our most dire need (DL) but hit a homerun with someone like Jalen Carter.

Regardless of how we finish, our talented rookie class has gained invaluable experience this year. It will pay dividends moving forward.

As A-Rod would say... R-E-L-A-X. All is well. Our graph is pointing skyward.

James in PA

Reaction score
Winning 7 games was the worst result we could've asked for. Not enough to make the playoffs, and cost themselves a top 10 pick in a rebuilding year.

Pathetic team. Can't even tank properly
This describes the purgatory we were in for most of the '90's.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I said this from day 1, this season is all house money. I went into it not expecting anything. So far they have had ups and downs, and although there is talent here, and there is hope for the future it's been obvious that this isn't a finished team yet. I did hope we'd see more defensive progress by this time fo the year, but hopefully we can fix those problems through the draft and free agency.

I will go into these final 3 games pf the regular season the way I have gone into the previous ones; no expectations, but rooting for a win every minute of the game. I don't want to see this team tank (we have Wilson for that). We have a lot of quality draft capital this year. I have a lot of hope for next year and beyond and that is enough for me.

Chawker

Reaction score
Aros the win loss record you are correct, but there are other concerns I have with this team. Like Mone going down with a knee injury and how long will it be before his returns ?

The other major one is the defensive toughness, it seems they worry more about penalties and getting a big hit, which receirers are reluctant to extend their arms for a catch. Think Kam Chanclor. I wish we had just one thumper on the back end. 15 yard penaltys be damed.

toffee

Reaction score
Quite a few us viewed the season opener as our superbowl, the rest of the season has been playing on house money. Along the way, our expectations were boosted by Geno's top 3 grading etc., now we are back to earth. Hey we can still win all the remaining games,

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Aros the win loss record you are correct, but there are other concerns I have with this team. Like Mone going down with a knee injury and how long will it be before his returns ?

The other major one is the defensive toughness, it seems they worry more about penalties and getting a big hit, which receirers are reluctant to extend their arms for a catch. Think Kam Chanclor. I wish we had just one thumper on the back end. 15 yard penaltys be damed.

I hear ya but my concern is Lockett being out for potentially the rest of the year. That is a true impactful hit to our offense.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Dont know if it is Karma or Premonition...but I was in BiMart yesterday before the gaame and an awning was on sale so I bought it. It is a 7x7 awning for camping. And then this thread. Wierdness.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Quite a few us viewed the season opener as our superbowl, the rest of the season has been playing on house money. Along the way, our expectations were boosted by Geno's top 3 grading etc., now we are back to earth. Hey we can still win all the remaining games,
I hope they don't simply because it will cost them draft position. There's no point in winning now.

m0ng0

Reaction score
That might be the sign we just roll out the youth and play it out...so what? Geno is coming back to earth, the D is struggling again, we are coming back to where most people expected.

If you expected a playoff run at the beginning of this season you were crazy, you still are. We simply don't have the horses on offense or defense. It's a team game and we are where most reasonable people expected us to be.

Deal with it, don't FIRE or cut anybody just ride it out, and see where the draft takes us.

knownone

Reaction score
That would be an excellent perspective if you went into the season with low expectations. Instead, I picked us to win 11 games and thought Geno would be good (not this good). So it is disappointing to see our season unravel this way. I do share your optimism for the future, though.

And honestly, injuries at key positions are what did us in. We're just not deep enough to sustain those losses and keep winning. Last night was a microcosm of our season. We lost Brooks and Mone during the game, and our only chance at a comeback fell short because we couldn't stop the run. Do those guys make a difference? Maybe.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I'm going to fall on my sword here. This is 100% all my fault. When I was apathetic and didn't care they were winning and surprising everyone. As soon as I got emotionally invested, they turned back into the keystone kops. Sorry.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
That would be an excellent perspective if you went into the season with low expectations. Instead, I picked us to win 11 games and thought Geno would be good (not this good). So it is disappointing to see our season unravel this way. I do share your optimism for the future, though.

