Cards vs Niners: Who you rooting for to win?

Cards vs Niners: Who you rooting for to win?

• Cardinals

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 49ers

Votes: 64 80.0%

• Total voters

byau

Reaction score
This should be interesting.

While we have lots of great posters that are fans of each team, naturally I'm mostly interested in seeing the posts and comments from Seahawks fans. (Still feel free to chime in Cards and 49ers fans: Ringless, Pop, Marvin, etc)

The case for the Cardinals:

From a rivalry point of view, I still want to root against the 49ers at all costs. Plus I don't really like the the 49ers players that I can easily name. For the most part I still think your rival is your rival even if they are projected to be a non-playoff team and not much of a divisional threat. So if I'm rooting against the 49ers, that means I'm rooting for the Cardinals.

The case for the 49ers:

Interestingly, while I like most of the Cardinals players I can name ... however, something about Bruce Arians really makes me want to smack his hat off and I've started to develop a sports hate for the Cardinals because of that (maybe I'm listening to too much Mike Salk). Not to mention they are 2-0, and seemingly our biggest thread in winning the NFC West. And it's likely harmless rooting for the 49ers if in fact they have taken a huge step down and are going to be a non-playoff team anyway.

My Vote: Rooting for the 49ers (aka against the Cardinals)

The tipping point: because we started 0-2. And the Cardinals are 2-0

What say you .NET?

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Marvin49":3kazwuil said:
...I'll just abstain...

Hopefully no offense taken by my poll to our resident 49ers and Cardinals fans.

Marvin49

Reaction score
byau":23fyofng said:
Marvin49":23fyofng said:
...I'll just abstain...

Nah. :) Just didn't want to skew results. :D

nanomoz

Reaction score
You gotta root for the Niners, right? The Cards are more likely to take the division.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is like asking which eye you want poked out, left or right.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
nanomoz":2cj2u582 said:
You gotta root for the Niners, right? The Cards are more likely to take the division.

Well it certainly complicates matters that's for sure.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Marvin49":gzvihcpv said:
byau":gzvihcpv said:
Marvin49":gzvihcpv said:
...I'll just abstain...

Nah. :) Just didn't want to skew results. :D

:)

Though looking at the early reports looks like you wouldn't have skewed much .. I mean look at all the outpouring of support for you guys!!

:D

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
chris98251":306i3gye said:
This is like asking which eye you want poked out, left or right.

Which is maybe why after phrasing the question the way I did (who are you rooting for to win?) I realized my response was phrased with whom am I rooting against aka whom am I rooting for to lose.

Almost like the Steelers vs Pats opener

I think it was either Tom Wassel (sp?) or Mike Salk who said that while it was hard to pick who you would want to win, usually during the game it becomes pretty evident whom you end up wanting to root for. Interested to see how that'll pan out. I surprised myself in the opener that as the game progressed I found myself rooting hard against the Steelers and thereby rooting for the Pats.

NINEster

Reaction score
Curious about the players aspect......

You don't like the Niners players because most of the big names left the team or bc you feel there's a negative element to those who play there?

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
NINEster":v2bwk7a0 said:
Curious about the players aspect......

You don't like the Niners players because most of the big names left the team or bc you feel there's a negative element to those who play there?

Just me being a goody two shoes probably because it's more about off-the-field behavior. I have in my mind an ideal picture of how I'd hope my team's players would project themselves off the field.

Going by what I remember from instagram, social media, and news stuff, etc... the Cardinals seem to be more respected (e.g. Larry Fitzgerald, Carson Palmer) than the 49ers (e.g. Kaep, Aldon Smith though now he's ex-49er)

The few stories that immediately come to mind are Kaep getting trolled on twitter over the summer compared to how respected Fitz is and how he'd have been a good Seahawk. Oh and the little girls' soccer team getting displaced by the Yorks when they built the Santa Clara stadium. Guess that isn't technically a player thing but an organization thing.

Anyway you can see it's really not much and I'm sure someone can come right in and poke holes in my post about good examples of the 49ers and bad examples of the Cards. But anyway there it is.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think the obvious answer for a Hawks fan would be to root for the 9ers because that would seem to be in the Hawks' best interest.

The only wrinkle would be that if the 9ers win, it might mean that there's actually two good teams in the division beyond the Hawks, instead of just the Cardinals.

I don't think the 9ers are winning and don't think they'll be contenders for a playoff spot this year, but them winning would definitely make the division more interesting. (At this point I think the safe and general assumption is just the Hawks and Cards are competing to not make the playoffs as a WC team).

Edit: didn't vote, btw, but just wanted to respond because I think it's an interesting question. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Popeyejones":113gqjkz said:
I think the obvious answer for a Hawks fan would be to root for the 9ers because that would seem to be in the Hawks' best interest.

The only wrinkle would be that if the 9ers win, it might mean that there's actually two good teams in the division beyond the Hawks, instead of just the Cardinals.

This is a good point, another little interesting twist because it's so early in the season, who knows what a legit 49er victory over the Cards might develop into and what fortunes might change in the NFC West.

Edit: didn't vote, btw, but just wanted to respond because I think it's an interesting question. :th2thumbs:

Appreciate it :)

Fade

Reaction score
I want the Niners to quit on the season ASAP making that Thursday night game in Santa Clara easier. The Cards will fade in the 2nd half of the season.

Erebus

Reaction score
It's hard to know who to root for early in the season. Last year, for example, I was rooting for the Cowboys against the 49ers in week one. I was upset at the time that the 49ers won. Later in the year it turned out to be a good thing. If the Cowboys had won, they would've had the #1 seed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sure I have to root for the 49ers in this one.Let a little air out of Ringless lol .Anyway do i think it will happen?No but SC did win their opener when not expected to.

ringless

Reaction score
This thread makes me happy. I'll take it as a line of thinking of whats hopefully to come.

Who knows, maybe deep down 49ers fans are rooting for the Cardinals this week. Which is why Marvin and Popeye didn't cast a vote supposedly. They know they wont win the division this year, so they want whats second best and are secretly rooting for the Cardinals to take the division away from the Seahawks. (which explains how AZ got 3 votes thus far)

Just an unlikely theory lol

Seahawks rooting for 49ers, 49ers rooting for Cardinals. Some big circle jerk

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I prefer the Niners win.

But the Cards are going to shred that secondary.