Celebrating Positivity!

John63

Reaction score
RiverDog":1eiojgfs said:
RiverDog":1eiojgfs said:
Obviously it's a nice gesture that I join in applauding, but you have to be extremely naive if you don't recognize that there are ulterior motives at work in the form of image building, and no one is more image conscious that Russell.

John63":1eiojgfs said:
Okay, prove it? You're so sure he has ulterior motives to prove it?

This is the problem with this whole forum a player can't even do something good without people going into the deepest part of their own self to try to show it is something bad. Says a lot about the people in this forum.

The proof is in his Tweet and the picture of him and that big check. Why do you think he had to make such a big deal of it? Why didn't he write a check and just discretely stick it in the mail like the hundreds of thousands of other people in this country that donate to charity do? When they pass the hat in church, do you ever see someone stand up and say "Hey, man, that's a $20 I just put in there!"

The answer is that Russell wants everybody to see what a great guy he is. There are a lot of people in this country that make 7 figure donations to charity and they do it for a variety of reasons, and they're not all altruistic and they don't all brag about it over Twitter.

There are tangible benefits from making such a large, very public donation, including the tax breaks he'll receive, the increase in sales of his jerseys and other paraphernalia, and the marketability of his name, ie commercials and endorsements. There's also intangible benefits, such as in contract negotiations. He is stroking his considerable fan base that is not going to be very happy if the Hawks management get into a contract dispute with him.

I'm not saying anything bad about it. The part you must have overlooked in my original comment was that it's a very nice gesture for Russell to make that donation and I by no means want to suggest that he's being insincere about it. To the contrary, everything I've ever heard about Russell is that he's a genuine nice guy that truly cares about others. But you'd have to have your head stuck in the sand if you didn't recognize the fact that there's more to a donation like that than a simple act of charity.

The picture is not proof of anything other than he did it. Again simply prove there is more to it? Again my issue with this whole forum is the need to always go to the dark side always a but, he played great but, he gave a million but.

Try it simply he did a great thing. leave it at that don't try to diminish it. When Baldwin gave money a year or so ago, it was pictured in the news local tv and posted here. No one diminished it. So why do it now? no good reason to at all.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
RiverDog":38lfq7rr said:
RiverDog":38lfq7rr said:
Obviously it's a nice gesture that I join in applauding, but you have to be extremely naive if you don't recognize that there are ulterior motives at work in the form of image building, and no one is more image conscious that Russell.

John63":38lfq7rr said:

This is the problem with this whole forum a player can't even do something good without people going into the deepest part of their own self to try to show it is something bad. Says a lot about the people in this forum.

The proof is in his Tweet and the picture of him and that big check. Why do you think he had to make such a big deal of it? Why didn't he write a check and just discretely stick it in the mail like the hundreds of thousands of other people in this country that donate to charity do? When they pass the hat in church, do you ever see someone stand up and say "Hey, man, that's a $20 I just put in there!"

The answer is that Russell wants everybody to see what a great guy he is. There are a lot of people in this country that make 7 figure donations to charity and they do it for a variety of reasons, and they're not all altruistic and they don't all brag about it over Twitter.

There are tangible benefits from making such a large, very public donation, including the tax breaks he'll receive, the increase in sales of his jerseys and other paraphernalia, and the marketability of his name, ie commercials and endorsements. There's also intangible benefits, such as in contract negotiations. He is stroking his considerable fan base that is not going to be very happy if the Hawks management get into a contract dispute with him.

I'm not saying anything bad about it. The part you must have overlooked in my original comment was that it's a very nice gesture for Russell to make that donation and I by no means want to suggest that he's being insincere about it. To the contrary, everything I've ever heard about Russell is that he's a genuine nice guy that truly cares about others. But you'd have to have your head stuck in the sand if you didn't recognize the fact that there's more to a donation like that than a simple act of charity.

That's not the nature of a fund raiser ......................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SCTherapeutics/status/1413523922440523783[/tweet]

It was all about a community collectively donating what they could in support of a fund raiser to help more children like Greta ...............

[tweet]https://twitter.com/seattlechildren/status/1419794919904972803[/tweet]

.................. Volunteer to help others! It will change your life for the better!