And honestly, injuries at key positions are what did us in. We're just not deep enough to sustain those losses and keep winning. Last night was a microcosm of our season. We lost Brooks and Mone during the game, and our only chance at a comeback fell short because we couldn't stop the run. Do those guys make a difference? Maybe.
I don't buy it, they are getting beat at every phase on defense, can't stop the run AND botched assignments in the secondary. Can't get pressure on the QB stupid penatlies that give up 1st downs. This team is a shambles on D.

keasley45

Reaction score
Let's go back to months back when our expectations were bottom barrell. Vegas had our ceiling at 5.5 wins. Zero expectations. Yet, Geno became a phenom, the rookies were a revelation. We have been playing with house money ever since we went on that 4 game winning streak mid season. Now reality has come crashing down and here we are .500 with an outside prayer of a chance to make a wildcard but with the Chiefs and Jets looming, that seems a long shot.

Still, I can't help but feel fine. Even last night, I watched the game with such apathy it was frightening to me. At one point I nonchalantly turned the channel to watch a movie. I've NEVER done that before. Especially not a nationally televised, divisional, HUGE game. But I was okay with it all. Well, okay, not okay with looking like dog doo against our arch rivals but strangely not angry or upset as I might normally have been.

And that's because the future is blindingly bright to me. Geno's struggles of late are simply due to facing the best defense in the NFL, or last week due to no running game to speak of, et al. We should sign him to a deal that makes fiscal sense whether that means the franchise tag or a contract that doesn't overpay. With 4 picks in the what, top 45 of the 2023 draft means we have a legitimate shot to not only address our most dire need (DL) but hit a homerun with someone like Jalen Carter.

Regardless of how we finish, our talented rookie class has gained invaluable experience this year. It will pay dividends moving forward.

Exactly. It's less a rebuild, more a transition, and definitely a case of the future being bright. I thought we might be able to get a few more wins this year, but only if we handled business against lesser opponents.
That being said, we've been more than competitive in every game and that's saying a lot given some of the obvious weaknesses we have. We lost to the 9ers by 8, and gift wrapped 14 points for them. And they're arguably a top 4 or 5 team in the league.

Crap thing about obvious weaknesses is that they can be frustrating to live with if you don't have the tools to fix them.

Great thing about obvious weaknesses is that when you have the tools and the mindset, they're often easy to take care of. No special diagnostics required.

I think we have the tools in the draft capital we've acquired and the mindset, giving the sobering way our deficiencies have been exposed this year.

The future is indeed bright.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I said this from day 1, this season is all house money. I went into it not expecting anything. So far they have had ups and downs, and although there is talent here, and there is hope for the future it's been obvious that this isn't a finished team yet. I did hope we'd see more defensive progress by this time fo the year, but hopefully we can fix those problems through the draft and free agency.

I will go into these final 3 games pf the regular season the way I have gone into the previous ones; no expectations, but rooting for a win every minute of the game. I don't want to see this team tank (we have Wilson for that). We have a lot of quality draft capital this year. I have a lot of hope for next year and beyond and that is enough for me.
The defense got ****** over losing J Adams in the first game of the season. We woulda been far better off without him completley.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
When we got to 7 wins, we equaled last year's win total. We only need one more to beat it. How can you not call this a succesful season?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Well, I'm not fine with it. I was. I was pretty zen at the beginning of the season - before the Temptress Hawks went on an October roll.

The thing that I'm not okay with? Pretty much all the same people as October, right? So, it's coaching and mental. That I hate.

I've said "Pete can coach the Hawks for as long as he wants". Welllllll, I'm starting to turn a corner on that a little bit.

We did NOT have to end the second half of the season like this. Sans Adams, the pieces were in place. They were certainly in place enough to mount a lions like comeback in October, weren't they. Dug ourselves out of that hole, didn't we?

Attitude Attitude Attitude. We lost it. And that's on Pete. Don't get it twisted - this isn't a "fire pete" thread.

But I'm not happy with it. Pissed away our potential this year, that's what we did. And I still maintain that it started with Claudius... er... Rog giving us the thumbs down in Munich. I think that broke our back - for all the reasons mentioned in another thread.

Not. Good. Enough. Particularly when you've shown us the promised land within the last 8 weeks with the same dammed people. Dissapointing.

Now if they'd just sucked A** from the start of the season? A little more understandable. People don't work out/etc. But not this way.