All I Saw Tonight...

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xjwkbog said:
olyfan63":1xjwkbog said:
Ace_Rimmer":1xjwkbog said:
Might be a good idea to shut RW down for the year so as not to hurt his trade value more? Spin it as the season was lost, and we want him to heal up.

Yeah, seems like Russell being "figured out" by the rest of the league could already be killing his trade value, magnified by his recent ineffective play. Ever since the Cards overtime loss during the failed "Let Russ cook" campaign, the game where the Cards figured out in 4Q & OT that 2 deep safeties was the way to perplex and confuse Russell, the rest of the league seems to have had his number.

How does shutting Russell down help his trade value?

You'd be shutting him down at the bottom of his trade value, injured and playing terribly. You have to keep running him out there and hope he improves. That's it, that's your trade value.........because benching Russell now tells the rest of the league he's done.

Good points. I agree playing the "damaged goods" Russell has already hurt his trade value quite a bit, and with your assertion that Russell's trade value may now be at its lowest. I was thinking more like a scenario where Russell is given a couple games off to fully heal and get right, and then comes back strong and the offense starts to click. Shutting him down *for the year * was Ace's concept, and agreed, likely to keep his trade value at its current low level.

If I was an NFL GM evaluating whether to trade for Russell, right now I would be looking at his huge drop-off in play and in W/L results (2-6 W-L this year), and would consider it a very risky option. It's hard to tell which factor is leading to Russell getting crap for results.
Is it...
* Because the talent around him is crap
* Is the new Waldron scheme (thus far) crap, and/or. not a fit for Wilson
* Has Russell has lost that "it" factor due to a) aging/loss of athletic ability b) Loss of focus & desire, or c) the league-wide "book" on how to play Russell has neutralized his strengths such that he'll never be a top QB again unless he makes massive adjustments, or d) Some combination of, or all of, the above.

toffee

Reaction score
James in PA":3t4qr7wq said:
"ALWAYS COMPETE ..... unless it pertains to Russell Wilson."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the source of downfall for Pete as a coach, and Hawks as a team. When other stars voice the obvious, Pete removed them, when asked why he gutted the team for one player? Pete's response was I don't care. That prompted me to joke that for whatever reason, Pete sold his soul to Russ after our first super bowl.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Optimus25":3c2qdqb8 said:
hawkfan68":3c2qdqb8 said:
Maybe Pete should go with Geno but I don't believe they would have had any better results than what we're seeing now. Not trashing Geno, but that's just what he is. They Seahawks couldn't beat the Saints or the Steelers with him at QB. Both teams are on the downslide. The Lions almost beat the Steelers.

What I saw last night was an Oline (specifically Pocic and Fuller) who looked like they have given up on the season. When there are 3-4 guys in your face right at the snap, it becomes very difficult. Russ is lucky he didn't get sacked more than twice. Geno Smith wouldn't have fared any better under the circumstances. While Russ could have been better, he was not the main reason in the loss. It was that they were decimated by WFT in the trenches - DL/OL. That even after WFT was down to their 3rd string center.

Here we go. The too much pressure excuses…

He didn’t have too much pressure when he missed a read deep middle and instead chucked it to a not open DK.

One of the sacks he didn’t have to take also. Just held the ball forever and then inexplicably took the sack that no other QB in the league would have. This is the time of year you see more interior pressure and elite QBs are supposed to get the ball out to the correct read.

Between Shane and Russ we just flat out sucked and there is no way on earth Geno would have done worse. It’s just not even possible unless he took every snap and threw it in the stands.

Pointing to one play doesn't constitute he wasn't under pressure the whole game. He was. Blocking, or the lack thereof, was a big contributing factor in the Seahawks losing the game yesterday. Fuller was out of place at LG and couldn't stop a snail from coming through. Pocic didn't help much either. 12 carries for 34 yards goes to show the blocking was very ineffective.

While all this doesn't excuse RW's play, as he didn't play well, but to ignore dismal OL play as factoring in the loss is not addressing the whole issue. It was a combination of bad OL and QB play that led to this loss.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Aros":1uy6kygh said:
Russell Wilson is clearly not healthy. You cannot tell me all those overthrows are anything other than his finger affecting his trajectory and ability to throw the ball accurately. Sure he can get some decent balls out here and there but anyone who can't see he is not able to throw accurately and effectively due to his finger injury which is NOT FULLY HEALED is a damn fool.

But what ANGERS me to no end is that our head coach, Pete Carroll, is too afraid to do the right thing and sit Russell in favor of a healthy Geno Smith. He is so afraid of the aftermath of doing that, whether it's from Russ, the media, or fans, or hell, even ownership...He cowers and does nothing.

Feels like a lame duck to me.

This is a game we would have won 10 out of 10 times in the past 10 years.

The season is lost. And what an utter shame. With such talent. With better coaching and scheming we are still in the hunt for the division.

The fat lady has sung.

Yes sir! Russ has stunk up the joint for a majority of this year. We still have some games to play, but the offseason officially begins NOW. What we (as a team) do from this moment forward will determine our foreseeable future. And it appears we will be doing it short of some really good draft spots.