Bottom line

LTH

Reaction score
The D is designed so everything works together.

1. They have to stop the run
2. They have to get pressure on the QB

Vs the Rams They were not able to get pressure on the Qb and because of that they got torched on the back end.

If they get pressure on the QB, this is a different game from the Defensive perspective.

Some might say we'll this has been a problem for a long time.
The truth is the Hawks addressed the problem with DJ. who really thought the Hawks pass rush was going to be an issue?

I don't think it is going to be an issue. I just think they need to fall into the scheme learning to play together. It going to take a few games.

Just massive over reactions from the fan base IMO.

Thoughts?

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Disagree.
The reasons we lost are likely to be the reasons there is a ceiling on this team.

But I also think that was as bad a loss as we will see all year.
This staff beats the bottom half of the league, which should give us close to a .500 record.

But our defense is going to struggle. We will need the secondary to play like last year (unlikely) and we will need the offense to carry this team.

The offense failed in our last game, and the defense was going to struggle anyway. If the offense can get back to putting 24+ pt games together (likely 28), we have a chance.
If not, we don't. But we should win enough to at least tread water.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
With only 3 games to see if the rooks pan out, it takes a lot more practice for the team to gel. I figure 3 games in we should see improvement. Just need to hold the line for 2 weeks and see what happens.

But that is pretty much every year now.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that this performance was a carbon copy of the shit defenses of the last couple of seasons. Run D was better but despite the personnel changes, that on paper should have made our pass rush better, it was the same jack shit result. As many have pointed out, the defensive scheme prohibits a lot of players from utilizing their skills properly so despite it being only one game, it was at home, with high expectations, against a bunch of no names on a rebuilding team and it was the same directionless, ineffective, TOP deficient, anemic result. Yes, it’s only one game and it might be the low point of the season defensively, I think it’s fair to take a sky is falling outlook because the product on the field was identical to the problematic results of the last few seasons.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Taylor still looks kinda bad, Mafe supposedly had a great camp, Nwosu had a TFL but didn't really do much, Jones was supposed to be the next Michael Bennett - but he wasn't disruptive at all, Reed had a nice blocked punt. None of them moved Stafford off the spot. There was literally zero pressures. And this was against a rebuilt Rams oline with rookies starting. We'll see what happens this Sunday against a better oline.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
With only 3 games to see if the rooks pan out, it takes a lot more practice for the team to gel. I figure 3 games in we should see improvement. Just need to hold the line for 2 weeks and see what happens.

But that is pretty much every year now.
If you look at that pick play for 44 yards that is correctable that was about communication between Brown and Diggs. How many snaps has Brown actually have he is still learning. Also I'm not sure the Hawks have decided who is going to start because of all the subs.

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Taylor still looks kinda bad, Mafe supposedly had a great camp, Nwosu had a TFL but didn't really do much, Jones was supposed to be the next Michael Bennett - but he wasn't disruptive at all, Reed had a nice blocked punt. None of them moved Stafford off the spot. There was literally zero pressures. And this was against a rebuilt Rams oline with rookies starting. We'll see what happens this Sunday against a better oline.
They definitely had a problem getting home with 4 lineman let's see how they adjust.

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Disagree.
The reasons we lost are likely to be the reasons there is a ceiling on this team.

But I also think that was as bad a loss as we will see all year.
This staff beats the bottom half of the league, which should give us close to a .500 record.

But our defense is going to struggle. We will need the secondary to play like last year (unlikely) and we will need the offense to carry this team.

The offense failed in our last game, and the defense was going to struggle anyway. If the offense can get back to putting 24+ pt games together (likely 28), we have a chance.
If not, we don't. But we should win enough to at least tread water.
I would say that it way to early to come to those conclusions. Looking at the first half they looked sharp on O ... they were not perfect and there is some things to learn. I think there is some reason to be concerned because they lost the starting tackles... that's concerning... It was JSN first game and he was playing hurt, he dropped a couple of balls. I don't blame everyone for being concerned, I just don't think we should flush the season down the toilet because of one game. It's NOT how you start its how you finish and that has always been the way it is on Carroll's team.

LTH

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
It's NOT how you start its how you finish and that has always been the way it is on Carroll's team.

LTH
But when your team misses the playoffs or a better seed because they started off slow, it DOES matter how you start. Every single game should be important up to quite possibly the last one depending on if it matters in playoff seed or not.

It feels like they shoot themselves in the foot every year because of slow starts, with "it's not how you start but how you finish" being the main excuse said...

