Bottom line

morgulon1

Reaction score
I predicted another 9-8 season for this season. Partially because of not being sure if Geno Smith was the real deal or he might come back to earth a little.
I was all in thinking this defense would go up several notches . Or at least a few notches.

It's the second game and they could very easily be 0-2 after this weekend. I hope they play better and make progress. It's going to be difficult without their starting tackles.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
In affect it was basically the fourth preseason game. It was the first game all the starters played together. Bound to be some steep learning curves with a young roster. Pete ALWAYS tinkers with things anyway until he finds the right mix. I’ve believed for years that he takes the first part of the season as an extension of preseason. Slow starts or acceptable losses? One team has ever gone undefeated. One. Losses are inevitable. Maybe this his his way of managing them.

I believe his mantra of winning in the 4th quarter can also be used over the entire season. You can win a game in the fourth quarter. You can be a playoff team in the fourth quarter of a season.

After 13(?) years of this pattern of slow starts the only thing that makes sense is that he looks at these early games as acceptable losses. He’s playing the long game. It’s one loss. He has 16 more games to find the right mixes of guys and schemes for it to gel together. I believe that team we all had high hopes for is still there. Give them young’uns just a little bit of time.

Be patient my fellow blue blooded friends. I went into this season believing it was going to be special. That hasn’t changed.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
As others have said, I'm more concerned about having lost Lucas and Cross than the other stuff. One bad game doesn't mean anything. But going forward without our two starting tackles? I don't see how that ends well.
I predicted another 9-8 season for this season. Partially because of not being sure if Geno Smith was the real deal or he might come back to earth a little.
I was all in thinking this defense would go up several notches . Or at least a few notches.

It's the second game and they could very easily be 0-2 after this weekend. I hope they play better and make progress. It's going to be difficult without their starting tackles.
It's certainly not the most ideal situation that's for sure but maybe the guys they pick up at Tackle will be just good enough. I expect a loss vs Detroit but you never know Pete likes being the underdog let's see what he brings...

LTH

cymatica

Reaction score
Oh I see... so your suggesting that the rookies or 2nd year players should just jump in and play at a probably level the first game? That's NOT how it works some times it takes 2 or 3 years for a player to play to his potential. TW was an exception to the rule. I even expect him to keep learning. Good luck with that theory
Not sure what a "probably" level is, but the way they are coaching up the defense has produced below average results for several years, and they've shown repeatedly that they cannot adjust to how other teams are taking advantage of them.

The excuse of a complicated scheme is hogwash. Of course I don't expect rooks or 2nd year players to master a defense, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that teams have figured out Pete's defense, no matter who gets plugged in, and he is unable to adapt. This is probably why they aquire good players from other teams who all of the sudden get abused in this defense, there's already another thread and breakdown that proves this.

Pete struck lightning in a bottle in the LOB era with some incredible drafts and player acquisitions, combined with a great supporting cast of coaches, and a defense that wasn't figured out yet... at least with the players he had. The rules have changed and the league evolved, but Pete has not. He's obviously trying to change things, I'll give him that, but so far he has failed to adapt.

So you go ahead and delude yourself and act like they just need more time when we have 5+ years of abysmal defense, and a horrible performance against a Rams team that has a bunch of young players and JAGs

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Not sure what a "probably" level is, but the way they are coaching up the defense has produced below average results for several years, and they've shown repeatedly that they cannot adjust to how other teams are taking advantage of them.

The excuse of a complicated scheme is hogwash. Of course I don't expect rooks or 2nd year players to master a defense, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that teams have figured out Pete's defense, no matter who gets plugged in, and he is unable to adapt. This is probably why they aquire good players from other teams who all of the sudden get abused in this defense, there's already another thread and breakdown that proves this.

Pete struck lightning in a bottle in the LOB era with some incredible drafts and player acquisitions, combined with a great supporting cast of coaches, and a defense that wasn't figured out yet... at least with the players he had. The rules have changed and the league evolved, but Pete has not. He's obviously trying to change things, I'll give him that, but so far he has failed to adapt.

