Anyone Scouting the Falcons?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I know they made a bunch of roster changes , but have been looking mostly at our division. Reports are they're looking for a big season from the QB. I have questions about their RB situation, they got Gurley from the Rams but he ain't what he used to be...or at least doesn't figure to be. They drafted some promising rookies. Unsure how that's coming along for them.
They made defensive personnel changes. I don't know what were upgrades or budget moves.
Anyone know anything about our game 1 foe?

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Here's something to start with: https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/tak ... -scrimmage
"Great start from the first-team offense

The Falcons' starters took the field first during the scrimmage, and the offense already looked to be in game-day mode. Beginning their drive near the 20-yard line, the offense quickly moved closer to midfield with a big run to the right by Todd Gurley and a pass to Calvin Ridley on a crossing pattern.

Another great run from Brian Hill behind left guard moved the Falcons' offense into opposing territory, and the unit then showed its quick-strike ability. Behind good protection, Matt Ryan delivered a perfectly placed pass to Ridley on a deep route down the right sideline for a long touchdown. Rookie corner A.J. Terrell was guarding Ridley and was running step-for-step with him for most of the route until the third-year receiver hit a final gear and found space in the cushion he created near the sideline."
"What knee problems? In his first action at Mercedes-Benz Stadium as a member of the Falcons, Gurley showed off his speed, agility and vision to break off several nice runs. He scored the second touchdown of the afternoon for the starting offense, taking a goal-line carry off the right end and diving between two would-be tacklers to make it to the end zone.

Impressively, he took one handoff during the scoring drive and, seeing the middle of the field was clogged up, turned and sprinted towards the left sideline. He outran contain and got the edge despite not having any blockers out on the left-hand side of the play to buy him time. It was a display of how quickly Gurley could reach top speed and it did not disappoint."

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
OK. So you aren't interesting in looking at our week one foe. What is you add in this stat...Seahawks have only won ONE season opener on the road during Coach Pete's tenure. Maybe having only 20% fans in attendance will work in our favor? We're just too good to lose?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm absolutely interested. Don't care what their record was last year, they finished strong and have a damn good offense. Should be a tough game and a close win, again. That's how we do it in Seattle :irishdrinkers:

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm definitely not sleeping on the Falcons. Pete's September road record is not good. The Seahawks under Pete Carroll are 5-13 in September road games. In fact, this game worries me more than any others on the schedule at the moment because of the aforementioned September struggles as well as the the inevitable time it will take for the o-line to gel.

I also think the Falcons may be one of the harder teams to predict this year. They got off to a terrible start last year but then really turned things around. Which version are we going to see? Hopefully they have another slow start.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't sleep on the Falcons either. The above poster is spot on.

I honestly haven't looked at one thing football since the draft... with all the social garbage now I don't even know if I'm going to turn the games on. It is going to be an interesting NFC South this year... You have the ??? Falcons to go with the Saints and Bucs. Too bad we don't see Brady till I think weeks 15 and 17. As for week 1... if I had to bet on it... with the Falcons offense and at home... I'll take Atlanta winning before I take Seattle winning a September road game. The Falcons do have a lot of weapons. Ridley is a beast... and paired with Julio? Wow. If Gurley even resembles his former self the Falcons will be potent.

If the game were here I'd be picking Seattle.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":jhm1nor5 said:

I honestly haven't looked at one thing football since the draft... with all the social garbage now I don't even know if I'm going to turn the games on. It is going to be an interesting NFC South this year... You have the ??? Falcons to go with the Saints and Bucs. Too bad we don't see Brady till I think weeks 15 and 17. As for week 1... if I had to bet on it... with the Falcons offense and at home... I'll take Atlanta winning before I take Seattle winning a September road game. The Falcons do have a lot of weapons. Ridley is a beast... and paired with Julio? Wow. If Gurley even resembles his former self the Falcons will be potent.

Good luck.

If you find time to dive into it, how do you see the Falcon's defense being this year, especially for game 1?

You mention their receivers, which are definitely good (and they're expecting a banner year performance out of Ryan), but how good will they be vs our secondary? And conversely, look at what we have for a receiver roster this year. How do you think the Falcon secondary is gonna cope with that (SERIOUS speed across the board)?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Finally we'll have a secondary somewhat capable of keeping up with their WRs. I hope. We shall see...

chet380

Reaction score
Watch out for TE Hayden -- 1st Rd draft pick by the Ravens -- played b/h Mark Andrews ... traded to Atlanta for a 2nd Rd pick ... I noticed him when he caught a pass in the flat and outran the DBs -- looked as fast as Kittle.

skater18000

Reaction score
The way this game's gonna go is...

Seattle shows it's prowess over a young and hungry team that come Sunday, ends up making just one too many mistakes :>

Seattle having basically a slight advantage almost everywhere across the board, expect maybe in game coaching.

-Slight edge at the majority of position groups
-Seattle's passing game give shall march on the young secondary expected to start Sunday

Matt Ryan and those boys will have their hands full with a rejoiced "Legion" type secondary of new!
Expect a new secondary member of Seattle to cause a turnover.
Expect Julio to get his...
I may be starting C.Ridley this week in fantasy, but I'm having my second thoughts about it

Seattle has the advantage of being greater than or equal to at these position groups:

- QB vs Pass Rush:
I'd hate to think we'd be in trouble here with their defensive front, but on the flip-side Bruce Irvin spent the last year chasing after Matt Ryan so, it could go either way -_-

- RB vs. LB:
-LB vs RB
Both Potential Tie-W. (really depends on Gurley)

-DB vs WR/TE:
(Dunbar/Adams vs.Ridley/Hurst) Win

-Special teams:
My biggest worry, hopefully no big returns and we get some of our own for some good field position

There's a chance this game comes down to a game winning kick and I like our chances!

GO HAWKS!

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2tul37fm said:
FalconsFanNW":2tul37fm said:

Good luck.

If you find time to dive into it, how do you see the Falcon's defense being this year, especially for game 1?

You mention their receivers, which are definitely good (and they're expecting a banner year performance out of Ryan), but how good will they be vs our secondary? And conversely, look at what we have for a receiver roster this year. How do you think the Falcon secondary is gonna cope with that (SERIOUS speed across the board)?

I don't put any stock into the Falcons D. At all. They've proven year after year they can't close the deal. Atlanta this year will be the same old same old... winning games 44-38... and losing games 34-31.

It's a shame too because they've had a lot of talent on D these last few years with Jarrett, Jones, Neal.. guys like Kazee and Senat are promising too. I have to blame the coaching. Dan Quinn I used to be a huge fan of... but not so much anymore. I'm convinced his resume was padded by the 2013-2014 Seattle defense he was coaching... because he hasn't done much of anything in Atlanta. Sure we've had a good run... and should have won a Super Bowl... but that was all offense... all Kyle Shanahan... (who I also blame for losing it, so seeing him lose to KC last year in the same fashion was sweet justice) Still, gotta blame Quinn, he's the head coach.

In Quinn's defense Atlanta did have quite a few defensive injuries the last couple years which is why I think Blank didn't pull the plug... I think 2020 is make it or break it for Quinn. Without a deep playoff run I think he's gone.

As for the game, I'll take Atlanta at home in a close one on Sunday. A total shot in the dark with no preseason games... just betting on the offense getting it done and Seattle not being able to stop all the weapons Atlanta has.

Good luck!

Latest posts