RiverDog

Reaction score
John63":3osl8h7j said:
The picture is not proof of anything other than he did it. Again simply prove there is more to it? Again my issue with this whole forum is the need to always go to the dark side always a but, he played great but, he gave a million but.

Try it simply he did a great thing. leave it at that don't try to diminish it. When Baldwin gave money a year or so ago, it was pictured in the news local tv and posted here. No one diminished it. So why do it now? no good reason to at all.

I'll toss it right back to you: Prove that Russell's motivation is 100% altruistic, that not a single one of my points so much as flashed across his mind. I can't prove that it is and you can't prove that it isn't.

The reason Baldwin didn't attract the same amount of suspicion that Russell does is because ADB wasn't in the news as being rumored to be forcing a trade, didn't embrace a "Let Russ Cook" brand, wasn't the face of the franchise, and so on. Russell is in the public spotlight many times more often than ADB was, nearly all of which is at his choosing. It's only natural that people are going to raise eyebrows at such a public display when he's in our face 24/7 and so willingly puts himself in the fish bowl. It comes with the territory.

You seem to think that there is no middle road for a POV on this matter, that one can't have an opinion that Russell might have had both altruistic as well as very selfish interests in making such a public thing out of his donation, that Russell is either a selfish jerk or a Saint. That's exactly where I'm coming from. I've seen and heard other things that Russell has done in the past that has led me to form an opinion on what all might be motivating him, and IMO it's a lot more complex than a simple giving to charity.

Your "issue with this whole forum" sounds like a personal problem to me. Perhaps you're expecting others to think exactly as you do. What's the sense in having a forum if we're all going to be in complete agreement on everything?

John63

Reaction score
Jville":1sjt0r28 said:
RiverDog":1sjt0r28 said:
RiverDog":1sjt0r28 said:

John63":1sjt0r28 said:

That's not the nature of a fund raiser ......................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SCTherapeutics/status/1413523922440523783[/tweet]

It was all about a community collectively donating what they could in support of a fund raiser to help more children like Greta ...............

[tweet]https://twitter.com/seattlechildren/status/1419794919904972803[/tweet]

.................. Volunteer to help others! It will change your life for the better!

This^^^

John63

Reaction score
RiverDog":2wpjxn2u said:
John63":2wpjxn2u said:

I'll toss it right back to you: Prove that Russell's motivation is 100% altruistic, that not a single one of my points so much as flashed across his mind. I can't prove that it is and you can't prove that it isn't.

The reason Baldwin didn't attract the same amount of suspicion that Russell does is because ADB wasn't in the news as being rumored to be forcing a trade, didn't embrace a "Let Russ Cook" brand, wasn't the face of the franchise, and so on. Russell is in the public spotlight many times more often than ADB was, nearly all of which is at his choosing. It's only natural that people are going to raise eyebrows at such a public display when he's in our face 24/7 and so willingly puts himself in the fish bowl. It comes with the territory.

You seem to think that there is no middle road for a POV on this matter, that one can't have an opinion that Russell might have had both altruistic as well as very selfish interests in making such a public thing out of his donation, that Russell is either a selfish jerk or a Saint. That's exactly where I'm coming from. I've seen and heard other things that Russell has done in the past that has led me to form an opinion on what all might be motivating him, and IMO it's a lot more complex than a simple giving to charity.

Your "issue with this whole forum" sounds like a personal problem to me. Perhaps you're expecting others to think exactly as you do. What's the sense in having a forum if we're all going to be in complete agreement on everything?

I don't have to prove anything I did not question his motives you did.

RiverDog

Reaction score
John63":fr0phvkd said:

You were asked by another poster to prove what you claim are his motives. You have just as much of an obligation to prove your opinion as I do mine.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toffee":2fx61mei said:
Mizak":2fx61mei said:
John63":2fx61mei said:
QuahHawk":2fx61mei said:
If Russ was so truely altruistic then why put it out there last year you want a trade, why take the highest cap number of any NFL player, why have a podcast, why is he always trying to be in the spotlight on social media or social events.

I love what he has done for the community but I belive it is more about being PC to gain fans and look the part than we would like to think.