So you go ahead and delude yourself and act like they just need more time when we have 5+ years of abysmal defense, and a horrible performance against a Rams team that has a bunch of young players and JAGs
I get it you were done 5 years ago. The season is over.. don't even bother watching it...no hope ,no nothing, just a helpless view of a season that was over 5 years ago... boy you must really be having a rough time... I feel sorry for you.. what can I do to make your day better?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
As others have said, I'm more concerned about having lost Lucas and Cross than the other stuff. One bad game doesn't mean anything. But going forward without our two starting tackles? I don't see how that ends well.
Yeah I’m thinking they’ll be ok if they can scheme better and turn Goff over. If not we’ll be 0-2

cymatica

Reaction score
I get it you were done 5 years ago. The season is over.. don't even bother watching it...no hope ,no nothing, just a helpless view of a season that was over 5 years ago... boy you must really be having a rough time... I feel sorry for you.. what can I do to make your day better?
No you don't get it at all, I wasn't done 5 years ago. Apparently you can't accept the reality of a pattern that has been repeating for 5 years though.

strohmin

Reaction score
I would say that it way to early to come to those conclusions. Looking at the first half they looked sharp on O ... they were not perfect and there is some things to learn. I think there is some reason to be concerned because they lost the starting tackles... that's concerning... It was JSN first game and he was playing hurt, he dropped a couple of balls. I don't blame everyone for being concerned, I just don't think we should flush the season down the toilet because of one game. It's NOT how you start its how you finish and that has always been the way it is on Carroll's team.

LTH
Carroll hasn't finished a season well since he made that dumb decision. Carroll does very well talking about his philosophy but fails miserably when it comes to executing. We lost pretty badly week one and Pete's presser showed how shocked he was that they didnt execute. The make up of this team doesn't inspire confidence that they'll respond with a sense of urgency. Carroll is more concerned about making his way of trying to win work than actual winning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. We need to see a larger sample size of patterns before we start pointing fingers or coming up with any sort of fully formed conclusions. One game does not a sample size make.

2. I think so much effort and attention to detail was put into fixing the run D that they forgot about the pass rush. Staying in gaps, not penetrating too far up field opening up run lanes, setting the edge.

It's all a fine balance between doing the two things well. IMO there was obviously a BIG emphasis and attention the entire off season and camp paid to not getting gashed leading up to the Rams opener, that the pass rush suffered.

Let's see if there's a balance the next couple of weeks, or if we do indeed see some new problematic patterns emerging about this version of the front seven.

cymatica

Reaction score
1. We need to see a larger sample size of patterns before we start pointing fingers or coming up with any sort of fully formed conclusions. One game does not a sample size make.

2. I think so much effort and attention to detail was put into fixing the run D that they forgot about the pass rush. Staying in gaps, not penetrating too far up field opening up run lanes, setting the edge.

It's all a fine balance between doing the two things well. IMO there was obviously a BIG emphasis and attention the entire off season and camp paid to not getting gashed leading up to the Rams opener, that the pass rush suffered.

Let's see if there's a balance the next couple of weeks, or if we do indeed see some new problematic patterns emerging about this version of the front seven.
It's not a 1 game sample size. It's a re-occuring pattern spanning several years with different coordinators, that's why people are upset. I was hoping this front 7 might bring a little more spark, but they couldn't get any pressure. Carter had more pressure than our entire team.

Ok fine, maybe our stacked secondary could mitigate the weakness..... nope. Gave up 3rd down all day and couldn't figure out how to defend the middle from a rookie and a jag wr.

bileever

Reaction score
I think we have to remember that the twists and turns of an NFL season are myriad, unknowable and ultimately up to the football gods. How different our spirits would be if the 49ers had lost their two tackles. Let us hope the gods are merciful.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not a 1 game sample size. It's a re-occuring pattern spanning several years with different coordinators, that's why people are upset. I was hoping this front 7 might bring a little more spark, but they couldn't get any pressure. Carter had more pressure than our entire team.

Ok fine, maybe our stacked secondary could mitigate the weakness..... nope. Gave up 3rd down all day and couldn't figure out how to defend the middle from a rookie and a jag wr.

The Hawks D stopped the run well Sunday, that is not the same pattern as prior years.

I'm not defending the staff, but it's not the same problems. So far.

Seahawker

Reaction score

We've had a plenty large enough sample size, 5+ seasons, 50 game sample size.

This is a scheme problem.
This is a coaching problem.
This is a horses up front problem.
This is a take no prisoners, winning mentality, want it more problem.
This is a young team learning their positions on the fly while trying to form a team bond issue.

A lot to overcome, but Seahawk fans have always had to deal with adversity & pain. Let's try to have some patience and hope adjustments are made, this young talent hits the ground running and they get pissed off about losing.

cymatica

Reaction score
The Hawks D stopped the run well Sunday, that is not the same pattern as prior years.

I'm not defending the staff, but it's not the same problems. So far.
I think it is the same pattern. The run game hasn't been the only issue, teams have been sustaining long drives with relative ease for years now, the run defense was just so bad last year that it overshadowed everything else.