Brooks over Queen

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Brooks' style per a Carroll defense is more suited for Seattle schemes.

Brooks is thought of as a tackling machine and Carroll's defense is built with linebackers needing to tackle at the second level.

Brooks has the speed and time at various linebacker positions that Seattle covets in case/when Wagner and Wright leaves to replace them.

Queen simply per Carroll's determination, did not fit the schemes and strategies that Seattle likes to play.

It is also thought that Queen had a single good year at LSU and Brooks had years of "good" years according to the Seattle scouts.

That is why Seattle drafted Brooks and not Queen.

Its difficult NOT to compare them but in terms of Seattle's defense vs Baltimore's defense schemes, it's almost an apples and oranges comparison.

Maybe Queen would have looked great in Seattle's scheme? Maybe Queen wouldn't have.

But from my understanding, the listed above justification I had mentioned is why Seattle drafted Brooks over Queen.

Any additional insider take/thoughts are welcomed.

Own The West

Reaction score
Queen starts and gets 50 snaps per game. Brooks doesn't start and gets 10 snaps per game.

Queen would not start here either. He is a slower, greener version of Shaquem Griffin.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Own The West":33jz0i5a said:
Queen would not start here either. He is a slower, greener version of Shaquem Griffin.

No way. Patrick Queen is an amazing linebacker who is off to a great start.
This statement is so far off the rails I hope you're joking.
Shaquem has a great heart and a great story and I wish him nothing but the best. But he's nowhere close to Queen. We saw what Shaquem did when he started vs Denver. Phillip Lindsey made him look slow and lost. I can't even right now. No. No.

And as far as Brooks goes, I didn't like the pick now and I like it less and less as the season goes on. But the jury is still out and will remain hopeful. I would rather either of them over Barton imo

Ozzy

Reaction score
He just got named AFC defensive player of the week and almost everyone in the scouting community had him rated higher than Brooks. The way we’ve drafted the past few years it’s hard to cut them some slack on this one.

Fade

Reaction score
Jordan Brooks was drafted to be the eventual Bobby Wagner replacement long term at Mike. Queen is too small for that spot.

2021 - 31 yrs old - 17.15M cap number
2022 - 32 yrs old - 20.35M cap number

Bobby isn't making it to 2022. He might not even make it to 2021. Those cap numbers are insanely high for an aging linebacker.

Short term, Brooks was drafted as insurance just in case KJ fell off at Will, or if they had an injury at Sam.

Talent wise Brooks is a 1st rd talent, but at a position where the pundits question whether it's worth picking in the 1st rd in a passing league. Sort of like Penny, watch Penny run and it's obvious at that size and speed he is a 1st round talent, but also too at a position people question if its worth spending a 1st round pick on.

Seattle loves to overcorrect from their prior mistakes. After drafting Malik McDowell they made sure to draft all goody2shoes the following draft. Last year they reached for a DE they had no business picking in the 1st rd, but had a need there. So this year they wanted to make sure they drafted talent first (need second). Brooks was the 2nd backer off of the board, they essentially had their pick of the litter. Collier the year prior was like the 10th DE off of the board or something insane like that.

I think both Brooks and Queen are going to be good players. I don't see either being busts.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Brooks has a bigger frame and is a long term play. Agree with Fade that he is Bobby's eventual replacement. Queen is probably going to be a great WLB but will likely not have the versatility we were targeting. Unfortunately this season having an All Rookie WLB could be the difference between NFCCG and SB Champ. Only time will tell.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm on the Jordyn Brooks bandwagon and I think Pete and John absolutely got this one right. Fade and Wenhawk have pretty well nailed it.

Queen could be a poor man's Jamal Adams. Wait, that would still be pretty good. I'll still take Brooks. The Hawks got this one right, for what Seattle needs. Nothing against Queen. Brooks is a little stouter, and more likely to hold up for a few more years.

Queen got AFC Defensive Player of the Week? Guess who else was AFC Defensive Player of the Week? Yup, our own Brian Bosworth, in week 15 of his Rookie Year. Boz also had 4 sacks that year, would have been the Seahawks 2019 team sack leader. Boz's body failed him in the NFL. Maybe Queen will be highly durable in the NFL; I'd roll the dice on Brooks, in preference.

We need Brooks' speed to chase and catch Kyler Murray, Deebo Samuel, and all those speedy Rams players. Our D was getting old and slow. Pete and John got DK right, and they got Brooks right. Brooks is actually faster than his combine times showed, due to timing of injuries and recovery. When Brooks chases and catches Kyler Murray, stopping a 20-yard gain, you'll know it was the right choice. When 49ers Deebo Samuel does that end-around play, and Brooks tackles Deebo from behind to keep it to a 2 yard gain, instead of 20, you'll know it was the right choice.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Brooks has 1 TACKLE as a Seahawk so far. 1. To act like you have ANY argument that he is better than Queen TODAY is just disingenuous. Do you have HOPE? Sure. But as of today Queen has performed and Brooks has not. Tomorrow? Who knows, Pete is great at Picking players that get injured before or during their rookie seasons though.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":y9yd918f said:
Brooks has 1 TACKLE as a Seahawk so far. 1. To act like you have ANY argument that he is better than Queen TODAY is just disingenuous. Do you have HOPE? Sure. But as of today Queen has performed and Brooks has not. Tomorrow? Who knows, Pete is great at Picking players that get injured before or during their rookie seasons though.

You sure are beating the hell out of that strawman. The strawman'll have to throw in the towel eventually, right?

No one is comparing their current stat sheets and saying Brooks has the more impressive statistics so far. What we are saying is that comparing stat sheets 5 games in for vastly different players with vastly different situations and using that comparison to say a pick was a mistake is asinine.

Seriously, though. Please quote a single example of anyone making the argument that you're referring to as "disingenious." Point out a single poster saying Brooks is statistically performing better than Queen.