Back-to-back Thursday night games??

RiverDog

Reaction score
We came in 1-2 years before Tampa and the conferences were already unbalanced because of us.
Tampa and us started play in the same year, 1976. We each played in different conferences in our first two seasons before we moved to our permanent home in 1978 with us going to the AFC and Tampa to the NFC.

The only time the league was unbalanced was in 1999-2001 when they awarded a 31st franchise to Cleveland to replace the Browns, who had moved to Baltimore and become the Ravens.

We did not voluntarily leave the AFC. When the Houston Texans started play in 2002 and brought the total teams to 32, the league went through a major realignment. They wanted to keep the original AFL franchises, ie KC, Den, Oak, and SD, in the same division as much as possible, so we were the odd man out.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm thinking the very same but we need to win to make it relevant and take full advantage after. But we get a Thanksgiving game against Dallas? You know the Seahawks in prime time we are usually a total lock since we began.
Our Thanksgiving game is at home vs. the Niners in the nightcap, ie 5:20 PT kickoff. We play on the road vs. the Cowpies the following Thursday.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tampa and us started play in the same year, 1976. We each played in different conferences in our first two seasons before we moved to our permanent home in 1978 with us going to the AFC and Tampa to the NFC.

The only time the league was unbalanced was in 1999-2001 when they awarded a 31st franchise to Cleveland to replace the Browns, who had moved to Baltimore and become the Ravens.

We did not voluntarily leave the AFC. When the Houston Texans started play in 2002 and brought the total teams to 32, the league went through a major realignment. They wanted to keep the original AFL franchises, ie KC, Den, Oak, and SD, in the same division as much as possible, so we were the odd man out.
Think want you like. it was a backroom deal until realignment you actually admitted it and spelled it out without the actual reason awesome. We went back to the NFC West a year or two earlier when realignment actually happened before expansion the 32.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Our Thanksgiving game is at home vs. the Niners in the nightcap, ie 5:20 PT kickoff. We play on the road vs. the Cowpies the following Thursday.
That's what I'd call make or break fair and square. I like our chances in prime time and like Pete in said games.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
There was another expansion team at the same time I just don't remember who.
We came in 1-2 years before Tampa and the conferences were already unbalanced because of us.

Y'know, if you have internet access and the ability to read and write, which are obviously prerequisites for you having posted your previous messages, I don't get why you don't use those resources and, say, check what team entered the NFL with the Seahawks or when the Buccaneers joined the NFL.

Spoiler alert: the two answers are very closely related.
The Seahawks and Buccaneers were both created in 1974 and both had their respective first NFL seasons in 1976.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was mistaken about our beginnings. We started out in the NFC in 1976 then moved permanently to the AFC the following year.

From 1977-2001, we played in the AFC West. We moved to the NFC West following realignment in 2002. Those are the only two times that we have changed conferences and/or divisions.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Wasn't the last time we played the Niners on Thanksgiving night where the gif of Carroll chewing gum came from?

kidhawk

Reaction score
There was another expansion team at the same time I just don't remember who.
We came into the league with the Bucs in '76. They were in the AFC and we were in the NFC. There was a realignment in '77 and they moved to the NFC Central and we moved to the AFC west

RiverDog

Reaction score
We came into the league with the Bucs in '76. They were in the AFC and we were in the NFC. There was a realignment in '77 and they moved to the NFC Central and we moved to the AFC west
Yep. We played all 13 NFC opponents plus one game against our expansion sister Tampa Bay, a game which we won and was our first win ever in the regular season. We won one other game that season, vs. the Falcons. The Bucs finished the season winless and went on to set a record for most consecutive losses.

John McKay was the Bucs coach and came up with the best one-liner that any coach has ever given at a press conference. When McKay was asked what he thought about the execution of his offense, he answered "I'm all for it!"

rjdriver

Reaction score

We actually both came into the NFL in 76'. We were the two expansion franchises that year.

Unless you mean something about the conferences, than if so, my bad.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
To be technically accurate, both teams played their first NFL seasons in 1976. They actually entered the league prior to that, when the NFL awarded franchises to the two respective ownership groups in 1974.

