Brian Schottenheimer

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is not the hire I would have made, and I am underwhelmed, but I'm going to give it a chance. This has a chance to be good.

Schottenheimer did a fine job, I think, running the offense even with probably the worst QB in the NFL at the helm. It's hard to succeed with Sanchez at the helm.

The Rams had Jeff Fisher at the helm. Jeff Fisher is awful. His time in STL under Fisher may not be an accurate assessment of Schotty's skill. He also had nothing at QB.

At Georgia, he was under Richt - an offensive coach. How much of the failure belonged to Richt over Schotty?

He's been QB coach in Indy for past 2 years. Brissett has improved slightly, was pretty damn bad in college. Brees loved Schotty.

I'm willing to give it a schott. (HA!) Coaches constantly develop their philosophy as we have seen with Pete. Schotty has a wealth of experience that he may be able to put to good use with a near-MVP caliber QB.

GLio14

Reaction score
Don't really know much about him other than being Marty's son. A little concerning he was the QB coach in Indy. Was really hoping for DeFilippo.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":6ubm3hn4 said:
That Ram fans are happy about this is clearly a red flag....

Imagine our reaction if an NFC west foe hired Bevell.

Doesn't mean anything concrete of course, but it sure would have been nice if Pete would have taken a bit of a risk here with an innovator rather than a safe, retread, yes man that won't ruffle his feathers.

You're sure giving Rams fans a lot of credit here, HP.

If Schottenheimer is hired, we'll have no choice but to give him a chance.

RW is a much better QB than the Rams had, and we could have pieces to an offense that he can make work together.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
sedrohawk":rfiulmi7 said:
Wasn't he the coordinator when Curtis Martin led the league in rushing?

Curtis Martin suffered an injury and retired in 2006. 2006 was the first year with Schottenheimer as the Jets OC. I’m pretty disappointed in this choice as there seemed that there were better options available and imo, he’s not much of an upgrade over Bevell. He does have history with JS.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Not disappointed with this replacement and still very glad Bevell is gone. We plateaued with him.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2h7efjd5 said:
sedrohawk":2h7efjd5 said:

Curtis Martin suffered an injury and retired in 2006. 2006 was the first year with Schottenheimer as the Jets OC. I’m pretty disappointed in this choice as there seemed that there were better options available. He does have history with both JS and PC. he was the te coach at usc the under Carroll.

He coached at USC before Carroll was hired there in 2001.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fgc2sz6 said:
Hawk-Lock":1fgc2sz6 said:
I don't want to look too much into his past, because that isn't fair. His QB's he has coordinated for have been Mark Sanchez in New York and then a mix of Bradford, Austin Davis, Kellen Clemens and Shaun Hill in Saint Louis. It's very likely that if he was able to run an offense for someone like Brees or Rodgers he would have had a lot more success.

What I do want to talk about is his play calling style. That Jets team was such a defensive force I remember their style of play being similar to RW's first few seasons with the Seahawks.

Overall it seems like an underwhelming hire, but his resume is incomplete because of the QB's he's had under him.

Or were those quarterbacks bad because of him?
No

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Ugh. Whatever, just going to cross my fingers and hope this doesn’t suck.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1s2yvbns said:
Hawkpower":1s2yvbns said:

Doesn't mean anything concrete of course, but it sure would have been nice if Pete would have taken a bit of a risk here with an innovator rather than a safe, retread, yes man that won't ruffle his feathers.

RW is a much better QB than the Rams had, and we could have pieces to an offense that he can make work together.

True.....and of course it could mean nothing.....but again, imagine our glee if the Rams were to ever hire Bevell. Its not completely inconsequential either.

I am willing to wait and see....I just think we could have done better that's all.

Hope he is great, obviously :)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1o5x4hsu said:
hawkfan68":1o5x4hsu said:
sedrohawk":1o5x4hsu said:

Curtis Martin suffered an injury and retired in 2006. 2006 was the first year with Schottenheimer as the Jets OC. I’m pretty disappointed in this choice as there seemed that there were better options available. He does have history with both JS and PC. he was the te coach at usc the under Carroll.

He coached at USC before Carroll was hired there in 2001.
Oh.. you’re correct.. I thought Carroll was there in 2000 but he became the coach at usc in 2001.

Rainger

Reaction score
Here is another link that seems to say that Shotts is not that bad and with some pieces to work with might actually make the Hawks better.
https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/12/ ... with-colts

"The Colts would be wise to suggest that the new coach hang on to him, as his knowledge, ability to get results from lesser talent and his work ethic is widely respected around the league. The Colts could do a lot worse than Brian Schottenheimer."

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Did we even interview? This seems incredibly rushed and impulsive move by Pete. Couldn’t wait a couple more weeks for other candidates?

I just don’t see shot being the guy to take Russ to the next level.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1h0xa1tb said:
Ad Hawk":1h0xa1tb said:
Hawkpower":1h0xa1tb said:

True.....and of course it could mean nothing.....but again, imagine our glee if the Rams were to ever hire Bevell. Its not completely inconsequential either.

I am willing to wait and see....I just think we could have done better that's all.

Hope he is great, obviously :)

Difference is, Bevell actually had a good QB.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I really don't want to have to change my handle to Schottenheimeristhedevil. It is way too long.

Seriously folks, it is a new set of eyes. Our offense was broken for at least 50% of every game. Situational awareness has been terrible.

Do you really think it could get worse?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Schotty is a pro-style coach, but he was recently at UGA under Richt. May have some college influence in his philosophy as a result. Let's see.