Hmm I believe you have just shown yourself to be a despicable person. Who has probably done nothing for anyone but themselves. How pathetic your an administrator.

Calm down. No one has the time to watch you have a meltdown over a guy who won’t even acknowledge your existence.

Team Russ at work, got to right every wrong on Mr. Wilson. That being said, J63 is getting increasingly desperate, he used to write long eloquent rebuttals back by stats, now he simply call folks names and attack their value.
Value? what value?
All I'm seeing, is A LOT of 'YEAH BUT' folks not acknowledging the positives that Russ' notoriety & THE UPSIDE that he has brought to Seattle, but instead, they go dark & focus on all the POSSIBLE negatives, without KNOWING FOR A FACT how Wilson REALLY FEELS.
Anybody can push HATE, like an old phrase from a Johnny Cash song> 'Bad News Travels Like Wildfire, Good News Travels Slow'.
John63 obviously believes that the "Benefit of the Doubt" goes to Russell Wilson, and NOT to his detractors, and on THIS matter in particular, I have to say that I agree with him. :vodka:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":1ad89zcj said:
RiverDog":1ad89zcj said:
John63":1ad89zcj said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John63

Reaction score
RiverDog":18o0qb0m said:
John63":18o0qb0m said:

You were asked by another poster to prove what you claim are his motives. You have just as much of an obligation to prove your opinion as I do mine.

Again no I dont need to prove his motives as I don't question them. He did a good think for alot of people period.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
John63":35elh1ce said:
QuahHawk":35elh1ce said:
If Russ was so truely altruistic then why put it out there last year you want a trade, why take the highest cap number of any NFL player, why have a podcast, why is he always trying to be in the spotlight on social media or social events.

I love what he has done for the community but I belive it is more about being PC to gain fans and look the part than we would like to think.

Hmm I believe you have just shown yourself to be a despicable person. Who has probably done nothing for anyone but themselves. How pathetic your an administrator.
He is the site owner. I think an apology is in order. This was too much...

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Cyrus12":lonj808j said:
John63":lonj808j said:
QuahHawk":lonj808j said:

He is the site owner. I think an apology is in order. This was too much...

No kidding. Apology is definately in order.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
RiverDog":2f7r4we3 said:
RiverDog":2f7r4we3 said:

John63":2f7r4we3 said:

The "more to it" part of this one may be that it doesn't say Wilsons themselves donated that much money. It says they helped "raise" that much money for the cause. Si if Russ was doing anything with his image in this instance it was a tool to aid in the raising of those funds. The appearances are to increase public awareness of the cause. Image goes a long way in those type efforts.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2t2e1fgg said:
The "more to it" part of this one may be that it doesn't say Wilsons themselves donated that much money. It says they helped "raise" that much money for the cause. Si if Russ was doing anything with his image in this instance it was a tool to aid in the raising of those funds. The appearances are to increase public awareness of the cause. Image goes a long way in those type efforts.

Absolutely true, and like I said, I applaud Russell for his efforts. It's a worthy cause and I'm glad he's putting his popularity to good use. But there is obvious 'side benefits' to this very public act in that it helps promote that same public image of him that he can use for other, less altruistic purposes. That's all I'm saying.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why does it matter? He's doing something cool that helps others. Oh the horror...........
Welcome to 2022, when a good deed has to come with some "he did it but........." narrative. Geezus
If it gets even more people to donate, how is that bad thing? And why can't a guy just be a good guy w/out people downplaying what he does. As if it's not sincere that he's trying to do something good. He's been doing good for others ever since he came in to the league. Shouldn't that be a good thing?

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":14duaatl said:
Why does it matter? He's doing something cool that helps others. Oh the horror...........
Welcome to 2022, when a good deed has to come with some "he did it but........." narrative. Geezus
If it gets even more people to donate, how is that bad thing? And why can't a guy just be a good guy w/out people downplaying what he does. As if it's not sincere that he's trying to do something good. He's been doing good for others ever since he came in to the league. Shouldn't that be a good thing?

It matters to some of us to keep it in perspective.

And I am beginning to question your reading comprehension. How many times do I have to say that it's a very commendable action, that I'm glad that he's putting his popularity to good use, that I think that he's sincere, and so on?