Bucs running game

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
Al Woods is ageing, Mone isn't more then a fill in body,and we replaced Wagner with Barton. Of coarse our run game has gone down hill. But we need to address these things in the 2023 draft.

AND not to mention Poona will be a free agent next season-this is why I'm hoping they go D-line with the first pick of the draft next year.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Our defensive front needs talent along with our linebacker group. It doesn’t matter what defense you run if the talent isn’t there.

I would expect the Seahawks to target these areas in the draft. Especially if we don’t need to draft a qb with a high pick.

In fact I’ll guess we draft a 3-4 olb with the first pick and an interior dl or inside linebacker with the second 1st.

keasley45

Reaction score

Great breakdown of why we failed against the Bucs run game. Our guys just aren't quite getting the 3-4 gap assignments and in the pass game (not talked about here, but Pete touched on it Tuesday) the communication between defenders who are passing off wr's hasn't been great. The Bucs did a good job of running out of passing formations to get an advantage in the box. That, combined with poor execution, led to the failure.

Depressing to know how basic an error it was. Encouraging to know it's entirely fixable.

So it's not necessarily a personnel thing (although not having Mone dressed was a mistake), but still an issue of a defense not quite being on the same page.

In terms of passing, you could see it plainly in the breakdown in another YouTube vid of Jones's TD, that Woolen was passing Jones off to Brooks, but that Brooks didn't read the play correctly and let Jones run free.

renofox

Reaction score

Great breakdown of why we failed against the Bucs run game. Our guys just aren't quite getting the 3-4 gap assignments and in the pass game (not talked about here, but Pete touched on it Tuesday) the communication between defenders who are passing off wr's hasn't been great. The Bucs did a good job of running out of passing formations to get an advantage in the box. That, combined with poor execution, led to the failure.

Depressing to know how basic an error it was. Encouraging to know it's entirely fixable.

So it's not necessarily a personnel thing (although not having Mone dressed was a mistake), but still an issue of a defense not quite being on the same page.

In terms of passing, you could see it plainly in the breakdown in another YouTube vid of Jones's TD, that Woolen was passing Jones off to Brooks, but that Brooks didn't read the play correctly and let Jones run free.

What I heard in that video is that the D went BACK to 2-gap concepts - the same scheme they were using during the 1st 5 games of the season when they were being shredded.

Week 6 they changed to 1-gapping and the D turned it around.

If true, I wonder why they went back to 2-gap concepts? Maybe to be able to put more players into pass coverage?

keasley45

Reaction score
What I heard in that video is that the D went BACK to 2-gap concepts - the same scheme they were using during the 1st 5 games of the season when they were being shredded.

Week 6 they changed to 1-gapping and the D turned it around.

If true, I wonder why they went back to 2-gap concepts? Maybe to be able to put more players into pass coverage?

Yup. Pete said they thought that they could handle the Bucs run game 2 gapping, so they made Mone a healthy scratch and dropped an extra guy into coverage.

Didn't work because they aren't communicating the strategy effectively - guys aren't being decisive enough in which gap they're taking which then has a ripple effect into the 2nd level.

Slow execution, bad communication.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score

It's EXACTLY a personnel thing, go look at that video again at 1:57 against the Giants and tell me who you DO NOT see on the field, Cody Barton- on that play they are in a 3-3-5 alignment, I call this the GOOD nickel, I like the way Dave breaks this down, all gaps are covered and Brooks gets a tackle for loss. NOW....look at the video at 3:44 now they are in a 2-4-5 alignment, and guess who is there, Barton..this is the BAD nickel, because they are outmatched in the gaps, and Cody is so slow to react to the RB- I brought this up on the first page, Dave's video just confirms it, the 2 man fronts don't work against the run for this team, they are just too slow to react.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score

Pete's theory was TB would try and beat them through the air, the Bucs came out with a bold strategy to run it 40+ times and it paid off-they were shredded on the ground

keasley45

Reaction score
After watching the mic'd up game vid,I think the strategy was made worse by the field as much as anything else. 2 gapping requires sudden lateral movement once the defender decides which gap he's going to take - left or right. If you can't plant and move laterally, the scheme is defeated at the snap. Any hesitancy compounds matters. You could see our guys complaining about the fact that they had no footing and that to compensate, the DT should just push their guys straight back. But that's not how the scheme works.

It was just an unfortunate decision to go with the light front.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
After watching the mic'd up game vid,I think the strategy was made worse by the field as much as anything else. 2 gapping requires sudden lateral movement once the defender decides which gap he's going to take - left or right. If you can't plant and move laterally, the scheme is defeated at the snap. Any hesitancy compounds matters. You could see our guys complaining about the fact that they had no footing and that to compensate, the DT should just push their guys straight back. But that's not how the scheme works.

It's why I don't really care for the international games, they'll put these massive 300lb linemen on a soccer field and expect everything will be fine. Meanwhile guys are sliding all over the place and risk even greater injury.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Let's see, Can't stop the run, check. Can run the ball, check. Can't tackle, check. I'll timed turnover, check. Can't get any pressure on the QB, Check. Thats an L, every time.

cymatica

Reaction score

If you know this, then it really boggles my mind how professional coaches let this go right over their head