On the topic of two consecutive Thursday games, I like it. TNF games are a pain on a short week, but if you can make a TNF game not have a short week, then I don't care.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Wasn't the last time we played the Niners on Thanksgiving night where the gif of Carroll chewing gum came from?
I wouldn't know. All I remember from that game is on the post game show, Russell and Sherman on the field and eating turkey drumsticks, with Sherman taking a huge bite and chewing it. I think Sherman picked off Kaepernick in that game.

The only other time...at least according to my flawed memory...that we played on Thanksgiving Day was when we beat the Cowboys, with Steve Largent turning Emerson Walls inside out on a route to a TD pass in a game we won handily. Must have been early 80's.

sc85sis

Reaction score

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I wouldn't know. All I remember from that game is on the post game show, Russell and Sherman on the field and eating turkey drumsticks, with Sherman taking a huge bite and chewing it. I think Sherman picked off Kaepernick in that game.

The only other time...at least according to my flawed memory...that we played on Thanksgiving Day was when we beat the Cowboys, with Steve Largent turning Emerson Walls inside out on a route to a TD pass in a game we won handily. Must have been early 80's.
If I remember correctly, that was the 1985 season. That Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys came after 4 or 5 consecutive losses that had pretty much crushed our playoff hopes. Chuck Knox simplified the game plan a bit, and the Seahawks just went off in that game. I think we scored TDs the first four times we touched the ball.

That mid-season slide was just enough to keep us out of the playoffs. If we'd have won the tiebreaker that kept us out that year, we would have won the Super Bowl. Nobody was going to beat us the way we were playing at the end of that season.

All this is coming from almost 40 year old memories, so if I'm wrong about any of it, please don't be too harsh.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, that was the 1985 season. That Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys came after 4 or 5 consecutive losses that had pretty much crushed our playoff hopes. Chuck Knox simplified the game plan a bit, and the Seahawks just went off in that game. I think we scored TDs the first four times we touched the ball.

That mid-season slide was just enough to keep us out of the playoffs. If we'd have won the tiebreaker that kept us out that year, we would have won the Super Bowl. Nobody was going to beat us the way we were playing at the end of that season.

All this is coming from almost 40 year old memories, so if I'm wrong about any of it, please don't be too harsh.
IIRC; weren't we 12-4 tied with the Raiders that year and lost the tiebreaker?

pmedic920

Reaction score
What's with the scheduling this year? The Seahawks are playing two games on Thursday Night against first the 49ers at home on Nov 23, then the Cowboys on the 30th in Dallas. Has this ever happened before? I've noticed the hawks aren't playing on Sunday Night this season unless they get flexed in. Kind of strange.

Also, that portion of the schedule is kinda crazy.

49ers,
@Dallas,
@49ers

all within 3 weeks.

Ha.

You missed the Eagles in that same stretch (4 week) it’s been discussed previously but that’s a brutal four weeks.

My hope is that we “kill it”, but that could be a 4 loss playoff hopes killer.

pmedic920

Reaction score
To be technically accurate, both teams played their first NFL seasons in 1976. They actually entered the league prior to that, when the NFL awarded franchises to the two respective ownership groups in 1974.

On the topic of two consecutive Thursday games, I like it. TNF games are a pain on a short week, but if you can make a TNF game not have a short week, then I don't care.
I became a Seahawk fan in 1974 before I even knew what the team would be called.

Yep, it was announced in 1974 that Washington State (Seattle) would be getting a team.

I vowed then that I would be a fan until death do us part (or until they are no longer “The Seattle Seahawks”).

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I became a Seahawk fan in 1974 before I even knew what the team would be called.

Yep, it was announced in 1974 that Washington State (Seattle) would be getting a team.

I vowed then that I would be a fan until death do us part (or until they are no longer “The Seattle Seahawks”).
Yep. I tell people that I've been a Seahawks fan since before they were a team. Occasionally I have to explain it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
IIRC; weren't we 12-4 tied with the Raiders that year and lost the tiebreaker?
I think it was 10-6, and we were tied with the Bengals. In 1984 we were 12-4 and lost the tiebreaker with the Broncos.

Actually, I think the Broncos were 13-3 that year, but we were tied going into the final week.