Brian Schottenheimer

fifty9fan

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3h812bfj said:
fifty9fan":3h812bfj said:
Hawkscanner":3h812bfj said:
fifty9fan":3h812bfj said:
I remember a head coach that went 41-55 in his first 6 seasons. Dude's name is Bill Belichick.

I also remember Pete Carroll getting run out of the NFL on a rail after going 33-31 as a head coach with the Jets and Pats. Comes back in 2010 and has gone 79-48 since.

Bet the folks in Buffalo were just thrilled to get Marv Levy, who went 31-42 in 5 seasons with KC. 4 Superbowl appearances later, and a 112-70 record with the Bills created one of the NFL's great runs, and if the ball had bounced differently a couple of times, they may have been named among the dynasties of the late 80's/early 90's.

Point is, I don't think any of us have any idea what Schotty is gonna bring to the Seahawk table...just like the fans of the Pats, Seahawks and Bills had no clue either. And many of them cursed those hires, but in time, discovered the ability of humans to adapt, grow and succeed in new environments. Here's hoping the same thing happens to Schotty. I, for one, welcome his hire and hope for great results. And I can't wait to see what he does with Russ!!

It's certainly possible it may turn out to be a less than stellar hire, but right now, it's all good.

Go Hawks!!

Now THERE's a voice of reason and experience! Absolutely right. Look, Brian Scottenheimer is 44 years old -- 44 years old! Some people here seem to be treating him like he's 94 years old, sitting in an Alzheimer's unit, spending his days chewing on his dentures or something. 44 is pretty darned young people ... and like fifty9fan is saying, people re-invent themselves all the time. They figure things out ... adapt over time ... and can actually make some pretty significant personal changes and the way they approach things.

I'll raise my hand as one of those. I turn 47 next month (so I'm just a shade older than Scottenheimer here). Speaking purely for myself, when I was in my 20s (as I look back now), I thought I was pretty smart and knew everything. In my 30s, I would say that I came to realize that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. As a whole, I was fairly stressed and worried during those years, spending most of my energies figuring out career and how to provide for my family. I worked myself to death in a lot of ways, trying to please my bosses and make everyone around me happy. It's only been in the last 3-4 years that things have really started clicking for me. I've made some fairly significant shifts in the way I view things. I've learned from past mistakes ... and view life through much different lenses now than I did even 10 years ago. The glass is much more 1/2 full for me now (it was more 1/2 empty back then).

Let's put things into perspective by going back to Pete Carroll. You guys realize that Pete was 43 years old when he was fired by the Jets? He was 48 when he was fired by the Patriots. It was at that point (after he'd been fired the 2nd time) that he met John Wooden ... and that exchange changed the course of his life and set him on the path that he is now. Carroll said Wooden told him (I'm paraphrasing here), "You're trying to be something that you're not. Stop trying to be everyone else. Be the best you that you can be."
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/18965/carroll-john-wooden-transformed-career

So, USC fans reacted to them hiring a 50 year old Pete Carroll in 2001 ... very similar to a lot of Hawk fans are reacting to Brian Schottenheimer now.

Point being, we have no idea what this version of Brian Scottenheimer is going to look like in Seattle. I would posit to you that we learn far more from our failures in life ... than ever do from our successes. It's clear that he is a very hard working passionate coach. I'm willing to give him a chance and to not pre-judge him. I sincerely hope others will as well.

You said it wayyy better than me! :D
:irishdrinkers:

Thanks ... and I'll add what I added on to my comments above. As I read the Patton Richard Piece that Maelstrom787 posted above, I see a lot of my past self in Schottenheimer's attitudes there. BUT, I'm personally not that same guy anymore. In that piece, Scottenheimer was 38 years then ... he's 44 years old now. I hope that he's learned a few things over time as well. My best guess is that he probably has. AND furthermore ... he strikes me as exactly the kind of guy whom Pete Carroll could have a real positive effect on. Carroll could be for Schottenheimer ... what Wooden was for Carroll. Just a thought people.

As I said, don't pre-judge this guy. Give him a chance.

On a side note, while reading up on him yesterday, I was saddened to see that his Dad is battling Alzheimer's. I hadn't heard that.

Gibbo

Reaction score
I’m in just because we can call him Schotty

What a name

Own The West

Reaction score
Gibbo":2so1peyc said:

What a name

Shoddy + S**tty = Schotty, right?