I know there have been other teams better than ours that lost last weekend, but do you think that's okay with them because "it's how you finish that matters"? **** no, I guarantee Bengals, Chiefs, etc are probably more pissed off than our players are, or at least that's how it looked during our game. "You win some, you lose some" is alright if you're not being paid millions of dollars to care.

The real bottom line is this: Changes need to be made to improve or else this is our purgatory.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I just think At least in the last few years that Carroll is playing his rookies early so they are prepared and contributing for later on in the season. The scheme they are running is complicated and it takes a few games to get comfortable it takes a while for these guys to gel.

That's just my take

LTH

knownone

Reaction score
I mostly agree. It's 100% an overreaction to a bad half.

While the game may have felt similar to prior seasons, the problems were different. And that's skewing perceptions for many fans. For them, the same ole defense can't get off the field, preventing the offense from gaining a rhythm. However, regarding the Rams game, these fans might be confusing cause and effect to fit that explanation. Instead, I'd argue the offense falling apart is why the defense looked terrible. If the defense got any help, this is likely a one-possession game in the fourth.

Despite playing awful on third down, this wasn't the sloppy defense of years prior that was both physically outmatched and often out of position. That gives me a reason to believe Sunday was more of an outlier than anything.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
Not trying to sound like I’m defending the lackluster play of the edge guys this past game. However it’s clear we are terrible at pressuring QBs through the middle. I’m not sure how many times me and my younger brother would mention how the middle of the oline would part our Dline like the Red Sea. QBs like stafford or any QB with a pulse will kill us being able to see the middle of the field.

The edge rushers have to be special to beat the tackle and come around and get the QB. Without any push up the middle those edge rushers just keep getting pushed high and away.

If our DTs can’t pressure by themselves then the coaches should just start blitzing. We are already getting gashed at least with a blitz we may get pressure and put the QB on his toes.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Not to devalue Reed’s block, I’m a big fan of the big man, but probably any of us could’ve blocked that kick if the OG blocked out instead of in like he did.

hoxrox

Reaction score
If our DTs can’t pressure by themselves then the coaches should just start blitzing. We are already getting gashed at least with a blitz we may get pressure and put the QB on his toes.
They tried a LB blitz with Bobby on that rub route play. But it was so obvious.. Stafford told the back to pick it up and he did. Had there been just a little disruption there, that big play doesn't happen.

cymatica

Reaction score
I just think At least in the last few years that Carroll is playing his rookies early so they are prepared and contributing for later on in the season. The scheme they are running is complicated and it takes a few games to get comfortable it takes a while for these guys to gel.

That's just my take

LTH

That was the excuse last year, they never fixed anything all season. We were then led to believe an off-season and some new faces on the front 7 would help, they had no pressure and we're getting shredded on the back end.

I also don't buy for a second that they have a defense more complicated than most teams. If that were the case, Stafford wouldn't have been able to know exactly where the holes in the zones would be with perfect anticipation. He didn't look confused or frustrated at all. Nothing was disguised and not only did they telegraph blitzes, when trying to make it look like a blitz they would start backing off well before the snap.

If the defense is complicated, it's because the coaches are not good at teaching it

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
That was the excuse last year, they never fixed anything all season. We were then led to believe an off-season and some new faces on the front 7 would help, they had no pressure and we're getting shredded on the back end.

I also don't buy for a second that they have a defense more complicated than most teams. If that were the case, Stafford wouldn't have been able to know exactly where the holes in the zones would be with perfect anticipation. He didn't look confused or frustrated at all. Nothing was disguised and not only did they telegraph blitzes, when trying to make it look like a blitz they would start backing off well before the snap.

If the defense is complicated, it's because the coaches are not good at teaching it
Oh I see... so your suggesting that the rookies or 2nd year players should just jump in and play at a probably level the first game? That's NOT how it works some times it takes 2 or 3 years for a player to play to his potential. TW was an exception to the rule. I even expect him to keep learning. Good luck with that theory

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
They tried a LB blitz with Bobby on that rub route play. But it was so obvious.. Stafford told the back to pick it up and he did. Had there been just a little disruption there, that big play doesn't happen.
Yeah l ookrd like Taylor tripped and cut off Wagners access

Scout

Reaction score
I am not worried about the edge rushers finding a groove as they will throughout the season. The issue is that Hurtt needs to be a little more creative to help create variety in pressuring a vet QB like Stafford and other QBs in this league. Can't rely on front four pressure all the time.