And we’ve seen plenty of ‘schotty’ offense lately, so he should fit right in! :sarcasm_off:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Gibbo":l48bd856 said:

What a name
I can just see what it's going to be in the shack after some games.
I just hope we ace the QB coach,OL,Def cord and K pickups
we do that then we will be gold.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Came in here expecting to paint a negative picture of the hire but people are jumping off the cliff so no need to. While I'm not overly excited about it there are some things that point to this possibly working out. He is better presnap then Bevell was which is something Ray Roberts pointed out as a major problem for Seattle, he's made most QBs look better after working with them, and he utilizes the check down which is an area Bevell ignored. I'm not super excited but there are some positives to look to. It will be fun to see how this shakes out.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Own The West":13x78vy4 said:
Gibbo":13x78vy4 said:

What a name

Shoddy + S**tty = Schotty, right?

And we’ve seen plenty of ‘schotty’ offense lately, so he should fit right in! :sarcasm_off:
Oh no.

Never thought of that.

You’ve ruined it for me now.

Schotty Out!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":2dvm84j7 said:
Did someone think the hawks were going to hire some sexy coach who throws it creatively across the field? It was always goin to be a hardnose running guy. Let’s see what he brings and then judge.

I wouldn't use the word sexy, but I think he's a decent looking dude.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Reading comments on the net from Forbes to GangGreen, this hire is being overwhelmingly panned.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The more I read about Schottenheimer, the more optimistic I am that he's going to end up being a decent hire.

I think he can put together a decent offense here. More importantly, I think he can deliver the type of offense that can work in harmony with Pete's philosophy, which is good for overall results.

Get this man a running back!!

D

DomeHawk

Of course we are all looking for that football genius that will bring real innovation to a struggling yet talented offense. One important point to remember though is this is the NFL where the players have gotten so big AND fast AND strong that getting cute w/imaginative play calling can kill you.

I remember when Chip Kelly, whom delirious Oregon fans had proclaimed the football genius of our time, came to the NFL. We all saw how that turned out. What Oregon fans failed to realize was that although Kelly was imaginative, it took a certain great Hawaiian QB surrounded by other talented players to implement that style of play. The same thing happened at UW when Marques Tuiasasopo ran the option to perfection while subsequent UW option QB's (Stanback) were barely able to implement the option at all.

No, to be a successful OC in the NFL today takes real experience, the type of experience to be able to read what opposing defenses are taking away and what's available. Schottenheimer certainly has that experience, literally from day one, but it remains to be seen how all that experience will play out for us.

For now, at least, I'm not going to second guess a coach/GM that has taken us to two Super Bowls and a World Championship.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
DomeHawk":28nyxgcm said:
Of course we are all looking for that football genius that will bring real innovation to a struggling yet talented offense. One important point to remember though is this is the NFL where the players have gotten so big AND fast AND strong that getting cute w/imaginative play calling can kill you.

I remember when Chip Kelly, whom delirious Oregon fans had proclaimed the football genius of our time, came to the NFL. We all saw how that turned out. What Oregon fans failed to realize was that although Kelly was imaginative, it took a certain great Hawaiian QB surrounded by other talented players to implement that style of play. The same thing happened at UW when Marques Tuiasasopo ran the option to perfection while subsequent UW option QB's (Stanback) were barely able to implement the option at all.

No, to be a successful OC in the NFL today takes real experience, the type of experience to be able to read what opposing defenses are taking away and what's available. Schottenheimer certainly has that experience, literally from day one, but it remains to be seen how all that experience will play out for us.

For now, at least, I'm not going to second guess a coach/GM that has taken us to two Super Bowls and a World Championship.

Welcome, great first post!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm not thrilled about the hire. But my investment into the Seahawks is only as a fan so I don't have any control over who gets the job. I can only hope that the offense runs better under him. Anyway I found this article about him when he was hired by Mark Richt, Georgia.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...t-desired-offensive-philosophy-172245063.html.

I thought this may be good because it's a 3rd party view of how he fit into Richt's vision of the Georgia offense (at that time) which seems to be similar to what Pete Carroll wants the Seahawks to be.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Seahawks have done well with people that have experienced hardship with chip on their shoulder. Looks like this guy has it. Go Hawks!

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Alright everyone just take a damn breath!

I get it, it's not a sexy hire. But most of the sexy hires are looking at HC positions, not coordinator gigs. This was always the pool of applicants we were pulling from.

And it's not the end of the world. It's hardly even the beginning of anything! Worst case scenario is that this is a lateral move, which is still an improvement. Getting rid of Bevell wasn't just about changing scheme; his name had become toxic. His history had left him tainted. He was the source of tension in a clearly divided locker room. Even if Schotty comes in and calls the exact same plays, he will still be calling them with a clean slate and with the confidence of the whole team behind him--which is more than we had before.

Now: realize that he won't call the exact same plays, that we are finally trying something different, and, if the rumors are correct, that he will also have a say in who coaches the O-line.

This is what we asked for. This is what it looks like. If you were hoping to see Josh McDaniels come over to coach Wilson, you were always going to be disappointed.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that if we have an OC that understands that we have three downs to get ten yards, we will be ok. We have witnessed for the past 4 years an offense that has consisted mostly of smear the ***** and fly up and people worried we are going to get worse?

Shore up the offensive line and establish drives and not only will the defense look better but the offense will run into more points on accident.

I could care less if our new OC is "boring", as long as he is smart and flexible.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1vsz57z3 said:
MontanaHawk05":1vsz57z3 said:
Hawk-Lock":1vsz57z3 said:
I said this so many times, but be careful what you wish for. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Bingo.

Basically, we have another Bevell. And when we go 11-5 next year because we found some health and running game, then lose in the divisional round off the momentum from a couple of fluke plays, this time Pete will be the one to get the blame for hiring Schotty.

But, let's see what this other Bevell can do without Cable. I truly think he was the greater problem.
:ditto:

Fade

Reaction score
Pete wants to run the ball, he isn't concerned with the passing game. I guess he figures Russ will take care of that.

A mediocre hire indeed, but a mediocre hire that could work if they do run the ball.

If Pete cared about Russ he would of hired a WCO coach that fits Russ like a glove. Russ is very talented, and a tireless worker though, so he can fit in any system.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":11c3anu6 said:
Pete wants to run the ball, he isn't concerned with the passing game. I guess he figures Russ will take care of that.

A mediocre hire indeed, but a mediocre hire that could work if they do run the ball.

If Pete cared about Russ he would of hired a WCO coach that fits Russ like a glove. Russ is very talented, and a tireless worker though, so he can fit in any system.

Seems a bit hyperbolic.

If he doesn't care about the passing game, then why would he hire a QB coach who tutored Drew Brees during four formative seasons in San Diego and helped Andrew Luck to his best season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
fifty9fan":3g0c3i8b said:
I remember a head coach that went 41-55 in his first 6 seasons. Dude's name is Bill Belichick.

I also remember Pete Carroll getting run out of the NFL on a rail after going 33-31 as a head coach with the Jets and Pats. Comes back in 2010 and has gone 79-48 since.

Bet the folks in Buffalo were just thrilled to get Marv Levy, who went 31-42 in 5 seasons with KC. 4 Superbowl appearances later, and a 112-70 record with the Bills created one of the NFL's great runs, and if the ball had bounced differently a couple of times, they may have been named among the dynasties of the late 80's/early 90's.

Point is, I don't think any of us have any idea what Schotty is gonna bring to the Seahawk table...just like the fans of the Pats, Seahawks and Bills had no clue either. And many of them cursed those hires, but in time, discovered the ability of humans to adapt, grow and succeed in new environments. Here's hoping the same thing happens to Schotty. I, for one, welcome his hire and hope for great results. And I can't wait to see what he does with Russ!!

It's certainly possible it may turn out to be a less than stellar hire, but right now, it's all good.

Go Hawks!!

I'm sure Rams fans said the same thing about his Jets tenure. For every such story, there are five that just plunk.

I'm operating on pure cynicism right now, I'll admit. Truth is, with a QB who's been good for nine wins per season (eleven with a capable kicker), I doubt Schotty looks all that bad in 2018.

We'll see.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
According to this article, BS is a zone blocking system guy. So don’t expect that philosophy to change. Hopefully they’ll find a coach who can teach it better to the players.
https://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/2/19/4003178/ggn-chalkboard-offensive-line-play-101

Furthermore, the author suggests that the ZBS is a simpler to learn than man blocking. What did Cable do to make a simple system difficult for the players? Whatever was done I hope can be reversed quickly and improve the play moving forward.